Stuckey requests for Singler to start

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I think so. I wasn't suggesting waiving him or anything like that. I would love to make a deal for a better shooter. That's really what we need. CV works for this group right now because with Will AND Knight driving as much as they do and with Monroe and/or Drummond in the paint, CV is a decent option to spread the floor and knock down long range shots in spurts.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Btw, the coach needs to really find a way to get Singler and Tay more shot attempts. They are both good mid-range and three point shooters. Tay's pump faking is a running joke here, but I wonder it the coach has ever once told him to knock it off and hoist some shots up. Singler can't create his own J's off the dribble, but we very rarely run plays for him around screens that result in attempts (ala Rip).

Encouraging these guys to shoot and designing plays for them might really help Knight's assist tallies and would allow him to be more Billups like (i.e. 3-point threat that can drive and only makes really safe passes to jump shooters). With Knight and Monroe working together, it has to be possible to get better results out of the offense. Trading Drummond for Max should help a bit by getting more dunks and offensive rebounds, but it won't fix everything.
    The Panda likes this.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It was sad to see that neither Daye nor Singler could defend Dunleavy. Is Dunleavy that fast? I never thought so.
  4. Pwn Toney

Agreed. I do fear, however, that Tay feels no one can tell him anything because of his tenure. I think Frank's offense relies too heavily on the pick and roll and doesn't provide enough movement/screens for other players to get open if the defense isn't solely focusing on the pick and roll players. If the pick and roll isn't lighting a team up, we get very low in the shot clock. But, I think your suggestion would work wonders and keep Singler from passing up open shots and stop the offense from dying once Prince gets the ball.
  5. Pwn Toney

No, Singler is just that bad defensively. He's ALWAYS late coming off of screens and simply fouls when he can't keep up. Secondly, he's not aggressive on offense AT ALL. He refuses to look for his own shot and pump fakes when he's wide open. Daye...c'mon...it's Daye.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They can't stay in front of anyone or fight through screens, despite the effort. They are taller than normal for their positions though, so they can be specialty defenders in the right scheme (zone with Drum behind them maybe?).
  7. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I would really like to see him playing the three. His game is tailor made for working the baseline and hitting that corner three.
    The Low likes this.
  8. BillLaimbeer

Daye is learning that patented pump fake from his twin brother Tay.

Good to see you back around here, Low!!
    roscoe36 likes this.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't the bench take off when Stuckey got hurt and regress when he came back?

Bynum is the weak shooter when he's not paired with Stuckey yet Stuckey passes him the ball when they do play together.
  10. Pwn Toney

Thanks man! The last year and a half has been kind of nuts for me, but I miss having people to bat this stuff around with. Blazer fans just aren't doing it for me.
    The Panda and copper like this.
  11. BillLaimbeer

I was going to say, "It's good to see you back around even though you are wrong most of the time." A Blazer fan might say something like that. Not us. We are too good for that.
    The Low likes this.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like the 2nd unit better with Singler in for Stuckey because he completes the Magic Palace model.

I just looked at the efficiency rankings of our starting unit year by year going back to 2008.

08: 12th (Billups)
    09: 29th (Stuckey)
    10: 29th (Stuckey)
    11: 24th (Stuckey)
    12: 29th (Knight)
    13: 30th (Knight)

That's a bad stretch. It's the Stuckey/ Knight era.

The blip up in 2011 was mainly Stuckey/ Rip/ Tay/ Monroe/ Wallace with some significant starts by TMac, Wilcox, and Ben Gordon and more than 10 starts by Austin Daye, Maxiell, and Villanueva.

It's sad to think that Stuckey/Rip/Tay/Monroe/ Wallace is significantly better than Knight/ Singler/ Tay/ Monroe/ Maxiell since Ben Wallace was way past his prime. However, Rip was still our top scorer on a per minute basis and Singler is one of our bottom producers. Stuckey led the team in gross scoring, which isn't much different than Knight right now. Maxiell produces more than Ben Wallace offensively, so I'm pinning a lot of the blame on our vacancy at SG right now.
  13. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Today's game was a good example. Stuck had iirc 14 points at the half, considered "good" by Blaha and Kelser, but the team was down 16 after the bench had gotten the deficit down to 2 before he came in (Indy then went on a big run once he did). He's a very, very ball dominant guard and his ability doesn't justify the amount of leeway he gets - you'd be hard pressed to find another team that allows this from a role player whose been given chance after chance after chance and who continues to get them (I realize I am now repeating myself, but this makes me really mad). We now have an excess of PGs - hopefully Joe can completely rid us of the "buffoonery" leaders so this team can finally move forward.
    Side note: Stuck finished with 14 points, having scored nothing, zip, nada, the rest of the game and helping the team who averages 20+ apg to a measly 11. Is it a coincidence that since he's come back the Pistons' assist totals have also come crashing down? I don't know, but definitely Greg also has something to do with that. 0 assists, 4 turnovers today.

Edit: Welcome back, Low! We missed you.
  14. copper

copper Bench Warmer

exactly alexa, even when he is scoring, the rest of the team is basically trying to stay out of his way as he runs all over trying to get an angle to attack the rim. or he'll hit a jumper and think hes got the green light and then he'll miss the next 4 shots...all the while his teammates are running up and down the court never touching the ball. It just seems to deflate any energy they have when hes out there.
    alexa032 and del like this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It was the best defense in the league. Bynum was the only guy on the team to shoot 50%, except for Slava in GT.

Stuckey's FG% was better than Knight, Singler, Maxiell, Jerebko, Drummond, English, and Villanueva. He was 2nd on the team in assists (with only 2). He also led the team in steals.

Who you gonna play at SG after 2 rotation players drop out? Kim "clothesline" English? That guy is lucky he didn't get his ear bitten off.
  16. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

He is an ugly guy who has a hard face which most of us won't feel entertained and felt good to add sad stories to :-) .
  17. copper

copper Bench Warmer

That was 1 game and I have seen more than enough of Stuckey through the years to say without a doubt " get rid of him and we will be better without him" He has skill? yes... on another team he may fit into what they are doing..but on this team with the youth we are trying to build? NO. There is a reason that the offence becomes the Stuckey show when hes in there, he basically tries to do everything for himself and the rest of the team stands around. Stuck is more of a 1 on 1 player and not necessarily in a good way.
    alexa032, The Low and Nemo like this.
  18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey is a visionary who brought the running offense from NFL to the NBA. He should be inducted to the HOF.
  19. copper

copper Bench Warmer

power slant
  20. Pwn Toney

ROFL! GOLD. :rofl: