Stuckey, J-Max and ??????

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

We have heard and witnessed much about the "Zoo Crew" during the season. Now is the time they really need to step up. IMO, Stuckey and J-Max will be fine, however, the Pistons need a 3rd member of the crew to come up huge on a consistent basis.

I have no idea who that could be.

These 3, Stuckey, J-Max and whomever need to come in and provide whatever is lacking at that time. Scoring, energy, rebounding, defense or all the above.

This is it!!!!!!!
  2. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Has to be Affallo or else we'll be out in the 1st round of the playoffs, REMEMBER???
  3. max

max All-Star

Stucky, Maxiel, Hayes, and Ratliff are in. I am confident of that.
    Main question is has Afflallo played his way in over Hunter for the 4th guard spot.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Don't worry about remembering it. I will repeat it enough.
  5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Lee I am wondering what you will say if Detroit wins it all with little or no contribution from AA or Amir in the playoffs.

Or, make it out of the 1st round, at least.
  6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Theo would be help. Hunter or Afflalo will depend on the opponent. Afflalo would probably be used against bigger opponents.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not agreeing that we get snuffed in the 1st round without AA, but the guy really does add something to the game. His defense is great. And his offense seems to be coming around too.

Primary attributes:
    AA- Man on man defense
    AJ- shot blocking, hustle, rebounding
    Ratliff- experience, ability to bother true centers
    Hayes- obviously a 3-point shooter
    Dixon- 3-point threat, passing, general scoring ability
    Hunter- trapping, streak shooter
    Herrmann- another outside threat, can defend 3.5's, crafty

As far as the zoo crew through, it only means Stuckey, Afflalo, JMax, Amir to me. They are temporarily bench players, but they are on the rise. The rest of the guys are just bench players for the rest of their careers.
  8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i think stuckey handles pressure situations well. he's done great in the 4th quarter of games, and i don't think he'll be fazed by the playoffs. i still invision some missed layups but jmax will be there to clean them up and flush them down. i just wish stuck had more time this year to learn how to finish around the basket.

jmax needs to dominate some games, and i think he will.

if jarvis can provide us with ONE win in the 2nd round or later by an outstanding shooting performance, then he'll have done his job for the year.
  9. max

max All-Star

Thing about Maxiel is that if he is off or if Dyess is jacking up bricks then hopefully Flip will try Amir to see what he can bring. This is the playoffs, its about winning and not about rewarding players. The same would go for everyone else on the bench. If Stucky does not have it then give Afflalo or Hunter a try.

What do we need out of the bench anyway besides defense and smart play, something like at least 20 points and 10 boards?
  10. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

That' what I'm worrying about, historically, Flip had done this from time to time before our eyes. Yeah he just stayed there faithfully to wait for them to find their jumper again and again.
  11. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

The problem is that it is playoffs and Flip has no guts to try during playoffs.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Highly hypothetical question, as there is no way we get past Philly leaving these two guys out, or even just Afflalo. I doubt we could beat Miami in a seven game series without these two guys. I am not being funny either. Defense is a part of the game. Look at the stats. Afflalo shows up big time in dropping the other teams shooting percentage. Amir even more so.

Is there any other way besides playing Amir and Afflalo? Possibly by not ever playing Dyess or Hayes, and going with a rotation of Billups, Hunter, Rip, Stuckey, Tay (with Stuckey backing him up), JMAX (with Sheed backing him up at power forward), Sheed, Theo. This eight man rotation does not feature any poor defensive players, and so possibly could do the job. However, Flip will play Dyess and Hayes, regardless of reality, and so we have to compensate with Afflalo and Amir getting good minutes so some good defense is played in the game.
  13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Do not forget that except stuckey, rest of bench is largely one dimensional or with glaring weaknesses.(do not blame flip for that). There is no time to try something - you contribute or not. I know you do not like it here but there is no "solution" from bench if starter struggles - skill difference between bench and starting unit is too big. Basically, if you want ćontribution from bench during POs, then they have to play above their "normal" level. And it wont happen in every game.
  14. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Having bench players that are one-dimensional is not a problem, it's an opportunity. In the playoffs your bench players become "situational" players. They can be inserted to exploit potential mismatches or to negate your opponents advantage.

Your multi-dimensional players - hopefully your top 5, 6, or 7 players - will get the bulk of the minutes. But it's often how you manage the additional assets on your bench that determines your success in the playoffs.

LB managed those assets very well in 2004 (think the Pit Bulls and Corliss against Luke Walton). These guys didn't play lots of minutes during the 2004 playoffs, but they often turned situations and even entire games in our favor in the brief opportunities they did get.

In the past couple of years our bench players rarely had even one dimension that they could bring to a game. Generally, they were well-rounded mediocre players. That's why Lindsay's still around, because he still has one dimension to his game that he brings consistently well.

If you think about our bench players this year, most of them have something that they can do very well. We may not want them playing extended minutes due to their "glaring weaknesses", but if something is lacking from our regulars there's a good chance Flip can look down his bench and find it sitting there. The question is, will he have the fortitude to put that player in the game.
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

we could beat miami in a 7-game series with hunter, dixon, theo, samb, and hermann.

lee i know you've gone to regular season games...you've gone to playoff games too right? you know that the pistons aren't going to lose at home to a sub-.500 team with very little playoff experience. iggy doesn't even average 20 a game. philly comes in losing 4 in a row. they don't have a player like AI who can win a game for you by himself.

i just think your comments about amir and aa are so ridiculous. amir is barely playoff ready and stuckey and lindsey are both good defenders. if you think we can't get by philly because of the 10-12 minutes our backup SG is in the game defending philly's backup SG, then you are not thinking clearly.

i predict afflalo will get minutes this series because we'll be blowing them out by 25 in the 4th quarter.
  16. max

max All-Star

He never had much to try before.

Its going to be very interesting reading what you have to say if they don't play very much and we still sweep.

When you think about it a lot of what Flip has been doing with the bench is in preperation for the Boston series. Ratliff was brought in and Amir has been getting time to help us against their front court. Afflalo and Hunter are 2 extra defenders to shut down their point guards.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

AA and Amir will each get some minutes, so this theory will never be tested.

It makes me wonder how we got out of the first round last year though.
  18. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

What we need from the bench is for them to be +1 to +10 while on the floor. I could care less how much they score or how many rebounds and blocks they get. IF they can increase our lead by one point while they are on the floor; I will be ecstatic.
    :cheerlie-GOAL:
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The other helpful scenario would be if our bench could hold down the fort while the other team overplays their starters here and there.

Also, these guys might all have to step in individually if a starter gets in early foul trouble and play with 4 starters.

There are lots of ways they can contribute.
  20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    The only way Pistons bench players contribute is if Flip lets them do so. I just hope that he's learned and that Joe will continue with his hands on approach.