Starting 5 for 2010-11

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by chillfan23, Jul 19, 2010.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't have a problem with playing the young guys and trying to develop the team for the future, but if you start the lineup that you listed, this team will win less than 3 of its first 20 games. There will be no playoffs.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Starting five fully healthy guys just might win us some games. In contrast, trying to recreate the 2004 team, with all the players older that still remain, probably will just mean losses.

You propose Tay start. How many games into the season before his back goes out again? Rip is out 2nd oldest player now, and coming off being injured much of last year. Is he really ready to get out there and give us a full season of hustle? Last I heard, Gordon was still questionable as to whether he would acually be ready to go.

Finally, Ben Wallace, at 36 years old - its time to start trying to find alternatives to him starting.

Well, maybe not finally. You propose to start JJ out of position at power forward. (With your statement that JJ is excellent at guarding power forwards - who he can't guard, noted.)

Let me see. Stuckey, Rip, Tay, JJ, Ben Wallace. How about a fast break? Never gonna happen with that crew. Stuckey can run, but Rip don't know how to act on a fast break, Tay needs to spare his back, Ben don't run much anymore, and JJ, yes he will hustle, but he is not exactly the most gifted scorer.

Then why not halfcourt? Ben Wallace and JJ up front? Where is your post up game? Not happening. Our perimeter players would be hounded something fierce as our interior players are ignored.

In contrast, Stuckey, White, Summers, JMAX, and Monroe - at least they can run, and defend going back the other way. JMAX and Monroe will provide some post up game, and Summers can shoot the 3. You know Stuckey loves to drive to the basket in half court sets, and apparently White if anything is a threat to get to the hoop as well.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Charlie V really did get in shape this summer. That Kander is a genius. It might be time to change my stance on him.
  4. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

What do you mean? They expanded the NCAA bracket this year. I'm sure we could grab the last at-large bid and participate in the play in game.
  5. Brap

Brap Starter

Pistons rookie Greg Monroe fitting in fast on court and around town | detnews.com | The Detroit News

I continue to believe that it's physically impossible for someone with a very painful toe not to lose signficant quickness, agility and explosion. Monroe coming out of HS was supposed to be a great athlete, not just a good one. I expect now that his toe has been healed - after two years of playing hurt on it that had to drop his draft stock - that we're going to see a guy who is a much better athlete than he showed in College and in the Summer League.

I have a feeling that we got a big time steal getting him at #7 in the draft, since aside from the fact that we don't know if he has elite center athletisim, this kid definitely has great skills and supposedly has the work ethic, BB IQ and coachability to be great. Add in the athleticism and this could be sweet.
  6. Brap

Brap Starter

Interesting Q posed on mlive.com. Who would you trade if you had to include Daye or JJ in a trade?

I guess I'd trade JJ because Daye, to me, has unlimited upside.

More interesting Q I'm posing, that I haven't seen discussed anywhere.

Which Pistons players, if they don't win a rotation spot, will publicly express being disgruntled and that they want to be traded?

We have 15 players, at least 14 of which (White being the lone exception) who are good enough to be a rotation player somewhere. And maybe 10 of them at most will be rotation players for us.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Here is another proposal to get young guys playing. Have Rip, Gordon, and Tay sit it out a while.

Start: Stuckey, Daye, Summers, JMAX, Monroe

2nd unit: White, TMAC, JJ, CV, Ben Wallace.

The opponents' small forward would be changing thruout the game, as Daye and TMAC keep getting whoever is out there guarding them in foul trouble.

Stuckey and White each would typically have a size advantage over their counterpart too.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I just looked up the word "digruntled" on an online dictionary site and it gave me a link to T-Mac.com.
  9. BillLaimbeer

You would trade JJ because Daye has limited upside? :nerd2:
  10. BillLaimbeer

I agree with almost everything you said.

Our only disagreement is that I don't think a starting lineup of Stuckey, White, Summers, JMAX, and Monroe could make the playoffs. You have 2 guys that have NEVER played in the NBA, 1 guy that has BARELY played in the NBA, 1 guy that has STRUGGLED playing in the NBA, and 1 guy that is playing out of position. To me, that does not spell playoffs.
  11. Brap

Brap Starter

PISTONS: Camp Competition

Encouraging report on Daye, CV and Stuckey.

If Daye and CV are looking as good as it sounds, then what the Pistons really need is for guys like Rip, Tay, McGrady and Gordon to get off to a great start so their trade value gets as high as possible. That way, 20-30 games into the season we can make a strategic trade or two to open up PT for Daye.

Right now, it's hard to imagine him getting much PT. He's likely the 11th man - and it isn't feasible to expect that he'll play ahead of Rip, Tay, Gordon or McGrady or even Stuckey when he moves off the ball, or even JJ for that matter. On the other hand, Daye sitting for the first 1/3 of the season isn't going to hurt him long term - as long as he's busting it in practice.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Who do you imagine is playing out of position? And again, its only to start the season, to get everyone somewhat level as far as being comfortable on the an NBA floor before they are judged by their play. I doubt this is a 3-17 team just because you dislike the starting unit. Still plenty of fire power off the bench that can be used too.
  13. BillLaimbeer

Stuckey is a SG playing PG. I said the lineup wasn't good, not that I didn't like it. I like Stuckey playing the #2. I'm excited about the rookies Monroe and White. I'm not a big Maxiel fan. I'm undecided on Summers. Need to see more minutes. Not sure it will happen with the logjams right now, though.

I said that lineup would do worse than 3-17, by the way....just too inexperienced at this point.
  14. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

Also, when it is time for us to talk with other teams, we are really the only people who know how good Daye is, so it is doubtful that they will be included in any offer. For the start of the season, however, T-Mac will probably be sitting a little right now. If McGrady was going to have his season-of-dreams comeback , I'd imagine he would be playing amazing right now and Langlois would be have a true blue-gasm about it in every post. Maybe T-Mac will get Triage minutes to start the season, and will take on more responsibility after a Tay-Rip-Gordon Trade.
  15. BillLaimbeer

16. Brap

Brap Starter

Let's make several basic assumptions/projections:

1) The Pistons have good chemistry.

2) McGrady and CV actually play well - and McGrady playing well is that in the time he plays, he gets close to his old dominant level.

3) We're healthy. That includes Ben Wallace being healthy.

4) Stuckey and Bynum, both of whom have lost significant weight, play really well at their position - PG.

If that's the case, we'll have GREAT wing play. Yeah, maybe we won't be Wade/LeBron wing play level, but that's ridiculous talent right there and no team can match that. Still, Rip, Gordon, Tay and McGrady is sensational talent - and deeper than hell. Remember, I said the team has good chemistry as assumption 1, so we aren't talking a bunch of disgruntled guys. Add in Stuckey and Bynum, two very productive guys at the 1, and then add in CV and Monroe, and we've got, on paper, a really really deep group of talented guys, most of whom have very good size for their positions - and who, when playing with Ben Wallace and JJ will be surrounded by two super hustling defensive oriented and excellent team players.

That's 10 players in a rotation that belong in any rotation for any team in the NBA - and that's not a team devoid of star power. Rip, Gordon, Tay, McGrady and Stuckey all have legitimate star-level talent.

This isn't a team that, on paper, has any liklihood of missing the playoffs.

I know that the chemistry thing is a big "if" - and I know that McGrady and CV have a lot to prove. But my premise is we get to assume the assumptions I made above come true.
  17. Brap

Brap Starter

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the Video on Rodney Stuckey Homebody on pistons.com

I think you'll be proud of him. Also, there are pictures of him working out without his shirt on - the guy is just ripped, looks as lean and strong as you can get.
  18. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yeah, I saw that. Really Nice story, but damn, I was all caught up in his abs. :biggrin1:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one... It doesn't feel as "awkward" now. :sssh:
  19. Brap

Brap Starter

.... not that there's anyrhing wrong with that....
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

Nice video. I didn't know Rodney is from Kent. My office is in Kent. I might have to drive down to Tacoma Community College and see if I can talk to the Stuckster when the NBA season is over.

:)