Stuckey Rocks!!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by doublead, Jan 28, 2008.

1. doublead

doublead First Round Draft Pick

Are anyone giving up on stuckey yet i know the last ten games he been struggling it seems he can't buy a basket i know missing 25 games have somthing to do with it
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Re: Stuckey Struggling

I expect everyone to struggle out the gate.
  3. doublead

doublead First Round Draft Pick

Im not giving up on him yet i just wanted to see what other pistons fans think. I know he will get it together soon he just needs to get in a zone
  4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

i don't think we'll see an all that inspiring rookie season. He may make an impact for a quarter or two in the playoffs...hopefully, that will be all we need to make it to the top.

We should be seeing something next season....imo
  5. lk#1

lk#1 First Round Draft Pick

After the injury the expectations were too high. He needs some time. I'm sure he will be a much better player in the po. We should be happy that all problems he has came out so early. Stuckey and Saunders have got enough time to adjust.
  6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rookie point guards who don't struggle are few and far between.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Stuck and AJ to a lesser degree are very different from Maxiell and Afflalo, in that both played against lesser competition, and did not have to bear the burden of a national spotlight.

You can see the difference in how they play. Afflalo clearly has limits on his upside, and plays within them. Maxiell has quickly figured out that if he doesn't work hard, he won't get anything done.

But Stuckey and AJ are still struggling a little to find their game at this level. They are learning what they can do, what they can't do, and then the next step is focusing on what they need to do.

Upside

Stuckey has very good speed, and a nose for the paint (or at least to shorten up long shot attempts). He's a decent finisher at the rim and a fairly good FT shooter. Surprising passing game.

Amir has insane athleticism, and a nose for the ball. His slight build doesn't prevent him from succeeding in traffic near the hoop.

Criticisms

Stuckey is prone to lazy passes, particularly in a league where the role players are veteran defenders, who look specifically for passes to pick off. His jumpshooting is erratic, could be his hand. Man defense is fine if he is aggressive, team defense is lousy.

Amir is good using his athleticism, but still doesn't get good position for rebounds, and doesn't have much of a post game. If he could clean this up with a couple solid moves, and better placement, he could be a dominant inside player. IF.

When it comes to team defense, Amir has been getting better, but he's still got a long way to go. He seems to be a natural replacement for Ben Wallace, with his speed and agility allowing him to defend all of the way out to the perimeter, as well as show and recover on P&Rs in a way that Antonio McDyess cannot.

Good players, lots of potential, lots of learning and seasoning required. I can already see the transition from over confidence, to lack of confidence, which is good, because you have to tear down some of the swagger and replace it with skills.
  8. Murph

Murph First Round Draft Pick

In no way should the Pistons give up on Stuckey, but IMO he has a long way to go. He still seems overwhelmed by the pace of the game on the pro level. Hopefully, he can develop into a productive reserve PG by the playoffs. However, we may have to wait until next year for him to break out.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In his last 55 minutes, he has 4 points on 2-19 shooting, 0 FT attempts, 5 assist, 5 turnovers, and 9 fouls.

Not good.

He hasn't made more than 3 baskets in a game yet this year.

And just something really weird, but not meaningful, he has had exactly 0 (3 times), 1 (9 times), or 3 (7 times) rebounds in every game this year. Never 2.
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's early to think about this, but....

I'm thinking the two biggest issues with the Pistons entering the playoffs are a back-up point guard and a back-up small forward. (Assuming Amir can become the fourth big.) Best you can say right now is that the jury is still out on both Stuckey and Hayes.

Stuckey is struggling, as is expected. Nobody with his level of experience can waltz in and run this offense. Hopefully the hand injury is what set him back and with time and a long season can come around and show what he was starting to show towards the end of pre-season.

Hayes seemed pretty good the first twenty or thirty games, but maybe that was new team rush. Hopefully he's in a slump now and the real Hayes is the one we saw early and not the one we're seeing now. Beyond Hayes you have Fabio - who might be productive in short spurts, Affalo - ditto, and Amir playing out of position - not sure I've seen anything that would make me think he could do this.

Little scary.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A big part of the problem is that we have 3 backup point guards who can't shoot.

On the year:
    Lindsey- 29% overall/ 28% on 3-pointers
    Stuckey- 30% overall/ 14% on 3's
    Murray- 41% overall/ 22% on 3's/ 60% FT's

We are so proud of ourselves for having a Center who can stretch the defense, but what about guards? Chauncey and Rip are great, but maybe a big reason for the lack of offensive production from the bench is that the defense can collapse without fear. Afflalo and Hayes are exactly lighting it up either.

Stuckey needs to drive, but he can't do it when they don't respect his shot and they don't respect his teammates shots either. If I were the other coach, I'd let him take wide open college 3's all day long.
  12. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Maybe we should be looking @ Mighty Mouse?

:fishing:
  13. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

The good news is all of the criticisms* seem correctable, and fairly easily corrected...

* which I agree are accurate
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that the only way to make this thing work this year with Stuckey, is to surround him with some shooters.

Perhaps the best option would be Sheed + Rip. He can hit the 3 and he can draw the biggest defender out of the paint for Stuck.

You'd have to shorten up Rip and Sheed's first stints so that they can get back out there early in the 2nd. Stuck/Rip/Hayes/Max/Sheed should be a good lineup for him. And quit doing that play where he just hands off to Rip at the top after bringing the ball down the court.

Maybe you end the half with Billups/Afflalo/Tay/Amir/Dyess.
  15. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Make Rip the first sub and get Stucky out there with ALL the starters for at least part of his time.

When Rip and Stucky are out there together it gets real scary because then Rip is handling the ball sometimes (VERY FRIGHTENING)
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

For someone with so little post game, Amir sure does have a lot of success in the post. As someone who has quite recently reviewed every post move Amir has made this season, I can tell you he makes a very high percentage of his post moves. Further, many of them are impressive as all get out. Now, perhaps you are basing his poor post play on one game where he missed three shots? I got something to tell you, those were good shots. He just missed, most likely from rust from sitting for far too long.

Remember that series of blowouts, where Amir got some playing time on a fairly regular basis? Each game, he got like one or two tries on the post. And in each game, he came up with a fairly spectacular post move.

I will go you one further by the way. Amir has, by far, the best post up game on the team. This includes excellent instincts on when to pass the ball instead of taking a shot. Stay tuned, when Amir starts getting shots, you will be amazed. (Although if you were able to watch all the games, you would not have missed some of his abilities.)
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that his post game seems pretty good for a pseudo-rookie.

His passing IQ seems surprisingly high too.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is true. Rip basically become our PG when they play together. He dribbles way too high, doesn't get his usually open looks by running around screens, and Stuckey doesn't do much off the ball, except get his shot blocked. So that Stuckey-Rip hand-off maneuver is not the answer.
  19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

This thread is lost in space somewhere.

He is a rookie with about 15 games at point guard.

:hoops:
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's why we're talking about ways to help him get comfy.