Starting 5 for 2010-11

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by chillfan23, Jul 19, 2010.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Well he has to remain one of the 15 unless your saying we should cut him and besides that being pretty dang cold, another team would be sure to come in and pick him up. He will be back.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No, I was wondering if he could be put on some other "inactive for the season" type list. Did Yao Ming count against the Rockets 15-man roster last year?
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Monroe better be getting more run than some of those guys you have ahead of him. He was the 7th pick in the draft for chrissakes. Let this guy play and see what we have. If Monroe is playing behind the likes of CV and Max in the rotation, I'm not gonna be very happy at all.
  4. round

pretty sure they did away with any sort of injury sort of list when they went to the 15 man 12 active setup.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The rule is, you have a max of 15 guys under contract to start the season. Injuries are not part of the equation for this.
  6. BillLaimbeer

Are you aware of the Collective Bargaining Agreement's Disabled Player Exception?
  7. round

good read

NBA Salary Cap FAQ
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

With such highly significant roster moves, time for a new rotation idea.

First, Wilcox has never been healthy enough to play yet for us. Diogu is gone. Vernon Hamilton was just here for camp fill. Despite his very optimistic assessment, TMAC could not hardly move two weeks ago so I doubt he is going to go anywhere near acceptable speed by opening day. I predict the non-dressed category for him to start the season. Absolutely, I hope at some point he can contribute.

Bynum has a sore hammy. Could be minor, but lets assume he plays minimally to start the season. Maybe missing the first two weeks. I wonder if that camera hitting him contributed to the hammy getting sore? (from favoring one leg.)

I assume what is bothering JMAX's knee is pretty minor, or they would not have had him playing on it at all. Probably just some overuse trying to get in shape and compete for time. I'll write him in for opening day, but not more than 18 minutes for a while.

And to be complete, JJ out for season maybe, White out til maybe around Christmas. Adding TMAC, Bynum, and Wilcox for the moment, thats 5 guys who might be sitting, leaving only 10 guys to dress.

Who is totally healthy: Stuckey, Gordon, Rip, Tay, CV (apparently - though he is coming off a sore hammy himself, hopefully no setback will happen there,) Daye, Summers, Monroe, Ben Wallace.

Center. For now, just 18 minutes for JMAX, so 30 minutes are left for Big Ben. Too much for his age. Too much dogging it up and down the floor if he plays that much - he is not built for running. So, either CV or Monroe have to play some center. I guess we might as well pair them together any time neither Ben Wallace nor JMAX are out there. Hmm, lets write in 26 minutes for Big Ben, leaving just 4 minutes for CV and Monroe to work together as bigs.

Power forward. Monroe, being young and inexperienced, probably should not be asked to play too much. Foul problems would limit him. The NBA grind is just too long and tedious. Lets say 26 minutes a game for him. 4 at center, 22 at power forward. Which leaves 26 minutes left. To keep CV's motor going at full speed, lets limit him to 22 minutes, the 4 at center, and 18 at power forward, leaving 8 minutes for Summers to fill there.

At small forward, Tay did not play a whole season last year. Lets not push his return, targeting lighter minutes, say 24. Which leaves 24 more minutes at to fill. Summers gets 8 of them, Daye 16. We can fudge this later as needed.

Shooting guard. Rip Hamilton, getting older, should be limited to 26 minutes per game. Leaving 22 minutes to fill. 8 for Daye, 14 for Gordon.

Point guard, for now. And you can think of this defensively if you wish as guys like Tay can actually bring the ball up when Gordon is at point. Keep Stuckey down to 30 minutes a game. Keep him fresh for the playoffs. Gordon does the other 18 minutes, giving Gordon 32 minutes per game in total. Tay sits early, so he can play along side Gordon in that 2nd unit.

So what does that give us:

Start: Stuckey, Rip, Daye, Monroe, Ben Wallace.

6 minutes in, Monroe sits, and CV enters.

Giving: Stuckey, Rip, Daye, CV, Ben Wallace.

Start of 2nd quarter: Gordon, Rip, Tay, Monroe, JMAX

Last 6 minutes of half: Gordon, Tay, Summers, Monroe, CV

Start of 2nd half, Gordon starts instead of Rip, Tay instead of Daye: Stuckey, Gordon, Tay, CV, Ben Wallace

6 minutes in, JMAX, Summers, Daye and Rip come in. Big Ben, Gordon, Tay and CV sit.

Giving: Stuckey, Rip, Daye, Summers, JMAX

Start of 4th quarter: Gordon, Tay, Summers, CV, JMAX

Last 6 minutes of game: Stuckey, Gordon, Daye, Monroe, Big Ben

See how close we got to the targets:

Stuckey, target 30, actual 30

Gordon, target 32, actual 30

Rip, target 26, actual 24

Tay, target 24, actual 24

Daye, target 24, actual 24

Summers, target 16, actual 18

CV, target 22, actual 24

JMAX, target 18, actual 18

Big Ben, target 26, actual 24

Monroe, target 26, actual 24

Close enough. Its Tay who ends up playing some shooting guard. He can post up shorter guards himself.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Unless I am mistaken, thats for cap purposes only.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Go back and look at the last 10 guys who were the #7 pick in the draft, it means nothing. So far what I have SEEN of Monroe is very disappointing, but I'll give him time. Right now I'd take Amir over Monroe......... hope I'm wrong.
  11. Brap

Brap Starter

He's a very young rookie. You really just have too - seriously have to - give this guy time to develop. That takes years.

It would be nice if it didn't, but it does - years.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It takes years for them to figure out what to do on the court, but this kid has some serious deficiencies in his game that causes me some alarm, I'm not saying he's a bust or will be this way forever, and put me in the camp of folks who believe that he should get a steady, healthy does of PT this season to develop, but when you see him play you'll understand my concerns.
  13. BillLaimbeer

How much have you seen him? More than one preseason game on TV? Just curious.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

So do you believe that based on current talent, he may not crack the starting lineup?
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Amir? You mean the guy who was 8-9 in a win over Phoenix the other day. Plus 20 in just over 20 minutes, that Amir. Just wondering.

But hey, we gave away Afflalo at the same time we gave Amir away. You know, the starting shooting guard for Denver, the guy who just put up 22 points for them the other day? If you really want heartache, you could point out that Miami has a real point guard, Arroyo, the perfect fit for distributing that ball to all the talent around him. While we are at it, how about Milicic the a couple games back being near plus 20 for his team. Or Delfino having his monster game, same game, in a loss - but Delfino himself was plus.

Sum total of what we got back for all the above: Stuckey. Oh, and we got to sign Wilcox from the money we saved giving Afflalo and Amir away.

What we could be. Billups, Arroyo, Afflalo, Daye, Tay, Delfino, Amir, Monroe, Ben Wallace, Darko, with JMAX as the 11th man. Just by not giving players away.

I am not listing Rip, as we could have long ago traded him away when he had value. Probably another center with good size. Or perhaps simply for Stuckey.
  16. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I like this team better than the one we GOT...
  17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Use all the stats you want to show how good these players are, just please don't use single-game plus-minus stats. There's way too much uncertainty in such a small sample size.
  18. BillLaimbeer

Perhaps that is true in regular season games, but stats for a single preseason game are incredibly useful.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Chris Webber suggested that the Pistons start (I think he said start – maybe he just said play) T-Mac at the 4 because he was still a better player than the "Summer Workout Warrior" Charles G during the Pistons season preview on NBA TV last night.

That thing was a must watch if you're having difficulty falling asleep.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I got promo tix for all the pre season games at the Palace, dude is not worth the price of admission even when the tix are free.