Stuckey says hes OK

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by copper, Mar 9, 2010.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Those are all fair points Roscoe, and I do agree that Stuckey should take more of those open jumpers off the dribble. If you can keep the defense off-balance, you really open up the entire game for yourself.

I think it's just a style of play issue for me with Bynum. His game just reminds me too much of Iverson, but a really poor man's Iverson. In the role he's been playing on the team... that's fine. But as a 35 MPG starter? Absolutely not.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not basing it on one game, but I am discounting a big part of the season where Will was trying to play on two sprained ankles (those damned shoes!).

Interesting about their J's. I guess they do shoot about the same.

It looks like WB's overall FG% is so much higher because of his finishing ability in the paint.

Stuck shoots .487 in the paint, gets blocked 15% of the time, and is the recipient of an assist on 30% of those makes.

WB shoots .587 in the paint, gets blocked 19% of the time, and is only scoring off of a pass 19% of the time.

So, Will is actually driving to the basket more often on an unassisted basis and converts 10% more of the time. This is another indication of their natural differences, where Will is more nimble and Stuck is better off the ball on slashes.

On their J's, WB is assisted on 20% of them and Stuckey on 33% of them. So, overall, Will is creating for himself more often and he is assisting others more often.

Stuckey's stats may also be skewed a bit because he has actually played the role of the SG in the offensive sets (i.e. Bynum's stats may be different if he was asked to do that).
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yes. Stuckey's assist totals are lower because of this.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know how anyone can watch Stuckey play and say he is a good rebounder.
  5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

6. DesmoPiston

DesmoPiston First Round Draft Pick

Re: Doc says hes OK

Stuckey is lactose intolerant. The doctor's are missing it. You heard it here first!
  7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Isn't he 5th among all point guards in rebounds per game?

How is he not a good rebounder?
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Because, he is not averaging a triple-double.

That's my expectation and he's falling short of that. Stuckey was supposed to be a 20-10-10 guy, but he's only giving us 17.1-5.0-4.3. What a rip-off.
  9. max

max All-Star

But that last stat is the reason why we have had such poor ball movement this year.
  10. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

His 4.3 rebounds?

For a guy who has played large chunks of the season at the 2, where the sets run through Rip when he IS at the point, I don't see 5apg as a terrible number.

Rodney "moves" the ball just fine. Some people just expect him to be a Chris Paul-style drive and dish every possession type of guy, when that is just impossible with Rip Hamilton on the team. Rip's offense at this point is all iso's and screens set specifically to get him deep jumpers, and we run it almost exclusively when he's in the game (Which happens to also be when Rodney is in the game).

Who has been the constant here over the "slowest paced team in the league" era? I'll give you a hint. It's not Stuck.
  11. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Great post, best post I've seen in here for a few weeks. We desperately need to get rid of Rip so we can see the true potential of our new young squad. Although I wouldnt be upset if we kept Tay.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Joe.

When Rip and Tay were injured, we were still slow.
  13. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Joe is definitely part of it (I thought that while typing the post as well). Still, you can't take a team that is used to playing one way, and expect they'll be playing an entirely different system overnight just because the guy that usually gets the ball is out of the lineup. Even when Rip and Tay were out, we still fell back on our 2 guard (Stuck or BG) running around those screens. Because that's what this team has practiced.

It's worth noting as well that since we were missing Rip/Tay (and at times BG/CV), we were down LOADS of talent. Obviously in those situations it helps to limit possessions, and concentrate on slowing the other team down. So, I'm not saying it's addition by subtraction just to toss Rip out. I'm simply hoping that replacing them with players that will help move the ball, and speed up the tempo will help to turn this team around.

The Pistons need to go into training camp next year minus Rip and with a different mentality. If for no other reason than to turn BG's career back in the right direction, so that contract doesn't blow up in Joe's face.
  14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The entire Joe Dumars era has been about stall ball, from Carlisle, to bringing in LB of all people to speed up the team, to Flip's thorazine playbook to Curry, to Kuester.

It's always the same story. I don't think it is Stuckey's fault we play slow, it is just who we are. We could kinda pull it off when we had 4 All Stars, and McDyess off the bench. We had 6 starter quality players that executed well.

We haven't had that for 2 seasons, so now we play not to lose, stall ball. Kuester making offense and defense subs at the end of games, playing not to lose. The team tightening up with leads in the 4th, playing not to lose.

That is why we dropped 3 straight ECFs. We played all year not to lose, and then when the stakes were high, we simply didn't have the moxie to win.

I think Rip and Tay can play (and be good in a high tempo system). The problem is, organizationally you have to commit to a system like that, and second, you need a PG who is either a great distributor like BDiddy, or a great shooter like Stephon Curry, or both, like Steve Nash.

Very few people can play up tempo with a point guard whose primary weapon is the layup. That's not a knock on Stuckey, but it is an honest assessment of the reality of trying to fun and gun with a one who doesn't take 3s.
  15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am experiencing some serious deja vu here....
    [​IMG]
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Call me crazy, but I don't consider being the 5th best rebounding PG to be that big of an accomplishment especially when you are a 2 guard playing the 1.

Who is he out rebounding, Earl Boykins?
  17. discotom

discotom First Round Draft Pick

Maybe it was the excitement of the beginning of a new season, but I felt like we played fast those first two games where no one was injured and everyone was focused. It was fast and loose, but they played like a team.

Then something got into their heads (Q).
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Rip got hurt in the 4th qtr of game 1....Daye and JJ were suspended that first game, and I think Tay was gone by game 4, so we never had all of the intangibles in place until sometime in January and by then it was probably to late.
  19. max

max All-Star

I had no complaints at all with the old offense. I enjoyed that nice half court game with all the crisp passing. Nothing wrong with our offense with CB. Only thing I questioned was the heart. They lacked that extra gear to play through fatigue in the later stages of the post-season.
  20. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

NO comparison...CB is CB..