Stuckey's field goal percentage and Amir's contribution

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lk#1, Jan 3, 2009.

1. lk#1

lk#1 First Round Draft Pick

The last few games (with the exception of the game against Sacramento) Stuckey had little problems with shooting percentage. He finished games under 50%. It's not a big deal for a short stretch but i think it was caused by the Chicago game. After the 40 pts game he was impatient. He rushed shots early in the game. He has great games when he starts games with 3,4 good shots early in the game. Look at the Chicago and the Sacramento games. He started hot and he kept it going. He's become a very good player but what he should do now is concentrate to get the rest of the players going early - especially Amir. Before coming back to the starting lineup i thought Amir didn't have fun playing basketball. He tried but he didn't have momentum. Now he's looking like a different person on the court. When he's on early he is contributing and making other players look better. 3 games against Portland, Utah and Denver will show whether this team is ready to compete. I believe they are but what Stuckey needs to do is to take over lately. Bad shots early influence his game in a bad way.
  2. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

it would be fun to see the mentor against the student...i still think Chauncey would send Rod to school
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't think CB can play Rod. Chauncey always had the softest cover on defense when he was here for us.

Rod is big, he's fast and he's shooting very well.

It would be fun to watch.
  4. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

You mean WILL be fun to watch, right? We play the Nuggets later this month...
  5. roscoe36

AI might guard Chauncey and likewise.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Has Stuck gone off against a team with a good shot blocker yet?

If we play SA, will Bowen guard him? That might be good news for Rip.
  7. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Well, he had 20 points on a high percentage, 9 rebounds against Atlanta (Josh Smith). Not sure if you would call it "going off", but he had 19/5/4 against Dwight Howard's Orlando Magic.

As for his shooting percentage, I think we should just be thankful that he's shooting 47.6% despite a horrible start to the season (35% through ELEVEN games). That 47.6 is tied with Kobe Bryant, and ahead of Brandon Roy, Derrick Rose, Devin Harris, Chauncey, Vince Carter, Carmelo, Granger, All the scorers on our team, etc.

Since becoming a starter he has shot 52.5%, which is nuts for a guard. And to think, before he became a starter, 40% was a struggle.

FYI, Chauncey's career mark is 41.6%. 40.7% in the playoffs.
  8. roscoe36

Stuckey's shooting is off the charts really. I rarely expect a PG to shoot better than 42%. What's weird is how one day, his jumper started falling, and it really hasn't stopped.

I went from wincing every time he took a shot, to now expecting each jumper to go, even the long ones. (well, truth be told, I still wince a little bit lol)
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yeah, I don't know how valid this point is. Stuckey has found his groove as a starter and is shooting the lights out, as a starter he's shooting over 50%, point guards just don't do that.
  10. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I definitely can't wait for that Denver game on the 9th. It's going to be real good (well I hope). I think Jr Smith (if he starts, idk) would probably guard Rodney and Chaunce on AI. But if they get a mismatch, I think Rod will school Chaunce :p
  11. copper

copper Bench Warmer

remember, he injured his wrists when shaq put him to the floor. That defenitely affected his shooting %.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

For guards, it's all about eFG% since they are shooting a lot of 3's.

Stuck is at .493 + 2.6 free throw makes per game
    CB is at .506 + 5.3 free throw makes per game.

But another thing to consider (in Stuckey's favor) is the Barry Sanders factor. Which would you rather have on your team, a running back that averages 120 yards per game, but gets stopped for a loss on 25% of his runs, or a running back that averages 110 yards per game and always gets at least 2 yards.

In theory, we should get less variability from a guy who doesn't take so many 3's, but still gets a similar eFG.

On the other hand, a 3-point threat will open up the floor and provide more spacing for other players.

On the other other hand, a penetrator like Stuck will allow us to crash the offensive boards and result in easy buckets for bigs off of defensive break downs.

But then again, it's nice having a guard back to defend fast breaks.

There's a lot of what have you's. A lot of ins and outs.
  13. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The biggest thing for me, is that when you need a bucket in a tight situation, eFG% means nothing. At that moment, the regular FG% is what it is. Specifically pertaining to Billups/Stuckey, The guy who gets treys in the flow of the game or technical FT's to boost that eFG% is less likely to produce that much needed made field goal than the guy who makes a higher percentage of his shots.

Granted there are other factors in that as well (clutch factor). But I think Stuck measures favorably in that category as well at this point.
  14. lk#1

lk#1 First Round Draft Pick

If he maintains 47% it will be great but... this shooting percentage may be a little bit misleading because of few games in which his shooting percentage was close to 60%.

I meant a difference between games like against Orlando 7/19 (and few others like 6/14, 5/12) and against Sacramento 15/29 (i can remember 7/8 or something close to this in the first games as a starter). My point is that he has games in which he is impatient: such as Orlando game in which he started 1/5 and his decision making wasn't perfect.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The eFG that I mention doesn't include free throws, it just blends 2 pointers and 3 pointers. That's why I also included their FT makes per game, so show that CB is also getting more of those per game. Although, Stuckey should take over that category in time I would think once the refs realize he's D Wade Jr.

But yeah, I agree with your point on regular fg%, that is why I included the Barry Sanders analogy. It's sort of like a median vs. an average.

Whatever the case, we're stuck with Stuck. However he gets his FG% up is fine with me.

One other thing to note. Stuckey has taken the top spot on the Roland Ratings. I really think this is a valuable barameter of how well a player is playing.

Detroit Pistons NBA stats and data from 82games.com

Earlier in the season, he was near the bottom. The big difference is that he's shooting 20% higher on jump shots now than he was then.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What about Amirs Double/double against OKC ?
    10 and 14
    Curry can't hold him back any more.
  17. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There are more than some might think. Some are more impressive than others if you take into account where they shoot from. A quick reference is 3-Point Attempts, which I put in brackets. The guys who take a lot of 3's but still have a great FG% are pretty awesome.

Jameer Nelson - 52.7 (4.1)
    Rajon Rondo - 52.7 (0.6)
    Tony Parker - 50.1 (0.9)
    Jose Calderon - 49.3 (3.5)
    Chris Paul - 49.2 (2.0)
    Dwyane Wade - 48.4 (3.0)
    Steve Nash - 48.1 (3.6)
    Rodney Stuckey - 47.6 (1.0)
    Brandon Roy - 47.3 (2.7)
    Mo Williams - 47.1 (4.2)

Even more accurate would be to go to NBA.com and check out each players shot charts to see where they are taking their shots from, then comparing those.
    NBA.com: Hot Spots

Here are just a couple. The % reflects the number of shots taken in that area divided by their total shots.

Stuckey
    Around the basket - 47.2%
    6-15ft - 14.6%
    15ft-3P line - 29.6%
    3PA - 8.4%

Parker
    Around the basket - 52.3%
    6-15ft - 11.3%
    15ft-3P line - 31.3%
    3PA - 5%

Nash
    Around the basket - 17.7%
    6-15ft - 21.2%
    15ft-3P line - 27.5%
    3PA - 33.4%

So as you can see Stuckey and Parker are similar players and take roughly 50% of their shot attempts around the basket (within 6ft). Whereas someone like Steve Nash only takes 18% of his shots around the basket, which makes his high FG% that much more amazing.
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's a valid point. Stuckey's shooting is much improved over last season. You can tell he spent many hours in the gym over the summer. But, the fact that about half of his shots are layups is the main reason why his FG% is so high. The better the Stuckey outside shot becomes, the even more lethal the guy becomes as an offensive threat. It's fun to watch this guy break out.
  19. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

The inference from this direction is huge. You have just pointed out the value of Rip. We should not under-estimate the insights that good organizational people bring forward. There will be many insights from opposing teams on stopping newly anointed ones like Stuckey.

The quicker MC learns this, the better. If JD and MC are both weak in this area and afraid (or for lack of insight) we will continue to be a step behind on fixing obvious team weak points.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

As far as being more impressive that a guy makes shots away from the basket... you can also say that it is impressive how often Stuckey gets to the basket.