Suns/Spurs Series

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, May 6, 2007.

1. 4cwebb

4cwebb First Round Draft Pick

Spurs defense is effectively kryptonite against the Suns offense. Suns shooting 26% to start Game 2, and after racing to an early 8 point lead, they are now down 5 at the end of the first quarter. Either way the Suns try to play, the Spurs seem to beat them. Duncan particularly seems to enjoy playing the Suns.

This may be the shortest of the semi-final series...I could see the Spurs sweeping this thing if they win Game 2. I'm not trying to sell the Pistons short --- I just presume the Bulls will play much better at home, and the Suns could potentially go down 0-2 after their two home games.

2. 4cwebb

Nash and Amare are 2 - 12 after the 1st quarter of Game 2. That's not going to get it done.

3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Well here we are at the end of the first quarter Game 2. Phoenix just looks off, which may mean, like the announcers keep saying, that the Spurs have their number. Spurs look in control and the Suns look off. The Spurs are only ahead by 6 points, but to me it looks like Phoenix has a big mountain to climb and they know it. I must be in some kind of alternate universe where the Spurs are faster and less clumsy than the Suns?

Considering this is a must win for them, I hope they can turn around whatever it is they need to turnaround. The more I watch this Spurs team, the less I want us to play them. Although it would be a heavyweight rematch, which would be a very entertaining storyline for the fans of both teams, I swear I couldn't handle it. I'm older than I was two years ago!!!

4. 4cwebb

Suns with a good stretch of play in the last half of the 2nd quarter gives them a 7 point lead at halftime (and a 30-point quarter).

5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Hey cwebb! Glad there is someone out there watching this Game 2 and checking in. Listen, I didn't watch much Spurs this year because...well I just don't like them although I respect their game if that makes any sense. But can you or anyone who knows explain why "Spurs defense is effectively kryptonite against the Suns offense." I mean why can't Amare and Marion get going against this team? Both are strong and fast aren't they? The Spurs aren't stronger and faster athletically speaking are they? Is it really true that whoever is guarding Amare and Marion is better at locking them up than they are at getting free to make a good shot? I watched Phoenix all year and half their team in invisible out there right now. Sigh. It's the Stevie and Kurt Thomas show out there. AARGH.

6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Not stronger or faster, but taller, longer, and more experienced. The Spurs are probably the best defensive TEAM in the NBA. They play amazing man to man D, rotate quickly to help, gobble up rebounds, and keep their turnovers very low.

7. 4cwebb

Agreed. I think the Spurs are also very good at selecting which players they are willing to let beat them. I recall in the series two years ago Amare averaged about 37 ppg, but his team still lost the series in either 5 or 6 games. The Spurs were willing to let him have his way one-on-one inside in exchange for not giving up open three point looks off of Nash's penetration, and it worked.

I actually haven't been able to watch either of the first two games of this series (I was listening to the radio broadcast of Game 2). It just seems like the Spurs know how to play Nash physically without getting called for too many fouls. And they also have the Big Fundamental to challenge PHX's post players on both sides of the ball.

Suns with a good win tonight, though. Pressure is still on them to steal a game back in San Antonio, but I'm sure they are happy to at least get a win under their belts at this point.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nash was really picking them apart. Looking like an MVP... even showing some defense by taking charges to get Duncan in foul trouble.

In the last 8 minutes of the first half, he had 7 points, 6 assists, and took 2 charges.

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

This looks like it may be a great series!

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice blog post on playing Kurt Thomas over Boris Diaw @ truehoop

Link: ESPN.com: TrueHoop

11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Stoudemire calls Bowen, Ginobili `dirty' players - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

:hoops:

12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

13. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I wouldn't want my daughter to go dancing with Bowen.

:hoops:

14. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm watching Game 3 right now and I am finding myself cheering for the Suns. I think the Pistons can beat PHX in a 7-gamer. Not sure about the Spurs. I'd be very surprised if PHX wins this series.

15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

If Lincoln was the Great Emancipator, Tony Parker is the Great Penetrator.

No sexual innuendo comments please. :pound:

16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

gazoo, if that's true, then what does that make Eva Lo...whoops, sorry. :sssh:

17. roscoe36

Mike D'Antoni just lost it on the podium. Crumpled up his stats sheet and stormed away from the presser.

He was hinting at it, but finally a reporter asked if he thought it was a physical series, and he replied, "Yeah, half. Their half. Now we have to take care of business."

18. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

What is it with D`Antoni and Skiles?

They are two sorry losers aren`t they??

Looks like in a few days they both can just take their ball and go home!!!

:pound: :pound: :pound:

19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Not a desperate housewife. That's for sure.

20. roscoe36

Nash was really depressing on the podium. Even took a veiled cheapshot @ Amare.

This Suns team is unravelling.