Stuckey - PG?/Not PG?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Brap, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Brap

Brap Starter

Agreed. The important question is how good a PG is Stuckey and how good he'll become. We need him peaking in 2, 3 or 4 years from now, when our team is, hopefully, championship level again. If he's as good as Chaucey used to be, or maybe a bit better, we've got a hell of a player on our hands.
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

It did make for an interesting thread though.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, ideally he peaks after his contract is renewed.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

At Portland, Stuckey scores 17 (on 7-17 shooting) had 2 asts. Did not conduct the team, did not lead the team, was VERY selfish and was halfassing it, he was the opposite of what he showed vs GSW 2 nights prior. Did NOT look like a PG in this game, next up the Clips, let's see how he looks vs another woeful team who may be without Chris Kaman.
  5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

He injured his ankle at the end of this game. He might not play, depending on how serious.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Rajon Rondo could come to the Pistons TODAY and transform the offensive flow of this team. The current Piston scrub lineup would see a marked improvement in shooting percentage, shots attempts per game and quality shot attempts per game. I believe that team assist numbers would improve as well. I still don't think that the Pistons would be a playoff team but we would win more games (and look much better doing it).

Ummm, ...no.

Stuck better start peaking THIS year or he'll be playing backup shooting guard in Toronto next season after Joe decides to not re-up his contract. It's time for Rodney to start earning his "anointment".
  7. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with BDL. I think it's very telling that Joe didn't offer him the extension this off-season. Time to put up or shut up, and honestly, the offense (the offense I said) runs better when T-Mac runs the point! Stuckey is a good ball player. He is. He's not great, he's not horrible, but is he a point guard? Maybe. Will he ever be as good as Chauncey, NO.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

KGREG is hating again.

Sure our scoring PG needed 17 shots to get his 17 points. Sure he had 2 assists and 2 TO. You are conveniently forgetting to mention that the greatest physical specimen to ever play the PG position pulled down 2(!) rebounds in almost 35 minutes of play.

Let's see Rondo do that!!!

At least we'll have this ankle injury to milk for excuses for the next 2-3 years or so.
  9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

one step forward on the GS game, and two steps backwards last night.... as the third quarter was falling apart how many times in a row did the ball start with stuck and end with a bad drive with no attempt to pass, then it spilled over as everybody seemed to go into iso basketball.

if he's going to "lead" the team like this... maybe his injury if he can't play the next game is a blessing in the making, he needs to sit on the bench and watch.

He had his starters last night.... a wing player that was 2-2 from 3 in the first half that couldn't buy a touch..... everybody was healthy, whats the excuse for last night stuckey koolaid drinkers?

I want to sip, really but for all his talent, he can't use the muscle between his ears.
  10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

How is that telling? Joe (as everyone here believes) is restricted in what he can do in trades and giving out contract extensions with the team for sale. I don't think Dumars had much of a choice.
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I would agree with this.
    With the ownership situation and a possible lockout looming, a lot of teams are being conservative. I don't read much into the reality of Stuck not getting the re-up.

HOWEVER

If (insert your favorite nickname here) was the face of the franchise that some claim him to be; It would be an absolute no brainer that Joe would be required lock him up.
  12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't think that many people consider Stuckey the face of this team or even the best guard on the team. Heck, I bet you I could find two to three people (on this board and other boards) who think that Stuckey is trash for every one person that thinks he is the face of the franchise. I could be wrong, but that is what I've seen. A lot more Stuckey critics than fans, that is for sure.

But for some reason, a lot of Piston fans have this perception of him being anointed or whatever (I've never heard Dumars or anyone else claim Stuck to be a "sacred cow"), which leads to an unwarranted disliking of the guy. Some may see those nicknames as playful, but I think there is real contempt behind them.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I believe this notion originated when Dumars declared that he would consider trade offers for any player on the roster except for Stuckey.

Then, this supposedly happened in the summer of 2009:
    Celtics shop Rondo, Allen - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Borderline insanity. We would have swapped Stuckey for Rondo and gotten an expiring contract (and a great player in the meantime) for our two most burdensome contracts.
  14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

The trade never got to Dumars/Ainge, so I don't know why people still whine over that when the trade was never even close to being a reality.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It didn't get that far because Dumars nipped it in the bud. He found it too insulting to even want to talk to Ainge about it.

In Dumar's view, he would have been trading away his 3 best players for a young PG and an expiring contract. We view Joe as being stuck with Rip and Tay, but he didn't see it that way. He signed them on purpose and was happy with them.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

That article says it never got to Dumars.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It says:
    1) Detroit rejected it
    2) it never advanced to "the two top executives speaking about particulars"

It doesn't say that it never advanced to Dumars, but rather that the situation never advanced to the level where the two GM's were engaged in conversation regarding the details.

Do you really think that somebody in the Pistons organization rejected a trade proposal for Rondo and Jesus Shuttlesworth without mentioning it to the GM?
  18. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Whether we re-sign Stuckey after this season or not, I'm just thankful we didn't extend him in the off-season to a potentially bad contract.

Just look at Memphis who have bid against themselves twice in a few months, giving Gay and Conley ridiculously bad contracts.

Joe may not have struck many winners recently, but sometimes its the contracts you don't sign that are just as important.

And just a reminder that there are worse GM's than ours.
  19. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

You guys really know how to twist the knife. Rondo + expiring for Stuck + Tay + Rips contract sounds like KGREG:s wet dream. If I were you I'd atleast start thinking of looking for hidden cameras, KGREG.
  20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If it never advanced to Dumars, then there are probably bigger issues in the organization. It's hard to imagine that mid level folks could say no to a trade proposal like that without running it up the flagpole.