1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Stuckey to the bench?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Jan 18, 2009.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

LAP posted this in the Hornets game thread and I thought it was worthy of it's own thread cuz I didn't want the notion to just get lost there.

With the raging debate on whether AI or Rip should come off the bench, have a lot of us overlooked bringing Rodney off the bench?

Nothing against Stuck...he's been playing pretty well and has been a pleasant surprise. But he's still young and hopefully hasn't developed a massive ego like AI & Rip. Regardless of what AI & Rip have said about being willing to come off the bench, I don't believe either one of them.

With the horrendous result of Curry's smallball philosophy, seems obvious the Pistons cannot go on like this. MC doesn't have the stones to send AI or Rip to the bench...the question is if they are even big enough to send Rodney to the bench, at least on a trial basis.

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Chauncey was traded so that Rodney could take over at PG though...but I will take anything at this point. Put anyone to the bench I don't care as long as it gets us wins. I am sick of being a .500 team. There is A LOT of time left to turn things around.

3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Interesting view. I would agree with this, but the problem is RIP and AI can not play together. AI tries to much to differ to RIP and RIP seems to totally ignore AI when they are on the floor together. AI does a better job of involving everyone in the offense with Tay getting more looks.

I guess it is worth a shot, but to me it doesn't matter who starts it is not what is costing us games. It is the line up that is on the floor the last 5 mins of the game that is costing us victories. Poor rebounding in the last 5 mins due to Small Ball. Stagnant offense due to Small Ball.

The bigger question is who sits when the game is on the line? RIP, AI or Stuckey?

4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

That's the problem right there. It is not a question that can be answered. The answer changes from game to game. It depends which two are more successful in the particular game. There should not be an absolute decision/answer.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

And that does what to the cohesion of the team?

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

What? Its not a bad thing. In fact making an absolute rotation at the end of the game may discourage players who are not a part of that rotation. We don't have the luxury of having 5 great starters who are consistent anymore.

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Again though, isn't it tough to be consistent when they don't know their roles or if they're going to play? Randomly playing the 5 guys who happen to be playing best sounds great in theory, but isn't feasible.

First off, how do you find out who the 5 best guys are each night? What if you don't figure this out until the 3rd quarter, do you never sub the whole half? Don't we get beaucoup posts about that already? What if Player A was only effective in the 1st half or with certain players?

It is easy in hindsight to look at last nights game and say Sheed should not have come back in, but the whole reason you had him sitting in the first place was to come back in the game rested with 5-6 minutes to go.

8. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Stuckey to the Bench sounds right

What's the definition of insanity again? You keep doing the same things over and over again and hoping for a different result. That's Curry and his small balls philosophy. I'm sure Stuckey has a fairly large ego which is a healthy thing to have when you're a basketball player but he's still a relative newbie in terms of being a pro. Rip and AI have huge egos and they see playing off the bench as a demotion and that's never going to change. So go with Stuckey from the bench and trade AI or RIP the first decent deal that gets offered and the problem is solved.

Toronto is offering up Jermaine O'Neal so there is no rule that we have to hold onto AI for the rest of this year. So get 'er done there Joe and it's all about playing your best ball in April/May for the playoffs.

9. max

max All-Star

I would more tempted to trade AI over Rip. Too many questions on AI returning next year. Every time I see a Raptors game O'Neal is out so I don't know about that.

If Stucky is going to be tentative anyway then perhaps he should go back to the bench. He was inserting as a starter when there were those chemistry issues but compared to what we have seen lately it can't be any worse.

You do risk marginalizing Stucky but if this continues then no one is going to want to play here. Even Dyess seemed to be having 2nd thoughts in his post-game comments the other game.

Its not too late to turn this thing around. When you think about it - its only been 1 week with this. Lot of catastrophies - I mean "games" but they all happened in a 1 week time span.

10. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Stuck should start. He is a player on the rise and will be the Stones best player, if he is not already. Plus he is the future of this team, not AI or Rip.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rip's taller. I'd keep him.

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Absolutely correct about this. Big time struggles and all those games piling on at once.

One thing for sure: when sending Sheed for those last 5 minutes, you best be sure he has been in the mix. He is un-coachable and the green light is always on regardless of the traffic pattern.

Hard to tell if things tightened up for AI in those last few minutes, but this is one guy you need in there during crunch time.

13. Krowe

Krowe First Round Draft Pick

Stuckey shouldn't be the one that gets benched. He has been playing phenomenally of late Rip should be the one who goes to the bench because without him Stuckey and A.I. played great together and Tay was playing his best basketball of the season at the 3. Also the defense is a whole lot better with Amir helping Sheed in the paint. Without small ball we would have beat the Pacers, the Bobcats, and the Thunder. Curry needs to recognize that he can't call plays for 3 Guards, we're not the Warriors.

14. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

I'd say reduce Rodney's minutes, without benching him, due to his back and get Allen a little more time at PG. When Rodney comes in, you can decide whether you want him as the PG or the SG, depending on who you sub him out for.

Tayshaun should never be depended on to set up plays.

However, Tayshaun and Rodney should be taken into a room and asked who they want starting with them, Richard or Allen. Not both, either/or. The odd man out will have to suck it up and they never have to know how the decision was made.

No matter what, those are the two guys that you want to build the next generation of the Pistons around. If the Pistons organization can keep that conversation confidential, then that is what you need to do.

15. pass99

Which one (or both) gets Curry's salary?

16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I love this post. It's easy to play armchair QB while watching a game, but it's not always obvious what the best plan of action is. What you gain in versatility, from having a lot of talent, you lose in consistency, by not having very clearly defined roles and not allowing players to grow into those roles. You can't have it both ways. Even hindsight is not always 20/20.

17. pass99

You can go this route, but it does take some special care in developing it out. It would take a seasoned coach to pull it off. You can bet that Stuckey is being hit hard in the locker room. He's too delicate right now after those big games and I would be against it.

Whew! For a minute I thought we would be striking out on new PG territory.

Absolutely not! He would be finished as a head coach if took this route.

18. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

He's almost finished as a head coach because Richard had a conversation with a reporter! and got his desired result. If he were to go to Tayshaun and Rodney, he would actually have two players "on his side" in the locker room. Two players that seemingly have a guaranteed stay in Detroit.

The call is out for a leader(s) of the team. This is one way to go. Make it clear who the team is looking to and have the rest of the team follow suit.

I thought that I read somewhere that part of Michael's appeal was his relationship with the players. He'd actually have two players that could vouch for him if he went to them, because now, it looks like he isn't discussing anything with any of them.

19. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I wouldn't say that Rodney should go to the bench. He's a bit better with making decisions than AI is. AI has a history of taking the game over and not being a true point guard. I'm not saying that Rod is a true point guard as of right now but he definitely have moments where he is. I think if Rod went to the bench, it would be more chaos on the floor in the starting minutes of the game. M.C. better man up and do his duty as a coach, for the team, for the fans, and for the organization. NOW!!!!

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Wrong question. It simply does not matter, if you got Sheed and Dyess paired together for the last five minutes. We will lose regardless of who our guards are. Because no defense will be played around the basket. (Both Sheed and Dyess are too slow to get to the plays that the other coach will run - for certain - when he sees we are not covering the middle. After all, there are not that many rookie coaches out there who would miss such an easy opportunity to score.)