Stuckey - PG?/Not PG?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Brap, Nov 8, 2010.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I would not re-sign Rodney Stuckey to anything other than his Qualifying offer. Has nothing to do with talent but he is indeed Marvin Williams. If you look at Atlanta Marvin Williams doesn't have a bad contract, he's not a bad player, but he's clearly the weak link in their talent chain and they're paying him money that would be better spent elsewhere.

I think Det needs to focus on (A) Getting Ben Gordon back to being being Ben Gordon, and as a starter he has returned form. (B) Get JJ, Daye, Monroe all playing & working together. (C) Clear space and get a low post scorer (*cough*Z-Bo*cough) (D) Clear more space and get a PG (*cough*Deron Williams*cough). Do you really think Miami started preparing to sign Bosh and James last year? A starting lineup of T-Mac/Bengo/Daye-or JJ/GM/Z-Bo can compete next year and if you can clear CV, Rip and Max, we can make a real run at D-Will, BTW, I'd trade Tay right now for an expiring as long they the other team will take back Jason Maxiel.
  2. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Last night further proved my case. I'll take Stuckey and his 16/5 and good defense over Gordon's 20 (absolute best case scenario) and absolutely no defense. Gordon appeared to have a great game last night, until you realize that the team was -18 with him on the floor (as opposed to +7 with Monroe) and the Knicks scored at will when he was on the floor.

I am not at all interested in keeping Gordon. Moving him should be as big a priority as moving Hamilton.

By the way, could there be a worse front court mate for Greg Monroe than Zach Randolph?
  3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I estimate the chances of Detroit landing a fit D-Will in his prime as likely as Stuckey turns into a fit D-Will in his prime.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I would take Hinrich at his current deal over Stuckey at whatever length contract you think is most desirable (1 year, 5 years or 10) at 4 -5 million per year.

Hinrich can shoot, play 2 positions, cover 1, 2 and 3's and earned his PT throughout his career.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Please elaborate on that.

My thought is that with Randolph in the game, you can have Greg play the high post and run more of the offense through him. Also, with those two in the game, you'll have two big men who are both good rebounders - can't hurt. You also have two big men who can finish in the lane which really would open up your shooters. Teams would have to decide between doubling Randolph and leaving Monroe (or shooters) open or trying to cover Randolph 1-on-1.

You add Gordon, Daye and <insert PG here> on the perimeter and you have a pretty balanced team.

Anyways, I'd love to hear more about why you think ZBo is a bad fit here.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Another option I would prefer over Deron Williams would be Russell Westbrook, but knowing the Thunder are on the brink of something big more so than the Jazz, it would be hard for any team to offer more than the OKC to pry him out of there when his contract is up...
  7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Searching for the &quot;D&quot; in Detroit
    LOL... Come on dude. Not only in Hinrich over 6 years older than Stuckey, he's a worse career shooter from the field and foul line than Stuckey (for someone who is supposedly a way better shooter).

Hinrich is signed till next year at 7 million per year. And people like you think anything more than paying Stuckey the league minimum is "absurd". That, to me, is comical.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You really gonna use +/- when a guy plays over 40minutes and think you can single him out?

Last night proved MY CASE, this team isn't going to progress unless we can get Ben Gordon back to playing as a 20ppg scorer, no mattter how many minutes you give Stuckey he is not going to get you 20ppg over the long run. When you literally have a 20ppg scorer wasting away on a bad team it's almost criminal. Both Stuckey and Gordon have shown their hands, we know what they are and what they aren't.

Maybe it should, but I covet his skill set as a 2guard more than I do Rodney's, now if Joe can trade Gordon in bring in some real talent at another position, then by all means do so, but I think Ben Gordon playing at his highest level can yield dividends for this team either by featuring him or trading him.

And after that I'm done, no sense in continuing this.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

He'll never hit the market, they'll extend him prior to his 4th season, and he'll sign it to stay with his buddy, KD. Now Kevin Love may actually hit the market, but he'll be restricted. If you look at what the Pistons need and who'll be hitting the Free Agent Market in the next 2 seasons you'll see who's out there and available and you'll see Williams can be had (but I expect he'll stay west and head to CLipper Land to play with Blake), Paul will join Melo and Amare in NY.
  10. LA Dre

Sorry I couldn't resist this one....how about:

Greg Monroe and Ben Wallace, Greg Monroe and Chris Wilcox, Greg Monroe and Jason Maxiel, Greg Monroe and Tay......should I go on??
  11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

How is that factual? Stuckey only plays 30 minutes a game this year... his points increase to over 18 per 36 minutes. I do know, however, that Stuckey gives you more all around production than Gordon does, any way you slice it.

Yes, we know what both players are. Stuckey is a player that can draw fouls and slash with the best of them, play above average defense at both the one and two. Gordon is a streaky shooter who gives you nothing if he's not hot, is a defensive sieve at both positions, but especially the two.

My comment on Randolph concerns that he isn't quick athletic player to pair with Monroe (the ideal pairing for Monroe) and in fact he's the antitheses of that, and he's not all that efficient either. I know you like Randolph, but I'd look elsewhere.
  12. Walter

Stuckey plays such a physical game that he probably cannot sustain the production with more minutes. We've all seen it. When he plays too many minutes, he has nothing left in the tank in the 4th when it matters most.

Fair enough. Then, who would you (realistically) target? Among all the big men available out there, who would be a better fit in your opinion?
  13. Fear Laimbeer

Fear Laimbeer Second Round Draft Pick

lets go pistons!!
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How you would feel about Greg Monroe and Kwame Brown?

A masterful passer paired with a man with stone hands.
  15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Will Stuckey even play again this year? Seems to be milking this injury for all it's worth. Missing a week and counting, with "no timetable to return" according to him, for a glorified bruise???
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe Kander is unable to provide proper treatment until the ownership situation is settled. His hands are tied.
  17. Walter

To be fair, that was a nasty play by Melo. I'm not surprised Stuck is still out.
  18. LA Dre

It was the right shoulder and he shoots with both hands/arms....unless he can develop the left hand shot by itself, he may never play again > :gun1:sarcasm alert.
  19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I guess I shouldn't be either. Rodney is soft.
  20. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I dont consider myself soft, 6'4 270lbs..and Ive gotten a shoulder stinger similar to stuck and I felt like I got run over by a buick. A blindside hit it collapsed my shoulder right up to my earlobe. I was fortunate not to break the collarbone but man it took at least 2 weeks for me to lift my right arm above my head. Now I know its different strokes for different folks and he has professional trainers to speed his healing but I certainly dont think hes soft. I am also surprised to see so many people that thought we were better off without stuckey now wishing we had him back.