Stop complaining about the Center position

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DaviaG-Rap, Aug 19, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Dalembert got sworn in as a Canadian citizen recently, and we (Canada Basketball) are trying to lock him up for the long term. Not only is he a fantastic basketball player, but he's also now the tallest living Canadian, and the heir to Bill Wennington's throne.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Dalembert is still young with a potential. We just don't have enough to offer to get him. Same thing for Camby. Is 1st rounder in addition to any Nazr/Murray combo enough to peak Denver's interest? I highly doubt it. Raheem is 6'9" and he's a PF. We have those.
  3. mikhail1973

How about this guy for a center?
    ESPN - Alipour: Oak still believes he's got game - NBA
  4. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Sheed is Sheed. Continuous motor. He will more often than not decide to do the work Mohammed neglects. What I don't like is how tiring this is on Sheed throughout the season. And unfortunately, Webber was not so great either on defense, and this did not really ever stop when we got him to replace Mohammed. Maxiell may not have the height, but he sure will help cover the inside.
  6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

JERRY SOKOLOSKI

Jerry Sokoloski - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Has he died?
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Buddha, I was being facetious. "heir to Bill Wennington's throne" should have tipped you off! :nerd2:
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Why would you waive Dupree? We need him to package with Nazr, Murray, and Hunter in order to get Camby.
  9. mikhail1973

:pound:I really like your sense of humor.
  10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

you know.... after this post I was like I am going to top that and went to yahoo nba stats and looked at the top 17 centers stat wise last year and realized that there are really not that many true centers worth mentioning... scary bad how few there are anymore.

On another point NO piston was in the top 20 or so at there postition last year.... so hopefully the talk of all star players on the pistons slows down and the boys get there chips back on the shoulders.
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not quite sure what you're talking about - maybe some individual stat? But certainly the four Pistons starters here all last year are all in the top 20 for their position.

Ranking by sprocket points for last year, the rank at their position...

CB - 8th
    RH - 11th
    TP - 8th
    RW - 16th
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Me too :MusicBigGrin:
    I like this "let's trade away our trash for all- star- calibre" center stuff. Makes you dream since JoeD acquired Sheed back than for players like Rebraca and Sura.
  13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

not sure how they determined there stats either, I would place all 4 in my top 10... but normally all star berths are by "stats" not by how good they actually are, so hoping they all get a bit more humble this year and "get back to work"
  14. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Yes, but the other team has to matchup with us also. Personally, I think its better for the team if the opponents 5 has to chase Sheed and Mydyess 15-20 feet from the basket- that way Maxiell and AJ can dominate the offensive glass. Besides even though Flips zone leaves the lane open for slashers and offensive rebounds it has done a really good job of slowing down the big guys.
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Let's say we go small and put Sheed or Dice at C a lot instead of looking for a better C then this is what we would see:

Pistons advantage: Sheed and Dice would force the opponents big men out by nailing jumpers.

Opponents advantage: The opponent would take the ball inside and finish. Along with that the opponent will draw many fouls and open up shots for their teammates.

The only way this would work in the playoffs (this will work in the regular season because other teams are inferior, so the Pistons disadvantage at center would be masked) is if Sheed and Dice nail jumper after jumper after jumper. Eventually they won't drop, and it will result in another defeat.
  16. mikhail1973

Sheed's and Dice's jumpers are too inconsistent. Also, not like it helps that the opponent's big man is out on the perimeter guarding either of these guys since we have nobody who can drive to the hole and finish.
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Exactly. Their big guys don't even have to stay inside it would be good for them to stay outside because that is where the Pistons always are. If Chauncey, Rip, and Tay drove every time maybe it would work.
  18. mikhail1973

Chauncey can't finish worth a lick at the rim. Rip is alright and Tay is OK. But we don't have anyone who can go inside with regularity and get a layup or a dunk, or get fouled. That is the problem. Maybe Stuckey could alleviate some of those issues. That would be swell.
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I have to disagree with you. Chauncey, Rip, and Tayshaun each have something to finish inside they just don't use it.

Chauncey has the strength, Rip had the speed, and Tayshaun has the length to finish inside. Chauncey does not have to penetrate like Tony Parker. That's not his game, but he could back his man down every time. Either way it gets points in the paint. Rip might have an amazing jump shot, but every once in a while he should curl inside instead of outside.
  20. mikhail1973

Do you remember how many layups they blew in the playoffs last year? Chauncey gets blocked by the rim on many attempts. Maybe it was their dead legs, but so far I haven't seen enough from them to say that any of them can go inside and score consistently.