Suns/Spurs Series

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, May 6, 2007.

1. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Could you please explain that Roscoe?

I hear it all the time, I see that the Spurs or Pistons are just boring from most casual NBA fans. Why does everyone think that way?

Spurs play great D. Tim Duncan is a FANTASTIC LOWPOST/HIGHPOST player. He can run, he can defend, he can score, he can pass, he blocks shots, he is solid in most every aspect of the game. He's a bit weak at the FT line, but what player has ZERO weaknesses? I love how he is willing to be the man when his team needs it or when he can step back and let Parker or Manu or Finley be that guy if a matchup dictates it. He seems to step aside with NO EGO, why is there such a disdain for the best PF of all time? The guy is the ultimate pro and a clear HOFer. He isn't obnoxious and plays hard and hurt through almost everything. I just don't see a reason to call him boring. HELP ME UNDERSTAND !!!!
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'm also surprised that Roscoe appears to be on the "Duncan is boring" bandwagon. I thought we appreciated guys who "play the right way" around here. If Duncan is boring, then what's exciting? Watching Lebron get away with pushing off and travelling?
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Whoa! Slow down on "the best PF of all time". I think James Worthy and Kevin McHale are due some respect there.

Not to mention Tom Heinshon and Moses Malone (amongst others).

I can explain my disdain for Tim quite easily. He's a center in length, but has been able to play forward for most of his career, because of the dearth of quality 5s in this league. His height and length make him a mismatch for 80% of the PFs in the league.

And the notion that he is a money player is much overblown. Yes, the Spurs will go to him when they need a basket, but with shooters like Ginobili, Horry and Kerr, Tim rarely makes the shot that breaks another team's back.

Put it this way. Roscoe sounds like a bad boy. Mr. Big Shot implies danger. Big Shot Rob is the guy who is getting the ball. His Airness defies gravity.

The Big Fundamental implies a guy who has mastered the layup drill.

I'll be honest. I'm no casual fan, but I enjoy watching a game, not a battle of submission holds. The Spurs are very efficient, but so is wearing a clean pair of shorts. Sometimes, when I am indulging in sports fantasy, I want to go commando.

That is why I enjoyed the Warriors series so much. You didn't want to miss any of it, because every moment was filled with surprise. With the Spurs, you can skip a quarter and it will be the same thing you have seen 500 times before.

Just my 2 cents.
  4. roscoe36

In game drama. A player who smiles AND frowns. Not just a guy who is monotone in his appearance and delivery.

I respect what Tim can do on the court, but given the choice of watching almost anyone else play, I would rather not watch the Spurs. There is no excitement or thrill to their games for me.

It doesn't have to be as extreme as having a sneaker fetish and man-crush on LBJ.

Tim is substance. LBJ is style. I prefer both attributes. Iverson thrills me in ways that neither of those guys can. The same with Ben Wallace, Steve Nash, and Kobe.

This is sports entertainment. If I want to get hung up on the purity of the game, I would follow NCAA hoops.
  5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Tom Heinshon???.........:confused:
  6. roscoe36

Btw, all due respect to BSA who I like very much.

I'm just tired of liking the Spurs because it is the right thing to do, not what I want to do.

Besides, if we play these guys, I'm seriously going to be hoping they get a team epidemic of digestive problems from bad tamales. :D
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Personally, from an entertainment standpoint, I would like to see the Pistons vs. The Jazz in the finals.
  8. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant are the only players in today's NBA I could watch all day and night.

Some players have greater physical gifts, but none of them has the command of the game those two have, the technical mastery, the ability to find the proper angles on both ends of the floor, solve any defense, break apart an offense's continuity. Yes, Tim can't shoot free throws and Kobe's limited by his arrogance, but those flaws are a lot less unwatchable than a Shaq or LeBron's sheer laziness.

I can see how his lack of charisma can be less than exhilarating, but no emotional outburst from a player is as satisfying as the frustrated misery of an opponent who has not just been beaten but completely confused and humiliated.

Come on, 'scoe; somebody with the anecdote you have in your signature should be able to understand the value of playing smart. Cheap thrills are well and good, but sadism is pleasurable on a completely different level.
  9. roscoe36

I knew you would be along to put me in my place! :)

When it comes to competitive endeavours, I absolutely love sadism. How many people do you know who keep a copy of Sun Tzu's Art of War in their bathroom library?

But seriously, there is no fun for me in watching the Spurs. They are simply too good, too organized, too disciplined and too commanding in their execution to derive any pleasure from.

The Pistons on the other hand are a collection of wildcards. Will Tayshaun emerge? Will Billups jack up a lot of bad shots? Will Rasheed get ejected?

Now that is something I do not want to miss on TV. :thumb:
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I have to agree that Duncan is a player I just don't enjoy watching. And best PF of all time is a stretch.
  11. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Hey Roscoe, I don't take personally what is said about the Spurs:sssh: After all, I am on a Pistons Forum board, and have learned more about basketball, Pistons, and all other league teams, also about you guys and have totally enjoyed it. You cant imagine how bad I might feel, and come on the board and you guys really cheer me up, make me laugh.

I know Aurora said something about how boring Spurs are, like watching paint dry and the games should be entertaining, not just about WINNING! What??! It's ALL about winning. I have to admit unless you know the Spurs as a hometown team, they may seem very plain. After all, we have no rapist, 911 calls, family disturbance calls, and gun possession calls to draw attaction to "the un-exciting Spurs." But, that is what we are, we play to win. GSW had a great win, but I think that is as far as they will go in playoffs. This was a Nellie Avenging Angel to Mark Cuban win for GSW. Nellie doesnt have the hate in his heart to beat someone else, IMO.:stirthepot:

Spurs are going to have a tough series with the Suns. Every game will be just like today, and it's anyone's guess who will win. I want the Spurs to win so we can get on to play the Pistons. But, if the Suns win, I won't feel badly, because they will deserve it. I think Pistons will have a better chance with the Spurs than the Suns, because Pistons and Spurs play the same.

So Roscoe, I know all of you are great guys, so sock it to me with any Spur haters. I can handle it:)
  12. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

As I said earlier, I love the Spurs team (other than Bowen), it's hard not to like them. They pretty much play like how you would want them to.

I was watching SA-DEN (hate Denver too thx SA for knocking them off) game 5 and was so impressed with how "instinctive" the Spurs are with what they do. I saw Horry make quick hard give and go cuts to the rim for dunks. I saw Manu slicing through the lane. I watched the Spurs take care of every defense that was thrown at them.

All of us fans watch the games and find something to whine about or complain about, when you watch the Spurs, there just seems to be alot less to be unhappy with. They don't have too many knuckleheads to get down on. They are just a SMART AND EFFICIENT TEAM.

I would welcome a re-match with SA, if that isn't to be, I would pull very hard to see UTAH in the FINALS.
  13. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

While he continued to bleed profusely all over the court.

ESPN.com - NBA - Suns' woes include Nash gash

:hoops:
  14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

All, I know is, it's one more blow against run and gun teams with DAL already going home and PHX surrendering home court no sooner than the start of the series.
  15. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd agree with you except for those pesky Warriors.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Barbosa played like a moron at the end. They looked like they probably would have pulled it out with Nash.
  17. roscoe36

Dallas isn't a run and gun team. GSW are.

Dallas is one of the better defensive teams in the league.

Just like the Pistons. Ask Benjamin Gordon.
  18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The Spurs are a team that gets more interesting as the stakes get higher and higher.
  19. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Coudlnt figure out why Steve Nash felt he had to get back into the game after his injury, why he couldnt let his team mates take care of business the last few seconds. Seems that he felt his team had lost their intensity. "I'm at a loss to explain why we think we can go out there and not outhustle them and outwork them and win games"

Yahoo Sports:NBA - San Antonio Spurs/Phoenix Suns Preview Tuesday May 8, 2007 - Yahoo! Sports

Nash is definitely MVP.
  20. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Nice article Barb, thanks. I'm surprised you wondered at Steve Nash' sense of urgency. They took the first three quarters of the game off. In the period of time he was trying to stop bleeding, there were some horrible possessions by Phoenix. Now granted Amare and Barbosa and Bell all were dealing with great interior defense, but talk about blown opportunities for layups and tip ins! I think Steve is right. I don't think Phoenix started playing this game until the fourth quarter.

I thought Phoenix's chances were very good coming into this series, but having seen that Game 1....I dunno. They made a lot of mistakes, missed alot of easyshots and their spacing seemed all messed up to me. I think alot of the credit goes to the suffocating defense the Spurs play, but based on their 4th quarter play overall I think it might be the "leading contender during the regular season" syndrome as well. I think that is what Steve was talking about in the article.

Your Spurs look like they're playing great. Pop is very smart in that article trying to act like it was just a few plays in the 4th. Yes and no. More no. San Antonio really executed well in their inimitable way and and I expect more of the same. The particular genius of Steve Nash to motivate his team will be the x factor. I bet he was really disappointed in them after this game but he keeps his hand right on the pulse of his teammates and he will do the adjusting to their mental states I think. I love to watch him play. He goes around to all his peeps on the court every chance he gets and encourages them, keeps their spirits up. I think he'll make a fine coach in the future.

No matter what, we're in for some great games.