Stuckey - PG?/Not PG?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Brap, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This is not true. Stuckey took over a 59 win team with players like Dyess, Sheed, Tay and Rip in the starting lineup and all the Stuckey ravers said that this was unfair to him and that his leadership would step up once some of these evil veterans stopped making life so difficult for him. We are still waiting.

Hot Rod wants to run but only if everyone else does it first.

I was watching the C's v Bulls game Friday night and 2 things jumped out at me to show how a PG leads.

Rondo fed Big Baby on the break for a layup where he was fouled and knocked to the ground. Rondo went over to help him up and shouted at him to catch his breath so he could shoot his free throws. Davis nodded and started to get up and Rondo put him back down and screamed at him to "Catch your breath, c'mon!"

A few minutes later during a timeout Rondo was on the bench with the evil veterans KG, Pierce and Allen barking at each of them where they need to be when they get back on the court. Rondo may not be a Hall of Famer like the other guys, but it is his team as the PG.

I think Hell will freeze over before Silver Spoon does anything remotely close to this. We're celebrating because he stopped forcing his way into 3 guys and getting his shot blocked and instead passed the ball to an open guy. That took 4 years.
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The Pistons are the best team in the league on paper so I don't know what more Stuckey could want.
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

48-minute stats are not very useful for evaluating an individual player on his own merits, but for evaluating a player relative to other players it can be a great stat.

Wow, good insight.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Plus, I filtered for only players averaging over 30 mpg. Stuckey's mpg was toward the bottom of this range.

I could have used "per minute" stats, but that is hard to digest for some reason.
  5. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree that Stuckey was prematurely annointed, but I think the Rondo contrast, while dramatically effective, is a little misleading.

In addition to TaShawn's stats below, I'd also like to point out that Rondo has been playing with three future HOFers in his starting line-up. Hard not to shine as a PG in that situation (and now with O'Neal x 2, he's got plenty of options). He has also benefitted from a consistent coach who understands the guard position and the abilities of his players.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So, if they both hit FA now, do you think that their market value would be similar?

All coaches and GMs know that Rondo is playing with a stacked deck.
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey is a much better scorer, but Rondo is a better playmaker.

If I were a GM, I'd go with Rondo right now for the sheer reason that he was able to claim the alpha dog spot on a team that has KG, Pierce and now Shaq. He has that intense desire to win. The passion, confidence and the will to win that separates players like Kobe from Vince Carter and Joe Johnsons of the world.
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

Gotta go with Rondo now - he's proven he can be the QB on a great team. He's a superior playmaker.

Stuckey's a different type of player, and I don't think it's farfetched to believe he can be as good or better than Rondo in time. But that's a big reach right now. Rondo's doing it. We're hoping Rodney can and will. So far so good this season.

Check out the PER numbers. Those two are tied - and that's with Rondo on a superior team. Rondo's a great passer - but anyone's assist numbers would jump a lot playing on a team with KG, Pierce, Allen, Shaq, Jermaine O'Neill etc.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You sound surprised.......
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great to see you around, prof! How've you been?
  11. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thanks CJ, you too. I've been hangin' in -- commuting between STL and Ann Arbor for work -- so kind of disoriented and worn out. But basically good, thanks!
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I remember people saying that Chauncey's assists were inflated because he had Rip Hamilton who just catches and shoots every time. Now, Stuckey not only has him, but the legendary Ben Gordon and the hot shooting Charlie Villanueva.
  13. Brap

Brap Starter

... and his assist numbers are up signficantly this year, and turnovers are down (although he has always been strong at not turning the ball over - and that includes the turnovers he gets credited with when he gets an offensive foul).

Rodney Stuckey Career Statistics - Detroit Pistons - ESPN
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

:twitch:

Please tell me that my extemely educated and highly respected fellow members of PF.com aren't actually attempting to compare Rajon Rondo and Rodney freaking Stuckey.

We're so much better than that guys!
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep if he passes to Rip, CV and bengo his assists should go up, he has to bee looking for them and they got to be in postion.......and they got to hit it.

Last year when he was out there with Ben, Max and JJ, and he would keep it knowing darn well that at least two of those were going to miss the hoop. If he passed ot to Tay, he wasn't getting it back and Tay would burn the clock to a rushed shot.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It makes sense since they are the same vintage and they started out with similar stats. Also, they are both unconventional body types for PG's and they both have poor range on their jump shots.
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm guessing it might make sense to homeristic Piston fans but I can pretty much guarantee there aren't any threads on Celtic forums comparing the two.
  18. Brap

Brap Starter

When KG and Allen retire, and Pierce is ancient - then let's see how great Rondo is when he has to play with not much talent around him, like Stuckey had to last season due to injuries.

Rondo's ahead of Stuckey right now - everyone gets that point. Two - three - four years down the road, who knows?
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Stuckey has a pretty good chance to be ahead of Rondo in another 10 or 15 years.
  20. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Well, regardless of what you think of Stuckey (and most here here consider him 'trash' or somewhere close to it), the Rondo comparison is kinda pointless since they are completely different players.

But yes, even as the biggest Stuckey homer on this planet, I could tell you that Rondo is miles ahead of Stuckey right now. Rondo's obviously in a better situation (cue those who tries to sell you on the idea of Stuckey inheriting a "59 win ECF team) but he is also the engine that drives the Celtics. At this point, I consider him their Team MVP.