Steals?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TWOTIMESRALPHI, Jan 9, 2006.

1. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

one thing I've noticed over the last seasons, since RIP and CB are the Pistons backcourt- they seem to be relatively bad stealers.
    Every good starting guard averages more than one steal per game- last season, Rip was doing so and CB too- the season before, CB wasn't and this season both are very bad at stealing for guards.
    Is it the way our defense acts or their lack of skills?
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Well according to Larry Brown that is an indication that they aren't playing aggressive defense. Remember him ripping Marbury a week or so ago for not getting a steal??

3. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

When steals are rarer, maybe it means that the team is just not gambling on defense. Seems that you usually have to gamble a little to get a steal. Laying off your man to induce a pass; trying to steal the ball and if you miss, they have an uncontensted shot; playing the passing lanes and not really close to your man; things like that.

Maybe?
  4. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

A point that statistics geeks like John Hollinger have noted before is that Larry Brown teams are always very active in reaching or slapping at loose balls (insert joke here), yet never get whistled for a lot of fouls. Certainly LB focuses on pressing and trapping more than Flip does. But our numbers would be better if either of our starting guards had Lindsey or someone like him to pair up with.
  5. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I remember LB ripping Delfino's defense, saying that he gambled for the steal too much, and needed to work on D-ing up his man, and not going for the steals.

I wonder if CB and Rip are perpetuating a fundamental that LB drove into them.
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Nah, it's just that Chauncey won't exert himself defensively and Rip's finger-stab technique (borrowed from Michael Cooper) leads to more fouls than steals.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

it's the way the pistons play defense. i read an article that mark cuban said that the spurs and pistons get way too low calls even though they play extremely aggressive defense. flip saunders response was that both teams mainly try to stay inside and be more aggressive there instead of outside where you get steals.
  8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

that would explain why Ben and Sheed are stealing a lot, bot not why Parker and Ginobili average well above one steal per game.
  9. himat

himat Bench Warmer

that's all i've got. the pistons defense has struggled though, and i hope that changes soon.