Steve Nash MVP Again? Say It Ain't So Joe!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Apr 26, 2006.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Steve Nash no more deserves the NBA MVP award than Larry Brown deserves the Coach the Year Award!!!:):)

It would not surprise me to see the Fakers, oops I mean Lakers, sent Phoenix back to the ashes from which they rose.

In any case it boggles the mind that this guy not only won last year but this year. I thought it was about winning and not mediocrity (sic).

But I guess not. However, I for one would posit the question. Would the PIstons win this year without C-Bill? The anwere is clearly no. It seems to me that the MVP award should be straight forward.

Give it to the best player on the best team period. End of story.

Steve Nash MVP again. What is the NBA coming to? :ohwell::ohwell:
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Would the Pistons win without Ben?
    Would the Pistons win (or won in 2004) without Sheed?
    Would the Pistons win without Rip?

Is CBill a better PG than Steve Nash? Is he a better PG than JKidd?

Did we really land humans on the moon? Is Darko heterosexual?

So many questions.

I like Steve Nash. He's really good. Excellent FT shooter, amazing passer, great dribbler, and his FG% from the field is really impressive.

I'll tell you why Nash is the MVP. Because if you put him on the Cavs instead of LeBron, they would still win 50 games with Damon Jones.

Plus, he's Canadian, so micro likes that. We may have our first Canadian in the HOF in quite some time.
  3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Ahhhh, go back to your igloo or ice shanty and look at the Leo Rautins pictures on the wall.
  4. roscoe36

Leo Rautins played 200+ minutes in the NBA. Plus, he once scored 16 points in a college game.

[​IMG]

Don't diss the Canadian NATIONAL TEAM COACH!
  5. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

WOW. Now thats a bold statement. And I strongly disagree.

Nash has Matrix, Diaw & a bunch of sharpshooters. What would he do w/ a non-running team that can't shoot? He would not make the p-offs, even in the east.

With that being said, there isn't a strong agrument going against him for MVP, along w/ the 5 or 6 other candidates. So, I'm definitely not disputing the MVP selection.
  6. roscoe36

I respect that #1. Because otherwise we have nothing to talk about these days!!!

Nash has Matrix. Diaw was lousy in Atlanta, he's played several games at Center for crissakes, Raja Bell, Tim Thomas and Eddie House, let alone James Jones?

HA!

Put Nash on Cleveland with Donyell Marshall jacking treys, Big Z rimmin' it, Larry Hughes going to the Hoop and Gooden shooting the midrange bombs, blam, playoffs. GUARANSHEED.

I mean, Nash is shooting 92% from the stripe, 44% from the arc and 51% from the field. Not to mention leading the league in assists.

You're right, he's not a run away MVP, but man he could make 26 teams in the NBA much better by being their starting point.
  7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The day someone provides a written standard from the NBA on how we choose an MVP, I might argue about this.
  8. #1Pistonfan

Okay, we can say Diaw was underutilized (and a rookie, soph?) in ATL, not lousy. And Raja has been known as a sharpshooter/defender. TT = shooter (not much else), House = scorer, JJ = shooter. So basically they all compliment Nash well (and I'm not trying to take anything away from him).

Who runs the floor out of this group? Hughes thats about it. And I would say TT, JJ, House, Raja are a much better group of shooters than Marshall, Hughes & Jones.

Yeah, great numbers. I agree. Free flowing offense suits him very well. Which is why he is the MVP.

No doubt about it he would make any team better, but taking away Lebron and adding Nash is a bit much. Lebrons half court game is better which is what the Cavs would miss the most. So in the end, Nash on the Cavs would mean no playoffs. Lets not forget that Nash is not the greatest defender, so the they would be giving about more points than they already do.
  9. #1Pistonfan

Man, thats my longest post ever!!! Maybe I need to get back to work.
  10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Too bad Phoenix won`t make it to the Finals against Detroit.

That would give CB the incentive to abuse him like none before. All the individual awards mean nothing, we know what we want and nothing will stop us from attaining it!
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If Detroit traded Nash for Billups, we would probably be just as good, and the Suns would probably be marginally worse.

CB probably couldn't play the style that they are set up to play out there.

I don't think that someone who plays average-poor defense should ever get the MVP. It is ignoring half of the game of basketball.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

you forgot tay there micro, and dice. Both are huge for us and tay might be the most important piston.
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

Detroit will still win the Ship, even if Steve Nash is the MVP.

So take it easy, have a couple of cold Elsinores, and enjoy watchin the guy play, ya nobs.
  14. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Maybe the Americans don't know how huge Nash's following is in Canada. He beat out Sidney "Crybaby" Crosby for best Canadian athlete of the year. He's huge here and everyone's pretty pissed he doesn't get better sponsorship than "MGD Computers."

God I hate that commercial.
  15. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm glad CB won't make it-
    - as MVP, he could have demanded even more when his contract has to be extended
    - Pistons Basketball has always meant that the team is the star. No MVP. There is no player in the starting 5 that shines much more than the others. That's why it was so important to have 4 All Stars or none.

I'm ok with Nash as well as I'd have been ok with LBJ or even Kobe. All 3 of them lifted their mediocre teams to the playoffs.
    CB doesn't deserve it much less than them but more than Tony Parker- that's enough for me.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

2times that's pretty harsh to want to hurt CB in the wallet because it would cost the team too much. we still have to be almost allstar to get to the promised land. All of our guys are excellant. Maybe BBen should give up the DPOY so JD can keep the salary down.
    ...Someone tried to say nash couldn't run our O as good as CB and CB couldn't run Suns O as well either. I think they could.
  17. roscoe36

That's flat out BS my dear friend. I don't think Nash would fit in with the Pistons defensively, but he could run the Stones offense and make a star out of Tay while getting Ben his first double digit scoring season in a heartbeat.

In Phoenix, CBill would bring a lot of toughness and late game clutch play but he's flat out not as good a shooter (consistency) as Nash, and his ability to run a fast break is like watching glass shatter in slow mo.

I couldn't see either making the other team significantly better. I just don't like folks overlooking what a great and efficient scorer Nash is. Sure he couldn't defend an endtable, but the dude is flat out able to manage a running game, drive to the paint, finish at the line and bomb from the arc. To say otherwise is denial.

And it isn't some patriotic deal with me. We get plenty of Suns games up here and I don't go out of the way to watch my country's best player. That doesn't change that he is one of the top 10 players in the NBA, and since the MVP doesn't have a standardized set of criteria (per LanierFan), I'll take the guy who lead his team to another division title, second best seed in the West (forget Dallas, thats a weak div except the top 2), all while playing without 3 starters from last years team.

For real folks. The dude makes Eddie House look like Vinnie Johnson, and Raja Bell like a respectable scoring guard. That has to be worth something.
  18. max

max All-Star

Nash won the reg season MVP. He deserved it as far as what he meant to the Suns in the regular season. But I would not want him over Billups because a Nash lead team does not advance in the Post-season. Perhaps he will prove me wrong someday.

Dallas knew they were not going anywhere with him and they are a better team. Nash leaves and the team improves, he signs and his team improves. Kind of an enigma,

Anyway Nash did contribute to more Suns seasonal wins than any other player did for theirs and thats what he was judged on.

PHX will probably will not even make it out of the 1st round. LA-LA in the 2nd round! Staples Center series.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That someone was a radio host here. I thought it was a good question. I think you made the case for both of them.
    I'm sure if CB wanted or needed to gun as much as Nash his numbers would be equal.
    I said I liked Nash last year. Not much has changed. And I wouldn't hold his Canuck heritage against him.
  20. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Chauncey is still not a legitmate MVP in my opinion.

The only way he deserves it is if he is able to share it with the rest of the starting 5, because they are all equally important to our squad. Frankly, the fact that Chauncey thinks he is the MVP of the Pistons is suprising.

Nash is the right choice this year. He is the key to the Phoenix engine...without him they are a lottery team...with him they are top 5. That needed to be rewarded!