stuckey or bynum....?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by monrams99, Nov 18, 2009.

1. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Not even close. Stuckey isn't an all star yet by any means, but he is no scrub. This guy can play, and he obviously has improved since his rookie season..

For everyone acting like Stuckey is a scrub, you are way wrong. I know he's not an allstar, but he's a solid player. To compare him to Amir Johnson is ridiculous.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Is this somehow supposed to translate into our three year PG?

It means it doesn't take much skill to get an open look with his size/strength advantage.

Consistently getting to the rack always gives you a chance to score or draw fouls... the jury is out on the next step (court vision).

Sure sounds like it

Ok, coach dejour has no effect on a young PG... my bad.

We've had capable SF's available (all three rooks)... yet he has used Stuckey at the 3 several times

RS looked damn good in the Boston series

He's not gonna draw fouls?

I'll gladly go on record that Stuckey will be a quality PG/SG as soon as next year... how 'bout your prediction?
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

It's nice to hear a positive take on Stuckey.

I'm holding out hope for him but often it looks like he's a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

PG is about #3 on my positional worry list. While Stuck may have some shortcomings, we also have one of the best backup PG's in the league, who plays significant minutes. The combination of the 2 of them is fine by me until the PG spot becomes our weakest position.
  5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Exactly. Stuckey has struggled and he's still putting up 17/5/4 and 1.5 steals. Comparing him to Amir is a complete reach. People are down on him because his expectations were so high so early (Billups, Wade, etc). His shooting% has been poor, but it's on the rise, and he's still scoring more points than shots attempted. Once we get a few of our injured players back, and some of the pressure is off of him to put up points, I expect it to improve further.

The thing that gives me hope with him is that in a year where he has struggled to find his scoring/dishing groove, he has improved in other areas. I think he has improved significantly on defense. He's averaging a career high in boards, steals, and he's shooting an impressive 86.5% from the FT Line (Best on our team FYI, Gordon is @ 82.1%). That last point makes me think he can at least come around in his scoring efficiency. He's not a bad shooter. He just needs someone to get in his ear, and help him pick his spots better. Whether he can learn to run a team is up in the air. I feel like the only thing holding him back is a simple drive and kick-out option, which I don't believe would be impossible to develop.
  6. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I agree with FreshPrince. Many here are spoiled with Zeke and BupBup; this team has far more serious issues than "whether Stuckey is true PG or not".

For some it is like sky is falling when Stuckey does not play "as true PG should".

For me unstable Maxi and the Tweeter and invisible Bad Wilcox are serious concerns not Stuckey.
  7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I think he is a quality PG now, but I do have some reservations on his advancements. Where is he in comparison to other PG's in the league?

A nice listing is provided by Hollinger's Player Statistics for Point Guards. His model includes a number of categories of which Player Efficiency Rating (PER) is interesting (all things being equal--wink-wink). The PER is an overall rating of a player's per-minute statistical production. The league average is 15.00 every season.

Will Bynum is 17.32 (#17 out of 58)
    Rodney Stuckey is 14.53 (#29 out of 58)

Clearly Stuckey is in the middle of the pack. Will he move up? It depends.

A couple of factors (out of many) is age (experience). The average age of Stuckey (1-29) companions is 25 years of age. Some, over the next 2-3 years will move down and some will move up. Obvious ones to move down or out (we assume no career injuries) is perhaps 5-8 PG. I count that a greater number have the ability to move up which is 8-10.

Can he make the leap from 29 to say....15? Maybe, although I now have doubts. Those in the 15 moving out are easier to factor (70/30) include the likes of Nash (2), Boykins(5), Billups (6), Ridnour (13). The next 15 who might have movements out are Jason Williams (24), Andre Miller (25).

It would behoove us to remember movement from below the #29, who might also move up. These are the potential likes of Derrick Rose (#31, age 21), George Hill (#34, age 23), Raymond Sessions (#36, age 23), T.J. Ford (#37, age 26), Aaron Brooks (#38, age 24), Johnny Flynn (#39, age 20), Raymond Felton (#47, age 25), Daniel Gibson (#48, age 23), Mike Conley (#53, age 22).

As you go up the scale from 29 to say the top ten is a big leap. Home cooking is best taken a little at a time although great leaps do happen.

Over the next couple years we seem to be very solid at this position if we can hold them. Stuckey, as everyone knows, I don't consider a solid PG type and is an extra cheater (combo) which drives JD's justification to keep him around (I completely agree with this). He looks good through 2011-2012 (3.86M with Qualifying Offer). Bynum, on-the-other-hand presents a challenge. He is making $825,497 (2009-2010) and that's it. I would venture to project that at least 15 teams will be after him. Brad Ames (#14), his agent, will be losing Brad Miller, Mark Blount and with it, half his salary. Ames will be working hard for Bynum. Watch for changing agents.

This is why JD makes the big bucks.
  8. pass99

On the whole, this is true, although the complexity of things create earthquakes on the surface.

Follow the money: Prince (11.1M) in 2010 is gone. Hamilton (12.65M) in 2012/13 is gone. JMax (5.0M) in 2012/13 is gone. Kwame (4.1M) in 2009/10 is gone.

You might be looking at some package deals involving those four with residuals thrown in.

Pick your poison.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Definitely. I think he can "play" PG, but he's clearly not a PG. He can ball, and he has gotten better, and he will get better, but.......

It's #1 on mine. We have alot of guys who can put the ball in the hoop, and can do it in a hurry - Rip, Gorodon, CV, Daye - But no one who can recognize the hot hand, and get them the ball. Our offense execution looks AWFUL right now and I feel it's because we don't have a player on the team who knows how to RUN AN OFFENSE!!!! I honestsly think guys like Maxiel and WIlcox really need a PG to be effective, especially Wilcox.
  10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Maybe, but it's not like getting Maxiell and Wilcox shots is our number one priority anyway. Most of Max's points come on offensive rebounds (though his jumper has looked pretty good lately). Wilcox has just been awful so far.
  11. pass99

Excellent perception. Stuckey, Bynum, Gordon, and CV do not need a controlled offensive, but in the long run everyone benefits, especially the rookies and those that you mentioned (to include BenW).

If you get a chance, lookup the Recap of the Denver/Knicks game and see how the director's job is to coax the best performance out of everyone. CB is the best #3 PG in the NBA, following Paul and Nash.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just wanted to point out, that statistics aside, CB slaughters Paul every time when matched up against one another.
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

True. Didn't the Nuggets beat the Hornets by about 60 in a playoff game last season?
  14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

?

You seem like a smart and perceptive poster... might want to dummy the thought proccess for the rest of us :^)

RS certainly needs to pick his spots better... it comes down to when to go for the score (hey if you're the best option why not take it) and when to be a facilitator.... what Rodney needs to understand is that distributing often will lead to easy ops later.

Got both fingers & toes crossed that he gets it.
  15. pass99

Mark the system and how you fit. Age is a lateral transfer (in the supreme arena of sports) and system (vertical) is a maturation level. PG's take time because they must become subservient to the system and the new age of collaboration. AI anyone (I admire AI)?

I see your talent in all your exposure. Whether the fit?

Quoting a learned professor (Buttertfield): "The work of using the smaller unit into a monarchy, and turning the monarchy into a state, the inhabitants into a nation."
  16. max

max All-Star

When you think about it Stuckey is very similar to Jerry Stackhouse in the early days. Drives a lot, draws fouls, not a great outside shot.

So whats he doing at PG. Yes I know we already have 2 shooting guards.
  17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ask Joe, he was the one doing his best to acquire as many SG's as possible. Remember the draft some years ago when he got Afflalo and Stuckey and everyone wondered why he didn't try to get at least one big body? Same thing, different story. JoeD simply loves mini- me's.
  18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

joeD has drafted several big bodies, as you say ( lets' start with no2 pick) but except for Okur, and to lesser extent Maxiell, no success...

Also JoeD drafts usually at late first round, by that time most promising bigs are gone...
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Against Atl we looked a helluva lot better with Sorry Butt Chucky Atkins running the point and with Stuckey at the SG spot. How good would we be with a real NBA PG. WE NEED A PG more than anything right now.
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You only have two fingers and toes? :pound: