Summer of 2011: Free Agency / Trades

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Walter, Jun 28, 2011.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You should start a Tayshaun Appreciation Thread...
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

So much for the "Joe had his hands tied" theory.
  3. BillLaimbeer

I think too much buttered popcorn over the years has gone to Dumars' brain. Gores isn't going to suffer with us for too long. I'm thinking the leash will be short on Dumars.
  4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

one shouldn't forget that in JoeD's world, Tayshaun is better than Carmelo Anthony.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

First he said that Joe D contacted him and inquired about resigning Prince.

Later he says that he was told that Joe D would be interested in resigning Prince.

I sense that there is some BS in there and JD is playing along (throwing out a favor like interviewing Ewing). It helps Prince's market value if we express interest and even that is a valid strategy by us, because it benefits us slightly if someone else overpays for him.
  6. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

On the other hand it makes Joe look like a doofus.
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Joe can't trade Tay to the Clipps for Kaman unless he re-signs him first. :stirthepot:

or

Joe is getting the band back together.
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

Who the he** knows what this means. Maybe it helps to drive up Tay's sign and trade value.

I hope to ****ing he** that it doesn't mean that Joe really wants Tay on next year's team. I'm glad we had Tay - we don't win the 2004 Championship without him - but he's absolutely the wrong guy for this young team going forward.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It means that thanks to the lockout there's absolutely nothing to report on and it's been almost a week since they last wrote a piece on the Pistons, so they gotta throw something out there.

Coming soon: Richard Hamilton's agent said that Rip wouldn't mind playing for the Pistons for two more years unless he's traded to another team.

Also in the news: Pistons' Ben Gordon continues to work on his shooting during the lockout. Gordon also commented on the speculation that some NBA players playing in Europe during the lockout, saying that while he's not interested in doing that, he's always wanted to see Lisbon.
  10. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Why would anyone do a sign and trade for Tay? I thought the main reason for a sign and trade was to offer the player a longer contract or higher salary. He's 31 so I don't see people lining up to sign him to a 5 year contract or some monster salary. I can't recall anyone at his age in a sign and trade. It would surprise me if something else than Tay leaving as a FA or Joe handing him a moronic contract happened. There is also a good chance sign and trades won't be allowed in the next CBA.
  11. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

This is the same question that I offered up prior to last season's trade deadline. Right now we could be talking about the #26th pick in the draft instead of what the heck Joe is thinking about regarding Tay.

...and in this situation, I don't buy the whole "Joe's hands were tied" excuse due to the fact that the Pistons wouldn't have had to take on anything extra.
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think I read on here that many teams that may want to sign Tay can only offer the MLE, and so a sign-and-trade could be enticing for them. That assumes of course that the MLE, sign-and-trades, Tay, and other teams that want to sign Tay exist.
  13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If a team wants to have Tay, but doesn't have the cap room to offer him a contract, then a sign&trade would become an option for them. Essentially, if a team wants to replace a player under contract they no longer need with a free agent, they would do a S&T.
  14. BillLaimbeer

Correctamundo! :winner_first_h4h::thumb[1]::greenapple:
  15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Your direction is correct. There are many who want Tay, especially those at, or those at the top of the cusp, that dream of reaching the finals. The more youthful the team, the greater hurry for mature stability from the likes of TP. He should have a good three years left for a valuable, competitive playoff team.

Dallas knows that a break-in period will take a beginning season (and if lost) for the likes of Marion/Stojakovic as slow motion starters. With slow starters, if the beginning is lost, then it is extended: Dallas need to start strong out of the gate. If the beginning is lost and then a partial exist, the 3 position will need someone like Tay to step up defensively with playoff experience. Miami won't make the same mistake twice; the addition of Tay will squeeze (offensively) a tighter middle. This helps Nowitzki and Terry. Unfortunately, Dallas has nothing to give the Pistons. Then again, maybe they can shove-off some more 2 guards to us. It is now beginning to be understandable that horse trading with Joe is how they, as opposing GMs, can light up his Keane eyes: dangle guards with those puppy and kitty potentials.

I say deal with the Clippers.