Stern: Commish or tyrant?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 24, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Interesting piece. I can't understand if McCoskey truly believes that the print media is the last outpost of independent journalism or if someone lit a fire under him to produce something more than basic updates.

I will say this. Armed with only Google News, it's possible for a fan to be better informed than the local beat writers. Either they don't know what fans are curious about, or they don't care. I know many of us have felt that if we had their resources, we could do a lot of damage with regards to covering the team.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060724/SPORTS08/607240316/1127/SPORTS0102
    Stern: Commish or tyrant?
    by Chris McCosky

AUBURN HILLS -- David Stern is either out of control or too much in control. It's not good, either way.

He might be the most effective and successful commissioner in all of professional sports, but I am starting to suspect he's gotten drunk on his own power. His need for utter and absolute control is bordering on the maniacal.

It's one thing for the commissioner to have firm control on the business side of the game, but Stern has crossed over and is now lording over the competition side, as well. And that is a real problem.
  2. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Stern has gone too far. The dress code was too strict, especially for players traveling out of state. Players should be able to wear nice warm ups in transit. This year he plans on outlawing tights. Tights are worn to keep the legs warm and to give more support. Banning tights is stupid. In the past Stern has proposed banning all music at the games and establishing a code of conduct for the fans. I don't remember David Stern being elected to anything that would give him the right to run my life and I resent that he feels that he thinks he can make rules about the fans. I also think we need a disciplinary code for the refs. When they make blatently wrong calls they need to pay fines and be admonished by the league. As long as no players are threatening the refs the players should not be called for fouls for a reasonable disagreement with the calls. More instant replay should be used for questionable calls when the 3 refs disagree.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think it's disturbing how bastardized this game has become. LeBron James can take about 6 steps to the hoop....Dwyane Wade can get fouled with less contact than a World Cup soccer player...Shaq pitches a tent in the lane shuffles his feet and his best move starts with an elbow to the defenders head.

The fact that NBA basketball has become so far removed from "real" basketball is what I hate about Stern. The best players get the most help from the officials...
  4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I guess if this is the kind of reporting we get in print media, there’s no wonder it seems to be dying. This reads more like National Inquirer (at least from what I can tell in the supermarket line :) ) than a lead reporter for a major market newspaper. I've got no problem with bashing Stern. But, seems like it should be incumbent on someone writing in the newspaper to either back up what they say or at least provide a consistent argument - neither of which show up here.

“This notion hit home as I was watching 106 free throws shot in one 40-minute summer league game in Las Vegas.”

Easy to say, but what does it mean? I understand that teams don’t want the players they send to the SL to foul out in five minutes since that makes it pretty hard to evaluate talent. Nonetheless, raising the number of fouls allowed doesn’t seem to have done the trick either. With virtually no chance of fouling out players just foul rather than playing defense. Not calling them doesn’t seem like the right option either. Obviously I wasn’t there and didn’t see the games, but any connection between this and the NBA finals seems like a real stretch. How does this relate at all?

“What kind of precedent did that set? Is the league going to analyze film from every game and make after-the-fact judgments to fit whatever storyline Stern is trumpeting?”

Since when is the notion that the league hands down rulings based on review of the game film the next day or the day after a new thing? Hasn’t this been going on for years? Regardless of whether you agree with what they ruled, to suggest that this sets some sort of precedent is patently ridiculous.

“And at almost every timeout, those young (SL) refs were told they were doing a great job.”

Maybe so, maybe not. How does he know? Was he in all the huddles? Some of them? If you’re going to make statements like this you at least need to provide some basis for your knowledge to make them.

“They sucked the absolute life and flow out of the game -- which is what Stern's changes were designed to facilitate.”

And in what way does calling lots of fouls and sucking the life out of the game provide for the free flowing offense that he also claims Stern wants? Is Stern’s goal to increase offensive output at the expense of defensive oriented teams or to slow the game to a crawl by putting superstars on the line every thirty seconds? Seems like you at least need to make a consistent argument.

“The veteran officials have complained and Stern has told them, in so many words, "If you don't like it, you can go ref some other league."
    “Coaches have complained bitterly about the changes, and been told, "If you don't like it, you can coach in another league."
    “The players have complained bitterly and been told, "If you don't like it, try making as much money in some other league."

Who, when? Can he at least back this up somewhat? He doesn’t have to name names, but he does have to provide some rationale for such brash statements - other than he’s writing the column and can just make up anything he wants to support whatever point he is trying to make.

“ESPN, TNT and ABC all have lucrative contracts with the NBA and thus serve the master.”

Think this guy has ever watched a TNT or ESPN pregame or halftime when points seem to be rewarded for whoever can make up the most outrageous thing to say? Maybe this is McCosky’s audition.

“…the one unfiltered media outlet left is us -- the print media. And Stern is doing all he can to push us out of the way. Since the proliferation of cable and the Internet, we have been the low man on the media totem pole.”

First Al Gore invented the internet and now David Stern. Could it possibly be the market making judgments about where it wants to get information and not a grand plot by Stern?

“Meanwhile, networks get one-on-one interviews on the court, have microphones in huddles during timeouts, etc.”

Yeah, a newspaper interview while a player was running off the court would be helpful. And when was the last time a player actually said anything interesting on the way to the locker room? “Played well, need to execute our gameplan, if we can just score more points than they do I think we’ll win.”
  5. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Why did a beat writer publicize things like this ? What is the franchise expecting to come ? However it was a very wise action because I reckoned the league can't fine nobody. Peace.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, I think someone lit a fire under him to produce more than a basic update, but they also supplied him with the topic and viewpoint to take. I think the Pistons brass and/or a couple of players wanted that stuff out and made sure that he didn't mention their names.

I can't really blame them. The players probably believe it will somehow result in even more fouls on the court if they speak out against him, and Davidson apparently wants to hang onto his money more than a guy like Cuban who just doesn't seem to care how much he gets fined for speaking out. (I don't know if that is smart on Cubans part, but I gotta admire the guy).

Anyhow, I think that is why Mccoskey is so vague when he makes his allegations. I do think there is a lot of validity to what Mccoskey says, but as a Piston fan I always struggle to be objective when it comes to Stern.
  7. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

So happy to share the same concept in the same time with you, sir, and you'd spoken out 400 times better than mine. Peace.
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Darth, you make a great point about Mark Cuban. I read his blog and a while back he posted some thoughts on criticism...

Criticism.
    The easiest thing in the world to avoid is criticism. All you have to do is nothing. Do nothing of your own free will. Do only what is asked of you and nothing more, and and chances are you will never be criticized .

For those of us who set goals and want to have an impact in the business world in particular , criticism is part of the job description. You have to be able to be able to take it and sometimes you cant be afraid to dish it out.

Although criticism is typically perceived as a negative, it can be one of the most positive and motivating forces any of us can experience. The key to turning criticism into a positive is understanding the nature of the criticism.http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000200073779/

The NBA needs more vocal critics like Cuban
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Going a little OT, I seem to remember Cuban saying that if he felt he couldn't influence change in the NBA, he would get out of ownership.

So he's not stupid, he's investing money in research.

You can totally see a clash of cultures here because Cuban is obsessed with finding new and old markets to sell to. He wants to create markets where they don't (or no longer) exist, not play catch up.

Stern simply follows an expansionist mandate. There is nothing innovative or cutting edge about his approach, although sadly the NBA leads the NFL and NHL when it comes to marketing creativity. If anything the NBA leaves a lot of dollars on the table domestically, and yet they want to expand to Europe in the near future.
  10. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

There is no doubt in my mind that Stern is an over-bearing tyrant.

The only question in MY mind is whether he is worse or not as bad as
    Giammati was. And his followers still are.

Stern is so suffocating and intentionally gives this self-serving, kindly gentleman image that is sickening. If you are going to act like the godfather behind the scenes, continue the act in public.

Let everybody know who's boss.
  11. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Someone lit a fire under him, and he wrote this article in his own defense.:)
  12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I am a willing audience for this kind of stuff, because I think Stern has often overstepped his bounds. Lately there've been instances of him throwing his weight around with reporters. And his first real war with the refs was a couple of decades ago when he forced out some of the more colorful veteran refs and put Darrel Garretson in charge. Word was that Garretson wasn't much of a ref himself, called guys in the middle of the night to intimidate them with "grades" and used his position to give his son a job he couldn't earn.

That said, this sounds like a print journalist bellyaching. One minute he's portraying his profession as guardians of the game's integrity, the next he's whining about too little space and not enough access.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

What's all this hate for David Stern? Through clever rule manipulation, he has made basketball much more accessable to the common fan.

When Carmelo Anthony slashes to the basket and finishes with a monster dunk, I can admire his athleticism, but I can't really relate. I've never been able to play above the rim. But when superstar Dwaeyne Wade cans 21 out of 29 free throw attempts, I can imagine myself out there on the court, being the hero. Sometimes I go to the local playground, and shoot free throw after freethrow, imagining I am in the NBA finals. Visions of $20,000,000 paydays dance through my head.

Announcer in my head: He dribbles twice to his left... spins the ball in his hands, looks at the rim. LInwoods 19 points from the line have really helped his team. If he makes this shot, his 20 points could put them over the top...

Ahhh, the drama. The excitement. The 4 hour long freethrow shooting contest.
    :ohwell:
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The more I think about it though, the more I think it's really not "Commish or tyrant", but business or game.

"The owners are the only ones who could band together and subdue the monster, but as long as the monster keeps raising their profit line, they will feed the beast."

Maybe the only sensible line in the article. So who is the enemy about whom McCosky so badly rants? The commish is the mouthpiece and public face of the owners and don't think for one second they wouldn't turn on him so fast it would make your head spin if he were not doing what they want. Who do you think makes up the committees that control the governance of the league?

Stern is a smart man, perhaps a brilliant businessman, and I still believe one who cares about the game. But, he is also merely an employee of them what truly run the show. He's easy to dump on, and is the public face for just that reason, but the real power lies with a bunch of old rich white guys all of whom would like to be richer.
  15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

You did this: clock winding down...Linwood for 3....(clank) BUT HE WAS FOULED!! The NBA just made it more of a reality.

I find it hard to hate Stern. He's been progressive since he started. If ratings were good you wouldn't have seen all this meddling. But the ratings weren't. Anyone who follows big business knows that you adapt or die. At some point big dollars got thrown into the NBA mix. If you want to talk about what is ruining the game...its money. Stern is doing everything he can to keep the cash flowing.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Ice Pick, quit tying to break in on my ESPN highlite. I threw 6 TD passes against Chi. last year.
    All with out the receiver breaking his stride.
  17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Stern is one of the key reasons for the Pistons possible downfall (I am now going to wait and watch this next season to see what the team does). Stern knew the Pistons were good when everyone else was yelling fluke. His marketing machine milked the SA-Pistons team ball match-up. But Stern knew that he could get more mileage with the offensive game and his new stars.

The new rules were directly in the face of the Pistons. Lets face it. There was no way to guard Wade the way the game was called last playoffs. Defense means foul today. Wallace going to Chicago had a lot to do with these rules.
  18. max

max All-Star

Anyone heard anything else? Where did this come from? Whats the motivaton? Especially a month after the fact.

The NBA does have integerity problems with many fans. Not sure how much its hurting revenue and how many sports fans tune them out.

I would love to see more consistancy and balanced calls for all players. I just can't warm up to Wade/Lebran when they get so many calls. Kind comes across as cheating.

Its going to be very interesting if these guys are not effective against the World refs and the US does not win it.
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

lmao :laugh:
  20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Someone is going to injure Wade. A team will get so frustrated they're going to break one of his ribs. It's bound to happen. Soon enough a player just won't be able to take it anymore, and they're going to throw him down to the floor.