Suggestions for JD:

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by booggerg, Feb 19, 2009.

1. booggerg

booggerg First Round Draft Pick

Hire avery johnson right now! we've got half of a season to see what this team has with a proper coach. If we still sucks like we did with MC, then rebuild the positions accordingly. The problem right now is that you don't know how much attributes to the coach and how much the players
  2. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

I don't know about Avery, but I do agree that we'll never know what this team is truly capable of under Michael.
  3. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Yeah, I don't know about Avery but he would be an upgrade over MC. My preference would be Bill L. but if not him then Avery J. would be a good back up.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nearly every available free agent watching the tube tonight knows that Curry is Clueless. If he is the coach no agent will be able to convice their client to come here.

Players want to play for coaches who know what they are doing ...Joe needs to pull the trigger now and get that coach in here now whether it is AVery, Van Gundy, Laimbeer etc...so that he is in place when the summer comes around:reading:
  5. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Good question. Why would a free agent come here?
  6. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Look at D'Antoni in NY. NY Knicks will attract free agents with a high caliber coach. Donnie Walsh is smart and is serious about attracting good players in 2010.

I hate saying it, but with Michael Curry as our coach Joe Dumars looks like a joke.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At this point I would take almost any TV color analyst over Curry to finish out the season,.... even Reggie Miller...and since we have an open roster spot, I'd make him player-coach so that he would put himself in there to hit that clutch three ball to win the game.

Should this one have gone in the sarcasm thread:confused:
  8. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Any sane GM would be doing EXACTLY what Joe is doing if they were in his shoes. Detroit ain't NY, and it sure ain't Kansas, where one can click their heels and make anything happen.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can see how it would look really bad if Joe fired MC and put Laimbeer in as coach and it still didn't work out. Then, it would either prove that the team has faded and it wasn't all MC's fault, or that Joe keeps hiring guys that don't know what they are doing.

If it worked out and we came roaring back with a new tougher style, then that would be great though.

Joe is going to finish this date like a gentleman.
  10. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Nice. I don't believe either man is under any illusions. Curry will be shown the door towards the middle or end of his three year contract unless he starts delivering.

Laimbeer with some decent size for him to work hi magic on would be a treat. But with Sheed at the 5, and not much around him, I honestly don't think Bill would help much. I think Bill would give us maybe 3-4 Ws at best, with not many more Ws to be had even by first tier coaches.
  11. max

max All-Star

They came here before when the team was not so hot and I would imagine they will come again.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

To play with the best back court in the East?
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Couldn't they just re-hire Curry if it didn't work out with Laimbeer?
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Laimbeer needs to come in at the bottom. He would just frustrate these guys with his intensity right now. They are trying in vain. Upping their intensity isn't so easy with 3 33+ year old starters.
  15. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

In order for a good player to come here, he/she must really hate their lives/be misanthropes. And Laimbeer would never, ever become the Piston's coach. Never.
  16. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I think you guys need to stop talking about Laimbeer. It's obvious he won't coach the Pistons.
  17. raxrets

raxrets Starter

I proposed pretty crazy idea in chat , why JD hired MC.

It's crazy and stakes are very high if I'm correct

Dumars already had Flip Saunders here. Safe plays, known rotations. strict playbook. Bastion of stability.

But no ring.

All those "color commentators" usually known as former NBA coaches are exactly "flip saundersis" for JD. What is the point of hiring Avery Johnson? To get to 2nd round?

Well, JD gambles for more than 2nd round and hires a guy who I his mind could in next 2-3 or more years develope to top coach and take his team to highest level. Insanity? Yes? but 'ship is worth of gambling in JD's mind.

If MC fails, OK. "flip saunders" could have instead of failed MC to coach team to 2nd round and well...um

What is 2nd round for JD? Absolutely nothing.

2nd round is not a ring.

as detteam commented in chat my idea" sounds like JD tries to win jackpot in Vegas"

You can't get rings otherwise.( Ok you can get lucky trade a la Sheed or KG cases, but that is another story)