Stuckey Disappeared?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by SmartIversonFan, Feb 23, 2009.

1. SmartIversonFan

SmartIversonFan Second Round Draft Pick

A few weeks ago it seemed like Stuck was emerging as the
    team's #1. He got the permanent PG starting spot, while AI and Rip
    struggled over their place on the team, and it seemed as if the only
    certainty on the team would be Stuck's ever-improving play.

One losing streak later and Stuck has forgotten how to score?
    In the last 9 games he's passed 10 points only three times.

I'm not one to point fingers, but what's going on?
  2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Team was short handed, Rodney scored a lot. Team won.

Team got healthy, Rodney shoot less. Team loses.

They not good.

(yes, I think I'm going to go with Curry speak from now on.)
  3. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

Stuckey is averaging 8.8 ppg on .356 shooting in 31.7 minutes this month.

Pretty bad I would say
  4. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

I think Stuckey is going through an off period which could have several reasons:
    - the famous rookie wall
    - just being confused on the floor (like all the other players seem to be)
    - thinking that the vets should have to ball to be able to win games

I think that the vets (Sheed, Rip, Tay, AI) are frustrated and are probably complaining in the lockerroom so Stuckey just gives them the ball and doesn't look for his own shot.

Also look at the responce Stuckey gave after the game the other night, he's clueless why they loose and then he laughed like a madman.:mmph:
  5. BB4L11

BB4L11 First Round Draft Pick

Whatever it is he and his teammates were a disgrace tonight, No other way to put it. They cannot go from what there were to what they are now because of one trade. I tell you what Billups is looking like a genius through all this. Instead of adding to an already good team with Billups the management are ripping it apart and replacing it with a circus act.

BB4L:fingerscr
  6. Patron

Patron Second Round Draft Pick

If the future is him then pistons will be future lottery team.
  7. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

He's young, he should be showing energy out there but isn't.

He really needs to improve his shooting. :movingon:
  8. Ryder

Ryder First Round Draft Pick

Don't know what you will be saying about Stuck, next season, when Sheed and AI won't be on this team anymore. Also, if Curry will, hopefully, not be coaching here by then, I'm certain he'll be a walking double-double.

This season is an epic fail and Stuckey is just playing in the same note as the rest of the team.
  9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I've said it before and I will say it again.

WE HAVE ZERO BALL MOVEMENT WITH THE STARTING UNIT.

If you watch the way they play it is all iso-basketball. We are trying to dribble until we can make one pass to score instead of making a pass that leads to a scoring pass. It is all one pass then shoot; if we even make one pass.

Watching the Celts yesterday really made that evident. They are constantly passing the ball around and looking to get the defense out of position. We pound the air out of it instead. If we would share the ball it would open up driving lanes for Stuck and open jump shots; but we just dribble around waiting for the defense to trip.

I also noticed last night that the garbage time unit we had in last night really moved the ball well. Partly because AJ and AA are not going to try and break their man down off the dribble. The ball doesn't get stuck when it is passed to them. It is constantly moving and that is what keeps everyone involved offensively and defensively. Rip seemed to play with a little more pep in his step with guys that are willing to give up the rock.
  10. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Richard Hamilton has scored just as much, if not more since coming off the bench. The rock is being given up to him and the entire game philosophy changes when he comes in during the second quarter.

There is no reason for any step up in pep for Richard because the team is still centered around him from the starters to the bench players, it's get the ball to Richard.
  11. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Our offense is individualistic and disjointed. No ball movement.

Stuckey is under pressure and teams are paying more attention.
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is a really good post.

IMO, I don't think Stuckey was ready, but i'm not nearly as worried about him as i probably should be. He will be fine with time and a better complement next to him along with more movement. He also seems to be crumbling under all the unrealistic expectations.

I think he does need a Larry Brown to help him with the PG aspect of his game or some sort of mentor. Keeping Curry b/c we are a crap team that's rebuilding will be a huge mistake in regards to his development.
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

All great points.
  14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

well, I think, Stuckey has overworked: he played unnecessary( not totally, but...) summer league and after this "olympic training camp" no wonder that his wheels are off now.
  15. SmartIversonFan

SmartIversonFan Second Round Draft Pick

i've seen several good points. i guess i'll just get to the meat of things.

why...is stuckey starting if he's not gonna do anything with the role?
    i think we can all agree that hamilton's play off the bench is the one
    upside to all this. he's even better off the bench. he's scoring like
    crazy and just generally producing more. so i'm not saying that
    rip should start at the 2 and AI at the 1. no, i'm saying, why not just
    start someone else temporarily to motivate stuckey?
    give afflalo
    and bynum serious minutes and see if stuck is willing to grab his spot back.

that's a pretty common coaching technique used in basketball, when
    a good player starts dipping below his expected level.

Y/N?
  16. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I agree.

Only I would go much farther than Stuck. When he was hired, MC was spraying on and on at his presser about "accountability".
    Whoever doesn't bring it? - BENCH 'em.

...Whether it's a vet member of the "Championship core" of a HOF shooting guard; NO ONE should be immune to riding the pine if they don't BAWL!
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think that is why Walt got into the last game.

Curry was wearing Walt's jock early in the season, and then he had a stretch of a few bad shooting games, and Curry buried him.

I know Walt isn't an NBA caliber starter, but he is just as valuable as Max and Amir. He does bring two things we sorely lack, and that is an off the dribble game from a big spot, and outside shooting.
  18. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

To be honest, I didn't mind seeing Walt get some burn. He didn't shoot very well but he hasn't seen any playing time in months so what would you expect?? Get him a consistent 5-10 minutes a game for Tay and let him play. He brings something that Tay doesn't (ball movement).

It's the idea of changing things up. Walt brings something different just like AA and AJ and even Max. To shorten the rotations when it isn't getting results is just assanine.

WE need to PASS the ball. There is way too much dribbling in our offense. The ball needs to be moved a lot quicker and crisper. You don't see the good teams dribbling the ball side to side. 2 passes and the ball can be on the other side of the floor before the defense can get there. That is our problem. I am pretty sure that all of our players can pass.

It wouldn't bother me to see Stuck go to the pine and let AI run the point to start games. As long as he keeps everyone involved. He needs to pass more and dribble less. I am not saying he is hogging the ball. He is dribbling to make the "assist" pass instead of passing the ball to break down the defense and make the pass that leads to the assist.

Would like to see Kwame start along side Sheed and let Dice play with the second unit. Let Stuck play with AA and AJ off the pine along with Walter and Dice.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

How is it BOS can start Scalabrine and SA can start Bonner and be effective but DET would get mauled with the lady killer in there?
  20. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I know this year we are desperate for wins but come on. This guy didn't see Chauncey getting traded and he also didn't know he was going to be a leader of the team as quickly. This guy is only in his 2nd season as a player and also his first in the NBA on being a leader of a once contending team. He still has a lot to learn. Until you play a 82 game season and try to fill in someone shoes that has not been filled yet, you can comment and complain all you want. I know his scoring has diminished but who really cares. This team will not do squat diddly in the playoffs people!!