Stuckey and Afflalo's 3 Point FG Shooting

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Feb 15, 2008.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Right now both are terrible.

AA is shooting 21%
    Stuckey is shooting 12.5%

Now, admittedly they have not taken a lot of 3s so their sample size is small.

However it seems to me that both of them have to work on this aspect of their game starting as soon as the season for us is over.

The better they can get at making 3 point goals not only the better will they become, especially in being able to get to the rack, but the better the whole team will become.

I am not expecting them to shoot 45% on 3s next year, but I think that they need to get it up to 30% plus and 35% would be even better.

Until they do that teams will not respect their outside shooting which will make easier to cut off their penetration.

:hoops:

2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

we all knew Stuckey wasn't much of a 3pt shooter and he probably won't become one with years to come. For AA, I have higher expectations, his 3pt shot should be fine. As far as I remember from the draft day talk, he was quite decent in college?

3. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

AA just needs practice to become reliable, I think. Stuckey can get better, sure, but honestly I think that should be a little down the list in terms of things he needs to get real good at.

4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

outside shooting is the one thing that they can really improve from a rookie season on.

i'd much rather have two guards that can do the little things, and get to the hole with the ball...that can work on outside shots...

Compared to two sharp shooters that will never get open to take that shot, that can't play defense, and can't get to the hole to break down defenseses....

I'm in no way comparing stuckey to Jordan, but he had to work on his outside jumper alot the first couple years of his career to make it the weapon we remember from his championship years.

5. buddahfan

It took a while but both Rip and C-Bill have become good three point shooters. (We will see just how good Rip has become later today. LOL).

I definitely agree that it shouldn't be near their top priority of things to work on and improve at this time, however it will definitely be to their and the teams benefit for them to improve their 3 point shooting.

A lot of rookies make significant improvement in their shooting over their next two to three years in the league. That is why I think unless a rookie can't cut it at all, which is not the case here, you really have to wait until their third year of playing in the league to get a pretty good feel for how good they will become and what their strengths and weaknesses as NBA players are. If you sit on the bench for a couple of years like Darko and AJ did, I don't believe that you can count those years toward the 3 years

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    They do need a reliable jump shot. See Will Blaylock case. :stirthepot:

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Afflalo's shot is there, he's just not shooting much and using a lot of energy on D. When he gets more comfortable in a year or two, I don't think that will be considered a weak part of his game.

Stuckey is more like a Wade. Maybe he'll develop range later, but for right now, he just needs to be a threat from the FT line to the college 3 area. Just enough to keep the defenders from sagging. In the last few games (and in college) he has shown that he does have that range.

8. buddahfan

That is why I mentioned it. I don't want to see a reprise or two of the Will Blalock case.

9. Taco John

Taco John First Round Draft Pick

Both are much more talented and athletic than Blalock.

It's not a huge issue right now if you play them with forwards like McDyess and Sheed who can space the floor, and open up the lane, which means it's all about beating one guy, not two or three. Stuckey has pretty much proven that against second team guys, he can do it pretty reliably. Afflalo is getting there.

10. buddahfan

I was talking about 3 point shooting.

Blalock couldn't and still can't shoot 3s

Have a nice day

11. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I think AA needs to become a serious 3-point threat, but Stuckey needs to just keep working on the 12-18 foot range stuff at the moment. I don't really want him to be tempted to launch threes all game long like our current group.

12. buddahfan

Sounds great to me.

13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i remember when will blalock hit a 3-pointer.

14. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Greatest 3-point shot in the history of western civilization.

15. buddahfan

I did a simple calculation to compare the 3 point goals scored by most of the top teams in both conferences.

All I did was add up the 3 point FGA and FGM per game, eliminating traded players. This will not be an accurate actual number per game since not all the bench players play in all games. However I think the results speak for themselves.

3 Point FG Made by Bench per Game
    ------------------------------------
    Spurs 6.5 (with Manu counted as a starter and not included)
    Lakers 4.6
    Suns 4.4
    Cavs 4.2 (with Gibson counted as a starter and not included)
    Magic 4.2 (with Evans counted as a starter and not included)
    Boston 3.9
    Honets 3.2
    Pistons 0.6 (Does not include Murray nor Hunter who are not playing)

3 point FG% of bench
    ---------------------
    Spurs 37
    Lakers 38
    Suns 36
    Cavs 31 (with Gibson not included)
    Magic 35
    Boston 39
    Honets 36
    Pistons 14

There is also the fact that a number of these teams have had their starters out for a number of games so that their Total 3 point FG per game number for the bench players is a bit inflated because their bench guys got some starting time.

But the bottom line is that when our bench is our the court other than Hayes we have no one that make the 3 point goal with enough accuracy to be considered a three point threat. Therefore defenses play closer to the basket making it more difficult for our bench guys to score.

Do we make it up in free throw attempted and made by our bench. I don't think so, but someone else might want to compile those numbers.

It seems to me that this is a big problem for us, a real big problem.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

When you put it that way, it doesn't look so good.

I guess that entire FGM for us is from Jarvis Hayes.

17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It certainly would help if Stuckey and Afflalo could shoot better, especially with some range. I wonder how much their shots can improve over a year or two. These guys have probably spent literally thousands of hours in gyms just shooting and shooting.

How much can they improve over a summer? Certainly, some guys (MJ, Magic, even Rip) have added the 3-point shot to their game after several years in the association. Let's hope RS and AA get the coaching they need and have the drive that it takes.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I bet Joe buys them the Better Basketball DVD's for the off-season.

19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I believe it was in the 3rd quarter of a Sixers game last December.
    lee could tell you for sure and give you specific details like where the shot was taken and who was guarding him.

THE SHOT HEARD 'ROUND THE WORLD! :hoops:

20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Or maybe some signed copies courtesy of CB?