Summer of 2011: Free Agency / Trades

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Walter, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Well, the lockout is around the corner and all, but I thought we could use a thread on FA movement during the summer. That, and I also like to start threads.

Anyways, it looks like David West has opted out and is entering the FA market.
    West likely done in New Orleans - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

I'm lukewarm on that. He's a PF and all, but he's 31 and is coming off a serious injury. I'd probably pass on him unless it involves a S&T that allows us to unload any combination of Rip, CV, Maxiell, Bynum.
  2. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

West has no defense, I don't want him in Detroit.

I want Oden, yes I said it.

I think Greg would like to come here and be one of Kander experiments (McDyess, McGrady..) And I really think that he can play if Kander can make him healthy.

Of course I don't want to sign him for more than 6M per year.. I think it would be pretty nice to have Oden here. I still think he has a everything to prove in this league.

Don't kill me, guys :)
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We appreciate you very much Walter.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I ain't gon' kill ya.
    Greg Olden would be an excllent pickup in the right contract scenario.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Interesting risk/reward scenario on GO.

I really like the guy, but unfortunately he's got the Yao Ming curse.
  6. BallDon'tLie

Joe and Tommy Head-Tilt need to put together a plan to try and acquire one or more of the following:
    DeAndre Jordan
    Greg Oden
    Samuel Dalembert
    Marc Gasol
    Nene
    Carl Landry
    Chuck Hayes

7. BallDon'tLie

I realize that a few of these guys are pipe-dreams. I'm just riffing here.
  8. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

wow, these guys are available and there are no rumours of the Pistons being in the mix?
  9. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I love the idea of having a fit Oden on the roster next to GM, but it doesn't matter how good Kanter is, I just don't think he could string together a normal and future post season to provide substantial support after his already multiple knee issues.

He would be an excellent piece to add to a championship run part way through a season, but I don't think he'd be the right fit/risk for a team trying to claw back to playoff birth.

Saying that, as has been said, the right contract situation would be fine - but you gotta think someone will roll the dice on him at a higher price than we would.

My pick would be Nene.
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think Oden, Dalembert, Landry and Hayes are the most easily attainable of the bunch. I personally would rather take a risk on Oden than sign Dalembert. Landry and Hayes are both nice players, and Hayes actually had a very good season with Houston last year, and his specialty was rebounding and shot blocking. He's a little undersized, but would complement Monroe pretty well.

I'm game for Hayes or Oden.

Nene would be nice, but I don't think Denver would let him go easily. Then again, we do have a trading history with Denver, so you'd never know.
  11. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hayes had a sleeper of a season last year...and Landry is under appreciated as much as he is undersized. With Hayes or Landry at the 4, I'd feel good with having Monroe play good minutes at the 5, only because both of those fellas are physical as all get up.
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't sign West. Just to many red flags for me. Undersized scorer with a torn ACL getting his last big contract and he's been playing with the best point guard in the game.

Unless we get someone like Jordan or Nene I'd rather pick up a cheap filler like Gray or Wilcox. I don't want to panic into long contract with a aging big man just to win 36 games instead öf 29 who's going to be a liability when we are ready for a playoff run. If we get rid of Rip or Gordon, go for quality or go for a filler. Also, I don't want us to pay the big bucks for someone like Marc Gasol. Never ever sign a player who's outperformed his regular season stats during the playoff run before his contract expired. His stats are very likely to regress back to the normal numbers and there is a good chance he's gonna get massively overpaid just because he was lucky enough to go on a heater at the proper time.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am only on line with taking Nene and/or Gasol as my first two choices, and then Dalembert and Landry for the Pistons.

I don't trust Oden's knees or feet or as I think his body parts are as old as he looks. :)

I like DeAndre Jordan, but he needs to stay with the Clippers so that I can continue to cheer on my second favorite team as they slowly get better. In other words [STRIKE]if [/STRIKE] when the Pistons struggle next season, I am hoping to attend some Clipper winnable games at Staples......:sssh:
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Let's assume that the CBA is still the same (roughly).

Nene is going NOWHERE!

West, we really don't want, do we.

Landry, not what we need, he won't make a difference for THIS team.

Dalembert is ideal -IMO- but aging and will chase a ring, unless someone severely overpays for his services......again.....that team should not be us.

Soooo where does that leave us....... I say KEEP Weezy, he finally got healthy and boy was he impressive, that or he decided to play for another $3M/yr contract........probably the latter.
  15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I like keeping Wilcox too. Give him another two year contract.
  16. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I'd give Wilcox a 1-year deal. Seems like his performance goes drastically up in the contract years.
  17. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons and I really mean Gores, needs to make a statement that Detroit is serious about getting back into the playoffs.

You go all out for M. Gasol. I don't care how much you spend to wrap him up, but get him. You know have a solid 5.

Then you get Thaddeus Young from Philly. His making under 3M and give him some minutes at the 3 position.

If you don't get a solid center, then other talents won't bother with the Pistons. It's that simple.
  18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Frankly, I'd be happy if this is just an "addition by subtraction" offseason. Get rid of Rip, Villanueva, and/or Gordon without giving up any draft picks in next year's pool and I'd be happy.

As far as free agents, depending on the new CBA (amnesty clause?) Detroit could be in good position to take advantage of teams shedding salaries and premier players (Josh Smith, Andre Iguodala, Lamar Odom, Monta Ellis). This is going to be a very interesting year.
  19. BallDon'tLie

I agree with everything that you said.
    Of the (pipe dream) list that I offered up earlier, I'd lean more toward guys that are younger (Oden, Hayes, Landry, D-Jordan) and who can grow with our soon to be young team. Dudes like Sam Dalembert, Nene and Gasol are gonna be on contenders no matter what.

I also like the idea of keeping Weezy with a short and cheap deal. We need somebody to play C/PF for a couple years and he makes sense. I'm at the point where I don't want to add anybody to this team that isn't part of the long-term plan of being the type of gritty machine that our championship teams were.
  20. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

To be fair, Villanueva and Gordon bothered with the Pistons, even though they were without a quality center.

Nobody but Memphis is going to end up with Gasol, because they can and will offer him more than he's worth. Young would be awesome, but I doubt that Philly lets him go.