1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

stuckey or rip one has to go

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Apr 30, 2009.

1. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Agreed. I don't think Stuck would fit as a starting SG. I see him either:

A. Being a PG.
    B. Being a good 6th man combo off the bench.

I know a lot of people in Detroit doubt him as a PG, but I don't see him being a good SG without a consistent jumper. Not to mention when he played with Bynum, as an SG he played horrible. As a PG he is bigger and just as quick (if not quicker) then most PGs in the league. I would give the Stuckey PG experiment another go, hell why not we all know next year is going to be a down year. Plus I thought he played well as a PG...especially considering his cast of players he played with. Half of them are still living in 2004 (and crying over CB) and AI is a PG's nightmare. Hopefully he won't have to deal with that next year.

If JoeD says he is not a PG though I'd take the mans word for it. Let's face it he has waayyyy more credibilty and basketball smarts than me, haha. Not to mention he sees Stuckey all the time in practice.

But did JoeD really say this about Stuck? I didn't watch the presser (guess I should now), so I missed it.

2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Is that with or without the ball glued to his hip?

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If Sheed and Dice don't come back Tay's gonna play C.

4. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Herrmann can back him up

5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Why would you want your starting PG backing up your starting C? That's just absurd.
    :)

6. bmill

bmill First Round Draft Pick

I don't get what a lot of people think Stuck can't transition from a combo guard to a point guard. And I know Joe said he doesn't see him as a 48 minute point guard. I recall Chauncey being listed as a SG with Minnesota before he filled in for Terrell Brandon. With a real coach that could teach how to be a true point and a SG that can knock down 3's with a 40% or above percentage and our future is fine.

7. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

This is why I do not understand getting rid of both veteran PG's. Lindsey Hunter was suppose to be a player coach. His game may have deteriorated,but i know he and Mcdyess didn't take any nights off.

8. bmill

Since a real coach isn't a an option as of the moment, I'm liking us maybe going after J-Kidd to mentor Stuck next year. He wont break the bank since he is up there in age but is still very effective.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey already had a year under the wing of one of the five greatest closers of all-time. That is why he was ready to lead us out of the first round of the playoffs this year.

10. bmill

My ideal situation is J-Kidd accepting a bench role with us but Joe would have to work his magic and make moves to entice J-Kidd. Plus it wouldn't hurt the devolpment of Stuck at all to have one of the all time greats teaching. It would be good for him to have a veteran PG like you said.

11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

True, but I just hope Kidd isn't gonna be the one that is gonna help Stuckey improve his jump shot in practice. :pound::stirthepot:

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We need a real point guard...Sessions would be nice, but a real vet/experienced PG would be better to go with this supposed rebuilding year and rookie and a half coach. How about a sign and trade with the Sixers to send him home Pennsylvania and we take FA Andre Miller and just make Stuckey the two guard. Bynum can back up Miller and then we use some of that money on two big men and draft Tays potential replacement at 15.

Does this sound reasonable or am I grasping a straws?

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

Sounds good to me. Then again, everything sounds good to me except tofu :D

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like the Stuck/ Bynum PG solution for our down year.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

To quote/correct myself, Rip is the one who would be involved in the S & T and sent to Philly.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't see Stuckey ever exceeding his status as the 15th pick in the draft if you play him at the 2. To me he lacks the physical tools to be anything other than a above average journeyman there.

The question becomes when to pull the plug on him at the 1? Statistically he measured up pretty well with current "elite" PG's when they first came into the L and they've played point prior to joining the NBA (crazy I know). This is the only way to get lottery type play from him.

17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

With a guard-heavy draft and three 2nd round picks, I'm convinced that Michael Curry can assemble a
    small-ball lineup that will make Rodney Stuckey the quickest power forward in the association.

18. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Isn't Sessions more of a scoring guard like Rodney? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I do like Andre Miller. He's probably the most underrated point in the league.

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sessions is pretty much Rodney with a little more size and strength IMO.

20. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Of course NBA measurements aren't always accurate, but Stuckey is listed at 6'5", 205 and Sessions is 6'3" 190.

I disagree about strength. Stuckey has Baron Davis type of strength... he can bully just about any guard out there.