Stucky or Hunter?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jan 22, 2008.

?

Stucky or Hunter?

1. Stucky

68.2%
  2. Hunter

31.8%
  1. max

max All-Star

Borrowing from one of Buddah's posts on how Coach Flip Saunders is thinking about going with Hunter for now.

Lets help him out. What do you think? Can Stucky improve enough or have you seen enough and think its time to give the old guy a regular spot?
  2. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Stuckey is the future of the Pistons, but Hunter's game changing defense would have saved us last night.
  3. detteam

detteam All-Star

I like Stuckey, but he needs time to ripen. I like Hunter & Afflalo as a D backcourt.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Stuckey needs the PT. Hunter needs to be activated for selected games depending on matchups.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No Murray? :(

Seriously though, it's too close for me to vote on. I guess I'd keep playing Stuckey for the next 20 games to see if he improves. Can't go half-way with development. Flip told him he'll be able to play through mistakes, and that was the right way to do it.

I'd also experiment with Stuckey at the 2 and Hunter at the 1. We know the Hunter/Afflalo combo works, but maybe Hunter/Stuck would be better.

Hunter is what he is and it doesn't take many games to get him into playoff shape, so no need to start playing him during the meaningless regular season.
  6. max

max All-Star

Murry has not been talked about so I assume he is out for good. Afflalo seems to be slated as the 4th guard no matter what happends, besides he has not been doing much more than Stucky lately. Hence the question of Stucky or Hunter as the 3rd guard.

I would give Stucky a little more time. The Way this team operates, if he is out then he may be out for good. They would say wait until next year but Dumars would probably go out and sign another guard over the summer to play his position.

There could be a middle ground where Hunter is activated in place of Wally and only used in certain situations. That could be a workable happy medium but Flip would have to be committed enough to always find 5-10 MPG for Stucky.

Lets see whats happends. Kid is supposed to be talented so maybe once he has that breakout game we can go forward from there.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Stuckey.
    At some point you're gonna have to get Hunter involved to shake off some rust but otherwise you want to give Stuckiness all the chances to develop.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's how I see it too, so I am going to abstain from voting in this poll.:sssh:
  9. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

I'm sorry, but the only question here is should Hunter play alongside Stuckey.

I am not saying I don't want to see Hunter, but not playing Stuckey is just plain dumb, unfortunately the only coach I can imagine being this dumb is Flip. I love Lindsay and he is still one my #2 Piston, and believe he should be playing alongside Stuckey. They seem like they would be pretty great complimentary players. We all know Lindsay ain't no point guard, which is why for the last couple years all I have heard on this and other forums is that we need a back up point, but he is probably the best on the ball defender in the league when used for limited minutes.

Playing them togethor allows you to keep the pressure up on the opposing teams point, and takes some of the pressure off of Stuckey when he needs it.
  10. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Wait it out. If Rodney is struggling in early march, bring back Lindsey for the stretch-run. This team is not desperate for regular season wins, and I don't think Lindsey is the answer to our problems right now anyways. Unfortunately, people only remember what you did last, so the Boston/Spurs games make people forget about the other games where Lindsey does nothing but brick a few jumpers, turn the ball over in transition, and pick up fouls.

Stuckey needs the minutes. Lindsey needs the rest. The answer is simple. But, in the end it comes down to how Flip uses Stuckey. Is he the dribble-up and hand off for an iso guy, or does Flip allow him to go into attack mode? The success of the bench and Stuckey hinge almost entirely on that IMO.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

It makes little sense to worry about the difference between Stuckey and Hunter on defense while we are letting Hayes play. Hayes is so bad is he completely overshadows the conversation. We did not lose this last game because Stuckey played. We lost it because Dyess got to play, just because he is a starter, when we needed the defense from Maxiell on the pick and roll, and because Hayes got torched every moment we played him. (Him getting zero points did not help either.)

We also lost partially due to playing Herrmann (just a bit) and Brezec (6 minutes) at the end of the first half. That lost us 7 points right there.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Regular season........let's play Stuckey. When the post season arrives, let's have a new vote..........:)
  13. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

If we really want to follow our own recommendations to treat the regular season as tune up for the playoffs, we should put Stuckey out there for as much time as possible, use Hunter every so often to keep him fresh for the playoffs, and try to do a little better than .500 for the rest of the season.

The one thing that really bothers me is the fact that lately we've been losing games AND having our starters play heavy minutes. I know i can't have my cake and eat it too, but man, having some starters play sub 40 minutes and us losing, thats a waste.
  14. Mrcina

Mrcina First Round Draft Pick

Hayes is awfull, makes the whole defense to fall apart, but Herrmann didn't get a chance really. It would be interesting, if he gets Hayes minutes once in a distant future eventually.:yellowprison:
    I believe (knowing his game) Brezec can be used as a role player (D on Duncan in finals, hopefully:) - he did it quite good, when he was in Charlotte).
    However, positions from 3-5 seem to be more criticall... 15-20 min a game for Amir & Primoz maybe?
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i didn't vote because i'm saying both, like the james/hunter combo
  16. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    How about Stunter?
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

good call, much better than Huckey
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This is a great thing to really start looking at. I think Hunter should be activated. I think Stuckey should get the backup mins in the 1st half and if he has Deer In Headlights Syndrome, then run with Hunter in the 2nd half just like in the game @ SanAntonio.
  19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

You guys have less patience than Flipper.

:hoops:
  20. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You gotta give stuckey a chance....just a rookie..........hunter is good every now and then, but you have to let stuckey play.