1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Stuckey Disappeared?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by SmartIversonFan, Feb 23, 2009.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

It is sometimes important to pick things up when times are bad. These little things lead me toward some questions:
    • What type of mentality does he have? Great point guards (even when they started out smaller) always have this forthright attitude. Stuckey doesn't and that bothers me.
    • Can his teammates help him? I think just the opposite. They have placed him in the middle and I see no toughness in him getting out. Seeing that emphasis from above.
    • Can the coach help him? Again, I think that vet players have tuned out the coach. In the middle again. He seems to show that he can't wait to pass-off to someone. He drives when the moment strikes him and his jump shot doesn't exist. He is Mr. Acquiesce.
    • Can he pick up mentor on the team? Perhaps a little late. In the beginning when AI came over, it was noted that he admired AI. Rip was furious and shoved him in the chest. No help there.
    • If Curry stays, could he loose the unknown potential of his game? This is something that would be on my mind if I was JD. He is not tough now, and many games left. It could get much worse. Carry-over can stay with you. CB bounced around for a couple of years.
    There is a big mess on this team, and JD is about to earn his money.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm really not worried about Stuckey.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, I think Stuckey will be okay. He is really getting some on-the-job training this season. Perhaps he has hit the wall, to some extent. This will be his first 82-game season. Plus, he is trying to find his place on a team with no identity.

Pass99 does make some good points. Stuckey really needs some good coaching and/or mentoring to guide him through the rough patches.

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

IMO, it's because they are have a solid defensive system and they are committed at every position. Rondo/PP/Allen are not constantly letting people blow past them so it doesn't put pressure on Scalabrine to be a "defensive juggernaut". The only mistakes he has to deal with are his own.

In terms of SAS, i would say the same thing except Tony Parker is getting burned these days which is indicative of their uneven play the past few games.

Also their offense is very efficient which doesn't lead much to them getting burned in transition and allows them to set up which will make your defense much more effective everytime regardless of who's out there.
    ??

I know people don't want to hear it, but from recent comments it seems like Stuckey's mentor was Chauncey Billups. He also seemed to rely heavily on Lindsey Hunter. We got rid of both. And the coach couldn't provide what was lacking. The only viable solution i see at this point is to get LH back in some sort of role or to fire the coach and find one that can effectively help him.

5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder if the Jazz would be open to an exchange-student program over the summer. We could send Stuckey to spend the summer with Sloan & Stockton.

In return, they can send Kirilenko to us and Hermie can give him hair maintenance tips.

6. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:

That was awesome.

7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

right. in fact right now stuckey has no mentor. he doesn't have a PG to look up to for guidance. AI's game is too unique. stuck looks like a fish out of water...he's stopped shooting jumpers, he's stopped driving, he's stopped attacking, he overdribbles because no one else moves on offense, he is afraid of the trap and always backs to the halfcourt line rather than attacking it, etc., etc., etc.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Hopefully Joe D can sweet talk Marbury into signing with DET instead of the C's once he is free from NY.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Even at his very best, Stuckey was not that good. The defensive game has never developed for him. Defense is precisely half the game. I like that Stuckey is starting for only one reason - he gets to play. But you know what, about time for a real coach to come along, and apply some tough love. No D, no play.

(Just to be clear - I'd start AI, Afflalo, Tay, Amir, Sheed.)

11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

ya know i was higher on his defense earlier in the year...he was trying more. now he seems spent and he's defending with his arms as much as amir. he is simply not moving his feet even though he has all of the physical tools to be a good defender. he even has good instincts for steals.

if i'm curry i find a way to say he has an injury and give him a week or two off ...

12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

13. max

max All-Star

He is deferring too much. Its his team but he has not realized it yet. Time to stop worrying about offending AI and Rip and do your thing. AI is not going to be here 27 games from now - you will be.

Also seems like they are trying to turn him into CB. He is not CB and I am not sure he is even a PG. Just because its more convenient does not mean its the best thing for the team.

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If they want to start him at point fine, but they need a legit point and have the last few years.

Without shooters to kick it to it is always going to be tough for him to do his thing.

15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I would like to see Afflalo get some major playing time. Some reasons for this:
    • If this club is to get back into a form of stabilization, then it will have too start with showing intense defensive pressures. There is no one better than Afflalo in leading the team in this direction.
    • Afflalo is probably the best all-around athlete on this team. He has quickness, excellent vision in seeing open spots and moves quickly without the ball.
    • From the 1-2-3 positions, he is the best long ball shooter on the team. He has an excellent jump shot range and his lateral foot speed will give him consistent good looks.
    • Start him at the 2-3 position. His smart enough coming out of the UCLA system to adapt and complement AI. All he needs is to establish a comfort zone so that he can begin to relax and not exert undue pressure on himself.
    • He looks to have a tough mental presence. He does not play timid.
    • Give him at least 25 minutes per game and see if he begins to help this team. If he can get this extra playing time; one major emphasis I would be looking for, would be for him moving aggressively toward the basket.
    • He has the potential to be the type that has a natural feel for open space in the 15 ft. range while facing the basket. Only Rip can make these type of moves on the ball club, but he must do it without the dribble. I would hate to waste the rest of the season (regardless of wins) not giving him a chance. We could be pleasantly surprised.

16. max

max All-Star

Not as if Rip, Tay, Sheed and Dyess cannot hit a shot. They all used to be quite good at it.

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I was thinking about that the other day, maybe someone with a few free minutes could look up Tay's 3P attempts this year vs. last year. I can't believe Tay is not getting more spot up looks playing with AI. I mean seriously, he can't play like Kyle Korver?

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tay's 3-point attempts per game:

'03: 1.1
    '04: 1.9
    '05: 1.7
    '06: 2.2
    '07: 2.6
    '08: 1.8
    '09: 1.5

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Second lowest of his career, and he is ALWAYS on the floor with a penetrating guard. Something ain't right.

20. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

Kyle Korver doesn't believe in the pump fake. He believes the ball will go in, when he lets it go. So, he does.