Stephon Marbury - Katrina

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Sep 7, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Please do not use this thread to crap on Stephon the player. It's about his efforts towards Katarina relief.
    Katrina moves Marbury to tears

Knick says he'll donate 500G to $1M
    Wednesday, September 07, 2005
    BY DAVID WALDSTEIN
    Star-Ledger Staff

NEW YORK -- Over the past several years, Stephon Marbury has been known for his gruff exterior and guarded temperament as well as his basketball skills. But yesterday his hardened shell melted in an unprecedented outpouring of emotion in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
    Overwrought by the scope of the devastation along the Gulf Coast and in New Orleans, the Knicks guard broke down and wept during a press conference in Manhattan to announce relief efforts by the NBA Players Association.

Saying he was constantly thinking of his three children during the unfolding disaster, the often aloof and reserved Marbury wasn't able to stop sobbing in the midst of announcing that he would donate between $500,000 and $1 million to the relief efforts.

"First of all, it's touching when you think of the little kids crying," he said as tears started streaming down his face. "I just think about my kids, about my son. You want something so bad. You see little babies floating in the river. It's amazing. It's amazing these people are still just going (on). You complain about the little things. But we're just so fortunate to breathe and walk knowing all of this is going on."

Remainder of article

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Wow.

Saw this on Sportcenter. Starbury suprised me. It just shows that children can bring out the best in just about anyone. He'll need this humility working with Coach Brown. Props to Starbury for putting himself out there like that and actually contributing to a cause that sincerly affects us all.

3. B.P.F.HandsDown

B.P.F.HandsDown Second Round Draft Pick

Starbury

yeah motown,

i'm with u on that!!! i wouldn't say it took him alot of heart to do what he did, but it definitely shows that he has a heart! everyone has been touched by the goings-on in new orleans!! we still just need to keep all affected in our prayers because these could have been any of us!!!

much props to all those contributing one way or another to the relief efforts!!!

holla!!!

4. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

This is a good way to rebuild his image in New York. With Larry Brown around with him, expect more of this 'personal growth' and see Marbury slowly become on everyone's good side again if New York makes the playoffs again.