1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Still Optomistic?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Apr 27, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

Who is with me on this?

Who still believes that it ain't over until its over? That they play a 7 game series for a reason?

Most of us knew that the Sixers were a different kind of 40-42 7th seed. That they were on quit a roll after Feb and would give the Pistons all kinds of problems. I knew this but still thought we would sweep anyway. But hey, that has not happened.

Running into this obsticle in the 1st round could be the best thing that could have happened for the Pistons. Give the team a chance to get up to full game speed and teach the young players just how hard a 7 game series can be.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Unfortunately, I think there is a very good chance the Pistons win this series. If they win tonight (and I think they will), they are the favorites again. If they lose, I would fire Flip's arse on the spot. Then there is a chance they could win the series and go far. Well, it's on the players too, but put Lambs in for short term and see what happens:pound: Yeah, I'm dreaming.

I'm not sure it's in their best long term interests to win this series(as has been heavily discussed already). Still...I will root for them, of course...but I doubt I will feel bad at all if they lose.

3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I still believe that the Pistons can win this series. The problem I have is that the Pistons expect to win this series without having to show up.

Even if they manage to get past the 76ers, even if they manage to go all the way, this team's mentality is flawed. This coach's mentality is flawed. Regardless of what happens from here on out, there needs to be some changes in the offseason IMO.

This team needs a shakeup and a wakeup call.

4. max

max All-Star

part of this should be do you still believe in Dumars? Because if it takes a 1st round collapse for him to make changes then he is not doing his job.

Pistons don't have to lose in the 1st round for changes to be made. Reason being that Boston is not going anywhere. If we do make it to the ECF and lose to Boston then there will be no more excuses and changes will have to be made. It will be different because Dumars will know that he is up against a superior team and will shake things up. And if we do advance to the Finals then we will have to see how it goes. Even the Cavs made changes after getting swept.

So you may as well get back on the bandwagon and start rooting for the team. Who does not want to see a Detroit/Boston ECF? That would be a great series.

5. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

A first round collapse is definitely on Dumars. He hired the current coach.

6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

That would be true if that 1st round collapse happened in a vacuum. However, this has been a 3 year trend of Joe showing faith in people (coach in particular) who have consistently let him down. Additionally, it's been a 3 year trend of Joe saying he's not going to tolerate something and then going right out and tolerating it. I can still believe in Dumars but only if he has enough insight to realize when he's made a mistake and takes action to correct it. By Joe standing pat win, lose, or draw he'd be making the exact same mistake that most GMs make by being to arrogant/stubborn/unwilling to admit when he was wrong.

The bottom line is, whatever your marker for success is, this team hasn't gotten the job done. There are better teams than the Pistons, but the Pistons problem is, they aren't losing to THOSE teams. They are flaming out to teams they should beat on a regular basis and acting like every time they underachieve, it's "no big deal" or "not their fault."

7. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hearing the sound bites and looking at the body language of the players and what they are saying, the pistons look and sound defeated. They have the same look when the lost to the heat in 6; you know they were not going to beat the heat in that game; billups looks and sounds lost; sheed looks emotionally drained for some reason; tay sounds very programmed (no emotion); there is something wrong with the team. i don't know if it is the coach or a combination of players and coaches; they seem to fall apart with the adversity whereas before 2005 season they always came together. I hope I am dead wrong. GO PISTONS!!!!!

8. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm still optimistic. If the Pistons get past Philly, Orlando could be another world of hurt waiting for them. :nailbiting:

9. max

max All-Star

After this series Orlando will not be as hard. Namely since it was the same piss-poor end of season management that resulted in the Pistons going into the post-season after not having played a serious game in a few weeks.

In retrospect one could have expected that it would take a few games for them to all get back in sync and if I am right the Pistons will win todays game and go on to win the series.

10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i can't believe people would root for us to lose just to fire a coach. i didn't waste a season watching them and going to a bunch of games at the palace to lose hope now! pistons will get the job done.

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Well, why DID you waste it? :pound:

Personally, I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I invested very little energy in them. So, like, I'd like to see them do well, but I can't stand the way this team is, so I would love to see some changes.

I would assume they can and will take this series, but why bother? Do you really think this team is willing to do what it takes to get past the ECF (at best)? I don't.

12. max

max All-Star

It is amazing.

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thank you!!! Let's go Pistons!!!

14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

We may demand here firing flip and players but in reality it is not so easy: good coaches surely are not in waiting. When flip gets fired, we'll see probably many "just trying" coaches for next decade. As for trading players: it is almost impossible to get a fair trade from firesale or from trade on demand. And sometimes it is impossible to make a trade. (Dumars got lucky with nazr: bobcats C's were injured for season and they desperately needed some help.)

And please, do not respond like: "but Dumars is GM and he has to know how..." If there is not capable coach at hand, then there is not . If nobody wants to make a trade, that's it. NBA is buyers market, not sellers market.

GM's options are more limited than fans tend to think.

15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

My, my, my...you have an astounding 4555 post and this revolves around your petty ego which meanders down to a final result without the appreciation have traveled the well traveled road.

16. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Please refrain from attacking other posters. Thank you.

17. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Have the courtesy to direct your message.

18. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

It is directed to all posters.

:MusicBigGrin: