Stuckey: New Contract?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by kpaav, Sep 24, 2010.

1. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

From reading the Pistons Preview article posted, the author makes an interesting post that the Pistons may let Stuckey walk unless he puts up awesome numbers in his contract year. My question to the forum is what do people think Stuckey's future is in the franchise? What kind of contract should we expect him to get - bigger than Gordon's?

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Far bigger, I would guess it would start out around 15 million per year. He probably would get the max except Joe is so respected and such a shrewd negotiator that he'll bargain him down to 15 to start.

They don't want to be left at the alter like the Cavaliers were this summer although I would look forward to reading Mrs. D's letter to the fans if he did leave.

3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'd extend him for three more years after the first week of the season.
    Give him D-Wade money.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I think it is something none of us want to think about. Now I'm going to need to take some Ambien to sleep at night until this issue is settled.

I keep trying to seek comfort by telling myself that the best team on [STRIKE]toilet[/STRIKE] paper will sign it's best player.

5. Brap

Brap Starter

Highly likely that he'll be re-signed. Of course, if he plays poorly this season then all bets are off. But he has - easily (and I don't care what anyone argues to the contrary) been the best Piston over the past couple of seasons, and he does have star potential (and, again, I don't care what anyone argues to the contrary on that point, either). I expect he'll continue his assent to stardom - and that we'll see him excel more consistently this season.

He'll be in the same system with same coach for the first time in his career, and it's unlikely that ALL his weapons will be injured like they were last season.

The Pistons have a tremendous amount of roster flexibility and uncertainty, and they'll be a lot of personnel moves over the next couple of seasons, and that will create some chemistry development issues. That would affect any player, and I expect it will effect Stuckey. And Bynum, if healthy is extremely dynamic and we're loaded at SG and SF, so it's predictable that Stuckey won't always be on the floor.

But there shouldn't be any confusion. Stuckey is a key member of the developing core of the team - perhaps THE key guy (although you can make a great argument that Monroe is just as key, and that Daye might be the third key guy in short order). Hell you can say the same about Ben Gordon and Jerebko. --- just a ton to sort out.

6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Brap, I respect your convictions but I have problems with certain words that you tend to use when talking about Rod Stuckey.

1. "easily" - It's very sad but as long as it's absolutely debatable as to who the best current Piston is, nobody on the current roster is "easily" anything. Heck, with Daye on the team, Tay isn't even "easily" our skinniest SF.

2. "does have" star potential - Rodney doesn't have any more star potential than a lot of our guys. Monroe, Daye, heck even Terrico White have just as much star potential as Stuck. I'm just hoping that Stuck has enough potential to ascend to the level of being a "solid" starting NBA PG. Star potential??? -I haven't seen it yet.

3. "continue" his ascent - in a lot of ways, Stuckey has been stuck (double entendre intended) in his progression for two seasons now. I'm hoping that he can show some progress this year as a leader and as a quarterback of the offense. I'm also hoping that he can use the impressive physical tools that he has to play some next level defense. I haven't seen it yet and it's hard to continue what you haven't started.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or nit-pick your posts. I'm just trying to keep it real. Heck, I'm not even sure that we disagree on any point other than I'm just not a certain in my views as you are regarding Rodney Stuckey.

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Do you think the Pistons should re-sign him and if yes, for how much?

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I know personally that Stuckey has been talking to other stars this summer. Two to be exact. Joe and Stuck are working out the details of his future contract so that the other two stars will be able to join the team.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

The stars he was seeing after he fainted?

10. linwood

linwood All-Star

I don't know that SuperCollider will get DWade money, but I think he will get enough to buy a few smaller belts.

11. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

This will be "The Decision" all over again. ESPN will be following this story all season and it will take away from our championship run this year. :(

12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't realize ESPN started a sports comedy channel.

13. pgrnpacer

pgrnpacer First Round Draft Pick

Stuckey gets traded by the trade deadline this year after Joe sees that he still doesn't have an outside shot and he continues to make poor decisions with the basketball when driving in to centers/power forwards. Will Bynum gets the starting job at PG. As far as contract goes with his next team at the end of the season.....I can see him making maybe 3-4 million a year. Any more than that and I might throw up. We will get some draft picks for him though so...yea....I am fine with him leaving. He is nothing special at all. On that note....MFWB better be able to defend larger PG's looking to post him up for 48 minutes every game or Dumars will be trading him next year as well.

14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

We need to sign more guards to prepare for the potential departure of Stuckey.

15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Bynum got 3 million per. Stuckey will get at least that. If he plays well this year, you could be looking at a 7-8 million per year contract. Considering we are paying Charlie 7 million, that doesn't seem too bad at all.

16. linwood

linwood All-Star

I really doubt any team would pony up 7 mil for Charlie right now. If you want the bigoney, you have to cinch up that belt, and practice practice practice until you get a jump shot that works on the court, not just on paper.

17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Oh I doubt it too. Joe paid him 7 million a year though. Just like Joe did with Gordon, he overpaid Villanueva by at least a couple million over what the next highest offer was. Joe tends to overpay the players he really likes, at least in my estimation. Prince, Billups (and especially) Hamilton got more than fair deals as well.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Been gone for a few, and HOLY CRAP!! I forgot just how DAMN FUNNY you all are......my stomach literally hurts from laughing at this thread!