Starting 5 for 2010-11

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by chillfan23, Jul 19, 2010.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

60 wins on paper = 26 wins on wood
  2. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I like your math...I might use that for this years victory prediction... :eyebrows: :nod:
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Looks like Jogging Rodney has been reading too much Keith Langlois lately. What kind of Bizzaro world does he live in where he views the Pistons as the best team in the league?

When he said "on paper", maybe he meant on acid! :stupid:
  4. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I usually put something else on paper before I roll it up...
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Since paper is made out of wood, shouldn't there be more wins on wood than paper?

LOL. It's hard to do both in one quote! :pound:
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ok, so lets break this down in parts.

Bigs. I say we can run five bigs out there.

JMAX, Monroe, Ben Wallace, CV, Summers. Odd man out: JJ

Small forward. We can play 3 guys there easy. Keep Tay's minutes down, since he is coming off a season where he played so little. Baby steps are needed for him right now, not being thrown in at full minutes. And TMAC played even less last year. So make sure Daye Gets some burn there. Odd man out: JJ.

Shooting guard. This one is tough. Or is it. Hey, just split the minutes down the minute between Rip and Gordon, 24 minutes apiece. Plenty of time for each to get involved in the games.

Point guard, run a trio of Stuckey, Bynum, and White. Give Stuckey 24 minutes a night, and switch between Bynum and White for while for the back up minutes. Can't hurt at all to have 3 point guards on a team.

In all, lets count em. Stuckey, Bynum, White, Rip, Gordon, Tay, TMAC, Daye, JMAX, Ben Wallace, CV, Monroe, Summers. 13 guys involved in the rotatation - with White and Bynum the two guys taking turns not dressing.

JJ could dress any night TMAC is not dressed. There would be some competition between him and Daye as to who at season's end gets the remaining small forward minutes after Tay and TMAC.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

tinyurl.com/24k85xq

A couple of things scare me about this article. One, Kuester talks about competition in camp - but not about extensive competition during the season based on NBA floor time results. Two, its mentioned in the article that Daye could see time due to injuries. Hey, play the guy. Don't use excuses not to play him. In the end, if Tay and TMAC are the better options come playoff time, great. But next year, if Daye has just sat around and collected dust, how is that going to make us a better team?

PS, this is from freep.com, and there are a couple of other articles on the Pistons there this morning.
  8. BillLaimbeer

Lee, I know you dislike Jerebko for some reason. Sorry to tell you, he will not be the odd man out. He works hard, he plays smart, and he contributes on both ends of the floor. This guy is valuable and he does things that help a team win games. Only a clueless coach would make him the odd man out.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Do you believe he will play ahead of CV? Even if CV starts the season out on a scoring binge like he started for us last year?

Do you believe he should play ahead of JMAX - who Ben Wallace recently said was our best big the 2nd half of the season?

Maybe over Ben Wallace?

Over our 7th pick in the draft, Monroe?

Or perhaps over Summers, who is a lot stronger for a power forward.

Now, I am saying Summers is a stronger player for a power forward. At small forward, JJ might do better with his strong rebounding for that position.

But in that regard, playing small forward, do you think he should play ahead of Tay?

What if TMAC is having a good year, should JJ take his minutes?

And Daye? Maybe. Like I said, I want to see competition between those two for minutes.

But JJ at power forward I don't see. You might argue with me if Summers vs. JJ should be the fifth big there - but that is rather a minor topic.
  10. BillLaimbeer

JJ is definitely ahead of Summers and Maxiel right now. If he is anywhere near what he was last year, Ben Wallace needs to play 25 minutes a game. Monroe needs to be thrown into the lineup early and often to see how close he is to playing at this level.

I'm looking forward to see what McGrady can do. Daye needs to play. I like him, but I worry about the logjam. I would really like to see Rip and/or Tay dealt sooner rather than later.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So you totally discount the idea that JMAX was our best big the 2nd half of the season? You disagree with Ben Wallace. Thats ok. So, on what grounds do you think JJ is better than JMAX. Defense? Offense around the basket? Outside shooting? Nope, nope, and nope. JMAX is way more the defender, both at power forward / center specifically but in general.

JJ is a decent rebounder as a power forward, but other than that - he is too small and weak to defend NBA power forwards.

Furthermore, JJ is not going to play center. JMAX and Ben Wallace were pretty much the only two guys we had playing there last year. Unless you count Kwame - and I don't particularly like to refer to what he was doing out there as playing basketball.

So again, tell me just why JJ should play over JMAX.
  12. max

max All-Star

I can see JJ and Maxiel battle for the starting PF spot. Whoever deserves it more in a fair competition but if its Maxiel then we still need to find some mins for JJ so he can continue to develop.

Ben Wallace I can see , at his age , getting token mins at the starting spot and hopefully Monroe can play up to 30 MPG for us. But that's a big if since we do not know what he is going to be like yet at the pro level. I fear he may be a bit soft defensively. CV? I don't know. If he is serious about this then hopefully he can be a good force off the bench for us. Maybe even start someday. I was not too impressed with him last year overall.

Most area of concern is up front at the center spot where we have to rely on the old Ben and a raw rookie.

Everywhere else? I don't know. Throw it all in the air and see what sticks. May not be a bad idea to trade Prince before we lose him for nothing next summer.
  13. BillLaimbeer

Besides a game or two, I don't remember Maxiel ever being our best big. I never disagreed about Ben Wallace. I said he has to play. I like him starting to set a defensive tone.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Let me restate that. Ben Wallace said JMAX was our best big the 2nd half of the season. You seem to disagree with Ben Wallace saying that. No problem there.

But could you answer my questions as to who, between JMAX and JJ have - a better outside shot, better defense vs. NBA power forwards, and better overall defense. (Bothering the guy with the ball, watching passing lanes, switching on defense when appropriate). And who is the better player as for scoring around the basket.

Some of my answers you could contrast yours with: Yes, JJ showed signs of having an outside shot - but he never really got it going. On defense, JMAX wins totally as far as at the power forward spot. On offense around the basket - you got to foul JMAX to stop him. Other than rebounding - there is nothing JJ does better than JMAX. The bottom line - if you can't defend a position, you don't belong at that position.
  15. BillLaimbeer

Lee, I know you like plus/minus statistics:

When Maxiel was on the floor last year, Detroit was -5.9. When off the floor, -4.5. Maxiel's net rating is a -1.4.

When Jerebko was on the floor last year, Detroit was -3.4. When off the floor, -7.2. Jerebko's net rating is +3.8.

This seems to indicate that Jerebko is more effective than Maxiel.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Stats do lie you know. JJ started for us most of the first half of the year, where of course we got most of our wins. And this was as a small forward. Any more such stats you need explained? Meanwhile, how about some opinions on JJ's abilitiy to guard power forwards.
  17. BillLaimbeer

JJ is excellent at guarding power forwards.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This I just have to strongly disagree with. No size for the job. Shortly, if JJ get minutes, we will be able to debate this game by game.

PS, if JJ does not get minutes, I bet you its me who says he should get a shot at playing time. I imagine you will be saying the coach knows best from what he sees in practice. Anyway, not long from now, just a week plus change before the first game.
  19. BillLaimbeer

Yea, I have very low expectations for this year's Pistons (as far as wins and losses go), but I am still very excited to see how the season unfolds.

It seems like there are a lot of question marks as far as lineups and rotations go. This is a far change from recent seasons when Detroit was setting records for the most games with the same starting lineup (Billups, Hamilton, Prince, Wallace, Wallace).
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ben Wallace hates you, Bill! :stirthepot: