Stuckey requests for Singler to start

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's worth a try.

Things to watch:
    - can Singler continue his solid play with added pressure?
    - Will Stuckey ever be asked to run the point with the 2nd unit (without Bynum on the floor?). He could have English as his 2 guard. Coach could just give Stuck the green light to create his own instead of trying to incorporate others.
    - Will our 2nd unit actually be better than our 1st? (Knight, Singler, Prince, Maxiell, Monroe vs Bynum, Stuckey, Maggette, Jerebko, Drummond)...
    - What happens when losses continue to pile up? Will Frank quickly reverse this and call it a temporary experiment?

Mark V likes this.
  3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Both Stuckey and Bynum can create shots for themselves and the 2nd unit is in dire need of a go to scorer.

Singler may have had a good game but he's still a rookie so there will be ups and downs. Still, switching JJ for Maxiell did wonders for chemistry. Maybe this is what is needed.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The above aforementioned is why I have ZERO problem with Will Bynum. I believe that the plan is for Will to be an aggressive scorer off the bench, because that unit (or this whole team for that matter) does not have anyone who can get there own shot except for Will.............which is truly a sign of the sad state of affairs in Piston Land.

5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Stuckey's a combo guard.
    Let him be a combo guard - Backing up both Knight and Singler.
    ...still want Kenny to get some minutes though.

6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Its a win win move in my view... It shows the players are more worried about wins then stats, and if it doesn't work you can put Stuckey back in the starting lineup. It looks good for Stuckey. It looked good that the coach didn't bail on Stuckey after one game. Looks good the coach was willing to listen to the players when they requested change.

Hope it works....

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm still a little curious on how English can fit into the team as well. Singler has gotten some burn and produced above expectations. English hasn't really had the chance yet to show what he can do. He's looked good on D and with the 3.

8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If Stuckey stays on the bench then we need to move Bynum and that opens mins up for English. Another plus for this possible perm move.

9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think Stuckey, Singler and Coach Larry could come out looking good...a win, win, win scenario.

10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Now if we could just get JMax to go to Larry Frank and submit a formal request for Drummond to start we'd be on our way.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

How 'bout they just send Stuckey on his way?

KGREG likes this.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's actually pretty funny that instead of earning minutes, our players have to file formal requests to be demoted.

BallDon'tLie likes this.
  13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Ever the conspiracy theorist, I see this as a selfish move on Stuckey's part. He knows this team is going to suck no matter what. If he came back and the losses continued, everybody will be talking about that "one awesome game" where Stuckey didn't start and spinning the "what if" machine dreaming about Singler starting. Now, he'll just be content to let the losses pile up and then when people call up his name, he'd be coming back to the starting lineup as the savior. Rip pulled this same crap during the tablecloth season, with the exception being the fact that he wasn't the one to initiate it.

I hope that this plays out perfectly, Singler shines at the 2, Stuckey assumes Bynum's role, JJ gets more burn at the 3 with Singler out of the picture and Frank is forced to play Slava or even CV with the second unit. That would be the ideal scenario, but I feel something sinister here.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I had that same thought. That's kind of why I'm ruminating on how rare this is in the history of the NBA. When it's been done before (i.e. voluntarily asking for a demotion for the betterment of the team), it was probably done by a veteran player who knew that the coach wouldn't make the move. What other young player in his athletic prime requests to go to the bench?

Ignoring all that, the thing that I like about this move is that we are playing bigger basketball. Singler is a pretty big SG, but still has range to spread the floor. With Maxiell and Monroe packed in the paint, there's nowhere to drive.

15. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Wow, did not see that coming, but props to Stuckey for initiating it. Maybe it speaks a lot to what this TEAM is trying to create - a TEAM. One that can win without a superstar. We all know this is the only way the wins come in Detroit and I'm happy to see this.

Even if Stuck ends up back as a starter, I can see this action as a possible major turning point.

16. copper

copper Bench Warmer

huge props to stuckey and I like him in the vinnie johnson role off the bench where he can look to score more instead of spreading it around so much with the first unit.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Interesting pre-emptive move by Stuckey. He requested the move just before it woulda happened naturally.

BallDon'tLie and KGREG like this.
  18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

A perceptive comment on your end. You have to wonder, yes? Stuckey needs to be moved and the one person who is walking with a limp out of this deal is JD.

19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

There are few things that happen naturally with this club. JD wouldn't know the happenstance of a 38 Special or even how you must handle it....hold on loosely.

linwood likes this.
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

Damn, a .38 Special reference? This is the kind of post that keeps me coming back.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2