Starting 5 for 2010-11

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by chillfan23, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Excellent article. Just one major, major, totally major problem. Its Dumars saying this stuff.

Just think if we had a coach who put out that message.

Once again, Joe, coach the team.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

This year...We'll start the season with a different owner.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think Joe might be too insular.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Start: Stuckey, White, Daye, JMAX, Monroe

2nd unit: Bynum, Rip, TMAC, Summers, Ben Wallace

Rejects by Dumars: Arroyo, Darko, Delfino, Sheed, Billups, Afflalo, Amir

My five rejects: Tay, Gordon, CV, Wilcox, JJ

If I had all these guys available, would I replace anyone in the rotation listed.

Yes. Billups instead of Stuckey. Affllalo instead of White. Delfino instead of Daye. Amir instead of JMAX. Monroe is probably a keeper.

Stuckey would move to the 2nd unit, no more Bynum. Rip stays in the second unit. I am going to guess TMAC stays. JMAX replaces Summers in the 2nd unit. Sheed replaces Ben Wallace. However, Ben Wallace makes the perfect 11th man. And heck, I would start Sheed along side Amir and move Monroe to the 2nd unit.

So, given all these choices, the rotation would be:

Start: Billups, Afflalo, Delfino, Amir, Sheed

2nd unit: Stuckey, Rip, TMAC, JMAX, Monroe.

And Ben Wallace as the 11 man, absolutely involved on a regular basis. And we keep Bynum for a spare point guard.

What do we then have to trade with to get the guys we don't have. Specifically Billups, Afflalo, Delfino, Amir, and Sheed.

We have Gordon, CV, Wilcox, Summers, JJ, White, Daye, Tay to trade with.

Sheed we could pick up for the league minimum perhaps. The rest is iffy. JJ, Summers, White, and Daye have questionable trade value at this point. CV and Gordon are the leagues rejects we gave a home to. Wilcox probably has a bad back and eveyone but Dumars probably knew it - which is why he gave away Afflalo and Amir to make room for the guy. Tay could be useful to at team if he shows he is reasonably healthy.

Meanwhile, Delfino has started a ton of game for his team. Toronto loves Amir's hustle. Denver would laugh at us if we asked for Billups or Afflalo back for anything we have on our team.

So hey, we have to increase trade value by the deadline. Targeting this rotation means we don't have to play Stuckey, Rip, TMAC, JMAX, nor Monroe much. Since we would be planning to keep these guys, lets make it look like the other guys won out.

So here is our rotation to start the season, with the sole purpose of gaining trade value for those who play a lot.

Start: Gordon at point, White, Tay, CV, Wilcox (hoping his back holds out just long enough so we can trade him.)

2nd unit: Stuckey, Daye, JJ, Summers, Ben Wallace
  5. Nemo

I always pegged Joe as being open to feedback...:stirthepot:

Now...wether or not he responds is another matter.
  6. max

max All-Star

Yea, that's what I don't understand. When you are 27-55 you pretty much draft a couple of guys and sign a vet or 2 to a min contract - thats about what he seems to be saying.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah they got the same team back, but we're forgetting the part where everyone made either a miraculous recovery like T-Mac or improved 1000% like Charlie V.

This team is going to be just as good as the Bad Boys, Joe said so. (I mistakenly typed Bad Buys, that seems more accurate unfortunately.) What time is the parade?

8. Nemo

That all sounds good coming from Joe, but the players nowadays are just different. I just don't think the results will be there.
  9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

guys... he never said they would be as good as the bad boys, he said the depth they have means practice will be like back then...

bad boys.... you had guys at 8-10's in talent across the board... made for intense great practice

todays boys.... you have guys 5-7 in talent across the board... makes for great practice (doesn't mean wins though :p)
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ernie knows that. He just likes being a weenie. :nerner:
  11. round

when do we get to have the weenie roast then? :stirthepot:
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We haven't lost a game yet.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Anyone know if we can rig League Pass to show the Pistons practices instead of their games? Those sound like they're going to be great.

I am also starting to really like the name Bad Buys for this team.

I've been wearing a ripped and torn neck t-shirt Tom Gores style lately and it has been paying off. I'm quite popular picking up my kids from pre-school and daycare.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Langlois' next article is going to be about how these Piston players can potentially get dressed the same way the Bad Boys did after practice.

"You know you put on your underwear, some socks, maybe an undershirt, a shirt, your shoes and you're ready to go. That's what we set ourselves up for - to get dressed like that again!" said Dumars
  15. round

your a good person.....
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hmm, Dantley, and later Aguirre, attempting to score vs. Dennis Rodman. talk about keeping your skills sharp. Edwards trying in vain to muscle out Laims for a rebound position. Dumars trying to score on Thomas? Pretty difficult. Dumars had one darn sly set of moves to score around the midrange area, you got to know scrimmaging against Thomas had to have had a lot to do with that.

And Thomas - he had to score against Dumars in practice - and Vinnie was no slouch at D either. And those crazy shots Vinnie got off after contact - look who he had to get the same shots off against in practice.

How about Edwards making his shots work over Salley's long arms? Or while Mahorn was beating him up?

Now, in defense of the current squad - hey, everyone gets to go up vs. Ben Wallace to see if their wares stink or not. And JMAX. The length of CV and Monroe will be a challenge. On the perimeter though, kind of lacking unless Tay can get totally healthy - in which case he represents some real difficulty getting a shot over. Maybe White and Daye. Ahh yes, Daye. Daye ain't as good as Amir was at getting out to a shooter with lots of length - but he ain't bad.

No, if Monroe has no hops, he won't be anywhere near what Salley was as far as a lengthy athletic defender around the hoop. Sheed was that guy for us though the year we won the title. (not as active, but every bit as tough) Crazy as it may seem, if Rodman could teach a guy like Daye to stay in the kind of shape Rodman kept himself in - I'd hire him as an assistant just for that. With Daye's length, if he could ever obtain the footwork level of Rodman he would really be something.

Stuckey can't fight thru picks like all the Bad Boys guards could, but he is taller and stronger than them. Not the weakest defender to try to get a shot off against in practice. Bynum has not a lot of height, but with two healthy ankles his footwork is pretty darn good to stay with you and bother your dribble and your ability to get into your shot.

Let me see, who else is pretty good on D. Summers has lots of strength. TMAC at his best was a fine defender. Rip has height, speed, and lots of experience. Yes, with a Stuckey / Rip backcourt - at least you make the other team run lots of plays with lots of picks to get a shot off of our taller guards. (at least until Bynum and Gordon get into the game.)

Yeah, those Bad Boys could put in 5 defenders the likes of which you can't hardly find today, and have another guy coming off the bench yet. (Paricularly I am thinking Salley off the bench with Thomas, Dumars, Rodman, Mahorn, and Laim out on the floor.)

But our current set of Pistons do have some defensive talent too. Practice should be no picnic for guys trying to score the bucket.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We talking bout practice?
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

19. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

20. Nemo

That kind of talk worries me...So he sees 60 victories, cause generally the best wins that many. :cold: