Stuckey - PG?/Not PG?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Brap, Nov 8, 2010.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Very cool. I love it.
  2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Nice. Bynum knows who the shooters are.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Putting this here because it doesnt deserve a new thread.

Love had made more 3P in his career than Stuckey, despite playing less minutes and one less year.

Stuckey has only made 7 3P this year, Bynum 3. That's 10 combined from our PGs, which has to be the lowest PG combined score in the league.

90 guards have hit more than 10 3Ps this season, indeed more than 14 players hit more than 10 3Ps in the preseason.

Rodney Stuckey is tied for 166th in the NBA for 3 pointers made.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That must be the reason why we keep running the play with Gordon driving to the lane and dishing it out to Bynum and/or Stuckey for a contested 3.
  5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't want Stuckey shooting three pointers. His outside shot is egregious.. just awful. But what I don't understand is why our three point shooters don't start with our slashing guard (and Monroe should be starting and Max shouldn't, but that's another debate).

As for Bynum, I don't want him seeing the floor at all.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

From the Toronto Game thread

You know Stuckey may be the only player in the league who leads his team in scoring but is a 3rd option in the last 5 minutes of game. I like the kid, and over his last 5 games he's avg'ng 21.6ppg and over 7apg, shooting just under 45% FG's and about 89% Ft's. He's not a PG and probably never will be, but he's made more PG plays as of late than I've seen from him in all 3 of his prior seasons and I'd rather see him take over than Mr.Career 13ppg Glue Man or the Ranting Richard Hamilton. We keep losing even though we have been in most games in the last 5minutes (when most games are decided). Why on earth don't we put the ball in Super Colliders hands and allow him to lose the game for us? Who knows the light bulb may click on for the kid and he might develop a clutch gene and for once can hug everybody after a victory.

I'd like to see our bread and butter play down the stretch be an elbow screen for Rodney that frees up that 17'er he starting to make with consistency, if he learns to really run his man into the screener this can be a great play for us. I'll admit it'll take some practice because right now Stuckey struggles in his P&R game, the defense hedges on him and he dribbles way too far away, somehow he has to get quicker and draw the blocking foul on that play. If T-Mac can get into the paint on a high P&R there's no reason as to why Rodney shouldn't be able to.

With all that said if Rodney Stuckey is going to defer to Rip and Tay in crunch time, he's useless, he either needs to be aggressive or sit in place of T-Mac and let Tracy facilitate our offense.
  7. Brap

Brap Starter

Agree.

Also I think it's nuts that in crunch time when we need points that we aren't playing Monroe (10x the threat Big Ben is + he's the future of this team and needs the crunch time reps), and that we don't have Ben Gordon in there instead of Rip. I also think Daye should be in there instead of Tay. Daye is a much bigger scoring threat than the highly overrated offensive game of Prince. With Tay, you throw it into him, the ball totally stops moving, he's going to try backing his man down for five seconds and try to find room for his substandard outside shot or his substandard mid-range shot - close in shots in crunch time are not available for him as defenses are revved up and help defenders come much harder and faster at him. With Monroe, Daye, Gordon, CV and Stuckey, we've got a super high powered group on the floor with great passing, great 3 pt range (remember when we were the top 3 pt shooting team in the league at the beginning of the year??!!), and Stuckey has tons and tons of room to do what he does best - get to the rim and the foul line.

The starting group has proven over and over and over again that they don't play well together, that the ball stops moving, and that they can't hit any outside shots - especially in crunch time. Plus, aside from Stuckey, not 1 of the starters will be here in two seasons. So why on earth defer to them and why on earth play them as if it mattered?
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

While I agree with what you said, that's also not a great defensive lineup. Gordon is a liability on the perimeter and CV/Monroe, at least at the moment, cannot make up for that with an interior defense. That being said, I'd use your lineup if we're down.

Why do you assume Stuckey is going to be here in two years? He may be gone this summer.
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I was thinking the same thing Walt.
    Stuckey is in NO WAY achieved the status of a sacred cow. He's a free agent and for me, the decision isn't that tough unless the price is right.
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey won't be here....please. I think he knows he won't be here. He is more concerned with postgame hugs than leading this team.
  11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

True...he's pretty much playing like a guy that knows he needs stats to get that new contract...from whoever it is.
  12. BallDon'tLie

Let the auditions begin!

I'm looking forward to watching Super Collider play out the string in the 'D'. I think it's fun watching him call his own number and not dishing the rock unless he has the assist on lock.
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey isn't calling his number any more than anyone else on this team.

Of course he is the point guard, but he's the only guy on this team playing out of position all game long and he is putting up the best numbers on the team by a country mile.

I've been critical of him too, but he's far from our biggest problem.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stuckey a country mule? Now that's harsh!
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

LOL :pound:
  16. Brap

Brap Starter

I like my lineup a lot if we replace CV with a near-superstar PF in the draft.

Down the line, a starting frontcourt of JJ (SF), Monroe (C) and near-superstar (PF) could be super defensively.
  17. BallDon'tLie

LOL, you're right!
    Rodney is just another dude calling his own number on a team of guys that call their own numbers. Not what you want/need from your PG.

...And I don't think that he's the biggest problem. I think that the collective roster and lack of team direction are the biggest problems. Hopefully Mike Illitch, Tom Gores or whoever ends up buying this mess can help Joe solve that problem.
  18. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I think part of the problem is Stuckey is not allowed to call any numbers. I don't think Q lets him. There have been plenty of times in crunch time where he has shown disappointment in the direction he is receiving from Q.

Some members grilled him for showing this displeasure not so long ago.

I think he knows how to win but I don't think Q knows the players that need to be on the floor with him to win.

I don't understand why we don't set our rotation in the fourth quarter based upon how the game has transpired?? I can see starting the same 5 guys (although I want Max replaced by CV to help spread the floor) but as the game progresses you can see what you need to do.

If you need to spread the floor more then get CV and Daye in the game. If you need more boards then get Monroe and Wilcox in the game.

By the fourth quarter the coach should have an idea what is working and what isn't. Our coach just doesn't seem to get it. His rotations are killing us.
  19. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Successful professional basketball teams have set rotations where guys can do their thing night in and night out for 82 games. You need to establish a set rotation with an etched in stone closing group, unless you're a lottery bound team trying to find your way, which is what we are. If the Org would just acknowledge the rebuild we could actually rebuild instead of rehab. And please stop making excuses for Stuckey, it's almost embarrassing! He is what he is, he is what he's shown for 3+ seasons now.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey doesn't appear to be forcing his persona on the team or leading in any obvious ways.