Starting 5 for 2010-11

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by chillfan23, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Lee, now that they've signed McGrady, how do you feel about playing him and Tay together at the 3 and 4 spots? I think it would be great in end of game situations. There'd be mismatches all over the floor.

2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah! Wait, whose side of the floor?

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

We need to trade Rip for Peja, who can play center next to TMAC and Tay in end of game situations.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

OK, how about concentrating on trade value optimization by the trade deadline?

Trade value already approximately known: JMAX, Ben Wallace, Rip, Tay, Gordon, Stuckey, CV

Yes, the list is a bit subjective, but I got to start somewhere.

What that leaves, Summers, JJ, Daye, White, Monroe, Bynum, Wilcox, TMAC

So lets play these 8 guys 20 minutes each up until the trade deadline. That Leaves just 80 minutes per game for the rest of the squad. Yes, this is on the crazy side just a bit, but its just an idea. Stuckey gets 20 of these minutes nightly. The other 60, you have two squads of 3 players who only play every other game. Lets see - Ben Wallace, Rip, and CV can be on one squad, while JMAX, Tay, and Gordon can be on the other.

So in half the games, we have a squad consisting of Stuckey, Bynum, Rip, White, Daye, TMAC, JJ, Summers, CV, Ben Wallace, Monroe, Wilcox.

In the other half of games, we have Stuckey, Bynum, Gordon, White, Tay, Daye, TMAC, JJ, Summers, JMAX, Monroe, Wilcox.

In all games, each active player plays 20 minutes. 20 x 12 = 240

As injuries occur, we use it as an opportunity to rev up the playing time for one of our players. Each injury, a different player gets the extra time. Maybe in the order of Tay, Rip, Gordon, CV, JMAX, Ben Wallace.

We make a trade or two at the trade deadline to shore up our roster as needed. Hopefully, everyone will be healthy, and the young guys would have shown something worth trading.

5. Brap

Brap Starter

It's highly unlikely that Wilcox will see the court that much. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in street clothes a lot of the time.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A certainty if his back is messed up. And if it is, someone else will be getting his minutes. However, if Wilcox is healed - he is valuable. For now I can just hope. Even if we don't want to keep him, if he can play at a high level lots of teams could be interested in a trade for him.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So in half the games, we have a squad consisting of Stuckey, Bynum, Rip, White, Daye, TMAC, JJ, Summers, CV, Ben Wallace, Monroe, Wilcox.

In the other half of games, we have Stuckey, Bynum, Gordon, White, Tay, Daye, TMAC, JJ, Summers, JMAX, Monroe, Wilcox.

Oh, I got to have a starting five, or two, off this:

Half the time: Stuckey, Rip, Daye, CV, Monroe start,

with the 2nd unit being: Bynum, White, TMAC, Summers, Ben Wallace,

and JJ and Wilcox fitting in here and there.

The other half of the games: Stuckey, Gordon, Tay, JMAX, and Monroe start,

with the 2nd unit being: Bynum, White, TMAC, Summers, Wilcox,

and JJ and Daye fitting in here and there.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Along the same lines, with Ben Wallace, Rip, and Tay taking lesser roles, and Rip and Tay only playing every other game. With Bynum, Daye, JJ, TMAC, Summers, and White playing every other game also.

1st game, without Rip and Tay: Start Stuckey, Daye, Summers, JMAX, Monroe

2nd unit: White, Gordon, TMAC, CV, Ben Wallace

next game, with Rip and Tay: Start Stuckey, Rip, Tay, JMAX, Monroe

2nd unit: Bynum, Gordon, JJ, CV, Ben Wallace.

Left out: Wilcox, who could take some of Ben Wallace's minutes if he is healthy. (Ben could sit one game in each of about 20 back to back sets)

Each night White or Bynum sits, JJ or Summers sits, TMAC or Tay sits. This leaves all available bigs (Wilcox, Ben Wallace, JMAX, Monroe, and CV available in all games so we never get into too much foul trouble up front.)

I'd rather us sign Rasheed Wallace for that minor role as extra big, and see Wilcox waived.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Rasheed Wallace vs. Karl Malone.

One always delivered, the other mailed it in.

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I know this one.... :)

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Both last seen in the NBA finals. At least Sheed got to game 7.

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The McGrady wild card really has me intrigued, what if he's back? No seriously what if he's really back. That would possibly make Rip and Tay even more expendable than they are now, if that was the case our starting lineup could be:
    Stuckey/ Gordon/ T-Mac/ CV/ Wallace

With a 2nd unit of: Bynum / Daye/ JJ/ Max/ Monroe

Not too bad, IF T-Mac has another run in him, IF Stuckey can figure out the point, IF CV can get a clue, IF Daye can turn the corner, IF Max can build on last season, IF Monroe isn't a bust......dang that's a lot of IF's.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I'd move Daye here to small forward, leaving JJ out and playing White as the backup shooting guard. Just a guess of course though as I have not seen White play yet. Just not sold on JJ at small forward, or any position on a strong team.

Of course, if we lose Rip and Tay, you would hopefully believe that we could get a strong front court player in that deal - starting in place of Ben Wallace here with Ben Wallace coming off the bench along side Monroe. Which leaves you with JMAX out maybe. But I still believe, just like we played a slow moving Corliss Williamson to great effect at small forward, we could do the same with JMAX. Lets say we have two guys sharing the backup small forward position, Daye for the lighter guys, and JMAX for the heavier guys.

Just to write it, the starters could be: Stuckey, Gordon, TMAC, CV, New Guy

with Bynum, White, (Daye or JMAX), Ben Wallace, Monroe as the 2nd unit.

With Tay and Rip gone, the other guys sitting idle would be Summers, JJ, Wilcox.

14. Brap

Brap Starter

What on earth does JJ have to do to prove to you that he's a legit NBA rotation player? Seriously, I don't get that opinion. He's really athletic - unbelievable feet and great agililty, he plays the game like a guy who really knows how to play, he's unselfish and has good handle, he passes the ball really well, he's showing signs of being a very fine finisher in the lane, he doesn't have to have the ball in his hands or take a lot of shots, he's showing signs of being a really good (Bruce Bowen-like, in time) 3 pt shooter, there's no reason he can't improve a lot offensively (David Thorpe of ESPN has opined that he has very good offensive upside), he's one of the great energy players in the league and he can defend just about every position on the court - including some PG's and some smaller C's.

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Hey 356?
    Please answer Brap's question.
    I look forward to reading your answer.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Lee is just riffing rotations guys. It's what he does.

17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Oh I realize that Ros. But he's been [strike]riffing[/strike] ripping on Jeb for a few weeks now and I'd like to understand what his thinking on this subject.

I'm not trying to start somthing. I just want to here lee's reasoning for the "12 man - as needed" status of the Pistons' hardest working youngster.

18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

normally I would agree with you, he thinks and rethinks how to play folks and does his min things, but he did have this little bit in his last post

Just not sold on JJ at small forward, or any position on a strong team.

If he said not sold as a starter I might even agree with him, but as a role player I think most teams could find a spot for him, so interested in what he see's or doesn't see that differs from what alot of the rest of us like in JJ.

19. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

It was Roscoe36 who once said, "Be ready to defend your position", in terms of others who question your validity.

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

He shows signs of being a bit too slow for a small forward, and a bit too small to play power forward. I will keep an open mind on the guy, just not sold yet. Remember this, as popular as he was last year, all we did was lose game after game with him involved. This does not mean I am laying the blame for the losses on him - just saying nothing has been proved so far as to whether he can actually contribute to wins. PS, I like Summers a lot more so far.