stuckey or bynum....?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by monrams99, Nov 18, 2009.

1. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

I guess now its up to the management to see who's the man at the PG position. I guess people will always will go for stuckey but here's the breakdown:

Scoring: This season, it's not close. Bynum has been better by virtually every measure. Last season, Bynum was also better, based on per-minute rates, as well. Here's the breakdown for their careers so far:

• Games Played: Bynum 83, Stuckey 147
    • Points per game: Bynum 7.6, Stuckey 11.4
    • Points per 36 minutes: Bynum 17.8, Stuckey 15.0
    • Field goal percentage: Bynum .462, Stuckey .425
    • True shooting percentage: Bynum .531, Stuckey .498
    • Player Efficiency Rating (PER): Bynum 17.5, Stuckey 14.4
    • Free throw attempts per game: Bynum 2.3, Stuckey 3.4
    • Free throw attempts per 36 minutes: Bynum 5.3, Stuckey 4.5
    Bynum's played fewer minutes than Stuckey throughout his career, but when he has played, he's been a more efficient scorer. Advantage: Bynum:

So scoring wise its bynum.

Point guard skills: In all honesty, both leave a bit to be desired as pure point guards. After last season, Joe Dumars admitted that he was not sure if Stuckey's future was necessarily as a point guard. As for Bynum, I'm not sure how well he can orchestrate a half court offense. He's great when the team is playing 100 miles an hour, but the Pistons are not a fast tempo team, so it's unclear how well Bynum would fit as the team's primary point guard, rather than the scoring machine off the bench role he's in right now.

Statistically in traditional point guard categories, they are pretty even:

• Assists per game: Bynum 2.7, Stuckey 4.0
    • Assists per 36 minutes: Bynum 6.3, Stuckey 5.3
    • Assist percentage (percentage of teammate field goals a player assisted when he was on the floor): Bynum 31.8 percent, Stuckey 24.6
    • Turnovers per game: Bynum 1.3, Stuckey 1.9
    • Turnovers per 36 minutes: Bynum 3.2, Stuckey 2.5
    • Turnover percentage (turnovers per 100 plays): Bynum 15.9, Stuckey 14.2
    So Bynum's been better making plays for teammates while Stuckey takes a little better care of the ball. Advantage: Even.For me its a good article showing that Stuck may be bigger and stronger, stats wise it shows that bynum compared to stuck is pretty much even...or i may say bynum is underated and stuck may be overrated..any thoughts about it?

for additional info about this article check it at hoopshy.com
    or Could Will Bynum become the Detroit Pistons' franchise player? | Full-Court Press - MLive.com
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ok with Both
  3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Ditto.
  4. monrams99

Brandon jennings for me is better than our so called future PG though!!!
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

what are you doing in this forum if jennings is your pet player?

for me dissapointments are wilcox and maxiell; Stucky - expected better but no worries.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bynum is put into the game right now to score. Stuckey starts games with the mission to be a point guard. I wouldn't be surprised if you reversed their roles that you wouldn't see a reversal in their numbers too.

I'm not sure the gap is about minutes but about intent.
  7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seriously? So is Michael Jordan. What does that prove? Brandon Jennings is looking like the Rookie of the Year.

You got to bring better stuff next time, monfrere. :MusicBigGrin:
  8. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

I prefer Bynum over Stuckey, but once teams key on Bynum, that may change.

Also, Stuck is usually playing against the opponents first team defense whereas Willie B plays against the bench players a little more although that is happening less and less with Bynum getting Rip's minutes.

I like Bynum more at this point. Stuck needs to step his game up IMO.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey has size advantage over Bynum. So far this season, he has shown that he can defend 1-2-3 positions adequately. Stuckey will never be a Jason Kidd-like PG, but that doesn't mean that he's a bad player. He has a place with this team. His eventual role will depend a lot on the types of trades that Joe D. is most probably going to execute within the next 10 months.

Dwight Howard is better than Kwame, too. Really monrams, by now everybody knows you don't like Stuckey. This stuff is starting to get old. We get it.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

This aint the KKK forum , RR...people here are free to their opinions. The world has enough problems, Ok?
    Not fussing, just enlightening.
    This aint the detroit News Pistons forum....
  11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

god save me from detnews forums NOW...that was cool place when Micro and Lee posted there 24/7.

ppl may have their opinion but in my opinion they are wrong. :gun1:
  12. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Stuckey has a better chance of success as a starting PG in the league than Will Bynum, and since this season is about developing our youth, you should stick with Stuckey.
  13. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

I like both to be honest, but I'm not so sure about Stuckey being a PG.
  14. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

The thing that bugs me about Stuckey is looking at the boxscore and seeing that he shot 7-20 again. His stats look nice enough on paper (17ppg/5rpg/<4apg) but he accomplishes this in 39mpg while hoisting a crapload of shots on 38% shooting.

He does get to the line, and has been rebounding well. Kuester raves about his defensive potential. These are VERY good things. He has a lot to learn though, ESPECIALLY if he's gonna be a point, and needs to work on shooting.

Speaking of Bynum though, if he keeps this up, and with several teams with a few bucks to spend in the offseason: A) what kind of $ will he get? B) will the Pistons pay him? Obviously, Rip must go in order to re-sign Bynum.
  15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Pistons can match any offer made by other teams to Iron Will.

Iron Will gets from Dumars Ramon Session-like numbers, maybe little more if Dumars has to match an offer.

Rip does not have to go nowhere, because of Bird rights allow Dumars to go over the cap.

But cap goes down. Therefore I do not believe in desperate bidding war and desperate spending so common in NBA during boom years.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

If we leave him on the bench then he will command a backup PG salary, which will be something that looks like the full MLE. If we start and he's deemed to be a more than capable starting PG, well, up goes the price.

We don't need to move Rip to keep Will, we need to move Maxiel's $5M salary, JJ can do at the backup PF spot what Max does for a mere $500K.
  17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You've got to believe that Joe D thinks about this all day long.
  18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Both do not have the mental-set to handle serious (but different) talent at the other positions.

Stuckey is more versatile and I always lean heavily in this direction for building a deep and talented team.

Bynum is mature, hungry and has more confidence within himself, because he is earning his position. Stuckey (whether he knows it or not) will continue to drag along the fairy dust JD has anointed him with...which might be some of his problem.

This has always been an obvious weakness in JD and has gone on for years. Everyone has favorites. Just don't bias press conferences (and trades) with the likes of it.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I HOPE he thinks about this all day long. Problem is, I don't think anybody will take Max's contract off our hands.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were taking a subtle shot at Tayshaun Prince. If that is the case, then yes, I too find watching Denver play very difficult, knowing that their PG and SF are really OUR PG and SF.
  20. monrams99

better stuff? whats better stuff for you? cheering for kwame?