Stuckey - PG?/Not PG?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Brap, Nov 8, 2010.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yet Tracy McGrady has.....go figure......
  2. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey says that we wanted to be a more vocal leader this year, but I've always viewed him more in the Ben mold... leadership by example. I thought he did that last year when he played through numerous injuries while guys like Rip missed games due to hang nails.

Not necissarily the type of leadership you are looking for from your point guard, but then again, Stuckey is being forced out of position to begin with.
  3. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Has Stuck had 3 different coaches in 4 years or just 2?
  4. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

3...Flip is his first year, Mens Warehouse, and Q.
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's what Redskins fans said about Jason Campbell.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum, Rip, Tay and Maxey have played for the same # of coaches over the same time period on the same teams. Bad Back Wilcox has also had 3 different coaches over the same time period.

Then there is someone like T-Mac who has played for 3 coaches the last 2 years!!!

Why do you think Stuckey has had such a difficult time with this over everyone else?
  7. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, not that I'm siding with Stuckey, but he's the one to implement the "new" offensive scheme. Which has been three different schemes. Rip, still runs off screens, Max still boards, and Tay still holds the ball for half the shot clock.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Here we go again.
  9. Brap

Brap Starter

On this dysfunctional team, with a whacked out rotation and ZERO low post play, and sitting or failing to use 2 of our 3 great 3 pt shooters (Daye and Gordon), Stuckey has a PER right at Rondo's level.

You guys are wearing half-full glasses. Seriously, the numbers just don't support this argument against Stuckey. Surround him with shooters and a low post player or two (eventually: Daye, Gordon, CV and Monroe and somebody not on our roster) and Stuckey's stats would have him near the top 5 PG's in PER, not just 10/11 like he is now.
  10. Brap

Brap Starter

:gun1:
  11. Mr. Big Shot

Mr. Big Shot First Round Draft Pick

It's true. Yesterday T-Mac and Charlie V were played the roles of Ray Allen and Paul Pierce as Stuckey continually found them for open threes, and they connected. I don't know about top 5 in PER, but I do believe that CP3 would have the same effectiveness if you took away David West, Emeka, and his shooters.
  12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Because it was his first, second and third years in the league.

This may also be the reason that Bynum and Max are playing terrible as well.

Rip, Tay and TMac have experience behind them. The other guys are trying to find there way in a situation in which the person leading them keeps changing. Each coach expecting something different of them.

Hard to establish yourself, when your leader can't even be established.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well I think we now know the answer to the question posed in the title of this thread. But since Stuckey was moved off the point to the 2 his game has looked remarkably better than I ever remember. As a PG he was avg 15.5ppg on 43% shooting, as a SG (and limited backup PG) he's avg 18.3ppg on 51% shooting and pretty much doing it in under 30minutes of action.

T-Mac is a perfect backcourt mate for Stuckey, Stuckey is the perfect guard to start ahead of Ben Gordon because the 2 actually complement each other pretty well. Right now I love our 3 guard rotation of T-Mac/Stuckey/Gordon with a little Will Bynum thrown in for good measure, by the end of the season all three could very well be giving us 17-20 ppg every night.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuck was a little rough in the interview with Eli. Eli commented that Stuckey seemed to be thriving in his SG role and Stucks answer started like this "...(pause)... It is what it is... " as he glanced sideways and seemed to want to get to the locker room.

Seems like he wants the PG role.
  15. copper

copper Bench Warmer

good, Im glad he does...I dont want a player thats gonna shy away from the spotlight either...like I said in another post..this is the way he shoulda been brought in as a rookie, and learned how to manage the game, even if it is from the 2guard position. He seems to be seeing the floor and teammates much better now and he is looking to dish on his drives instead of plowing through defenders. He may turn out to be a great pg in the future still...he just needs the ability to see the position played by someone else to draw from Tmacs poise and see the way tmac keeps his teammates involved especially when hes driving to the hole.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I saw that too and I just shook my head in disgust. It seems as if Q's moves are VERY unpopular and have not been well received by many of the players (save the few who are benefiting), credit to Q for doing the right thing and making some ballsy moves that seem to be paying off.
  17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Yeah, ya gotta wonder though if he is giving these guys the heads up with whats going on? or are they just bein told by the media...I mean, it seems like everytime the media asks a player like rip or tay and ben whats goin on or in rips case were you told by jd or q, they always say no or i guess it is what it is
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I don't think it's that easy, he clearly struggles with trying to run a team, he just isn't cut out for it. Stuckey is starting to make plays, but it's not just making plays, it's knowing what, when, which play to make based on time, score, and who has the hot hand or mis-match, knowing when to change a play, adjust on the fly etc etc etc, there's too many nuances to the PG position that he just doesn't understand, couple that with a shaky jump shot and we get the train wreck we've all been seeing the last 2 1/2 years. Game management is something very few players do well, T-Mac has been doing it his whole career it just went unnoticed because he was always a prolific scorer who could avg 25+ppg.
  19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

lol

I don't take much away from that. I've heard the "it is what it is" line from him countless times. Rodney is a really soft spoken guy and I've always felt he looked a bit uncomfortable with the media.
  20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

He's coming to terms with that too, in the postgame interview yesterday he even joked. Something like "...and he's even starting to jump now, we didn't know he could jump!" when asked about Monroes progress.