Suns/Spurs Series

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, May 6, 2007.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I didn't see it--what did Nash say about Amare?

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I can't remember it verbatim. You'll have to check the papers tomorrow.

3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Basically he said, Just play the game and stop whining like a little B.....

Seriously

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I didn't watch the post-game presser, but from what i saw in the game Nash really isn't one to talk b/c he didn't play well at all.

I'm probably in the minority, but i was just amazed at what Tim Duncan gets away it. Once he got that 3rd (or 4th?), it would have taken him physically breaking someone's leg to pick up another one; yet Amare picks his 4th up on an Oberto (bad call) flop.

That being said Amare is a whiner, but Duncan is just as whiny. I don't know if officiating is just bad or what b/c it seemed like every call went SA's way.

It seems like the refs really are easily swayed by the fans, or just really stupid.

5. Dlev59

You always hear in a basketball game that one team must take the other team away from their strengths and make them play their opponents style of basketball.

Advantage San Antonio.

D`Antoni said in the post game interview last night, "since everyone wants it to to be tough, then that`s what everybody is going to get" Huh??

I would like the definition of tough from him. Does he mean jacking up 3`s tough?? Having a scowl on your face as his team runs an awesome fast break tough?

Maybe having another player or two that starts bleeding so bad that the blood can`t be stopped tough?

Lets face it, tough is not a term that applies to this Suns team in the way that D`Antoni is implying. The Suns play decent defense, at times, however if they go into game 4 trying to give everyone what they want and play tough, this series will last 5 games.

I wish this was Detroit doing to Phoenix what SA is doing. I knew someone would apply that defensive pressure on that high powered offense to make them say uncle.

6. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hope they killed each other but somehow still manage to win the WCF. :stirthepot:

7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

NBA.com lists this as what Nash said about Amare after the game--is this what you guys were talking about?

8. roscoe36

Yeah. The "but there are no guarantees", you had to see him say it, heck how he answered the entire question.

It was like he was caught between running away or exploding. For a normally smooth interviewee, he was totally disjointed.

9. Dlev59

No.

If I recall correctly, he was talking about how the playoffs are physical and you have to man up and just play.

I`m assuming Nash was refering to Amare`s comments about Bowen and Ginobili being dirty players.

I am paraphrasing of course. Is that what you remember Roscoe?

10. roscoe36

My mind is tainted now because the guys on ABC just showed me the Bruce Bowen knee on knee hit on Nash, and they are talking about Bowen being on watch, and possible league punishment.

I dunno. Nash was a mess last night after the coach lost it.

I'm all for physical basketball, but Bowen is flat out dangerous.

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Too bad it isn't hockey where somebody could just retaliate and beat the living s*** outta him. :granade:

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't look intentional to me.

The Suns are letting the Spurs get in their kitchen, which is what SA was looking to do. This is why the Spurs are not the team that we want to face.

13. roscoe36

14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I only saw the last 2 or 3 minutes of this game, and I don't think I saw San Antonio score a single point! Quite a comeback by the Suns, and a pretty bad choke by the Spurs. The Horry flagrant on Nash was some nasty thuggery, he might get suspended for that...it was a flagrant 2, so maybe the suspension is automatic.

15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Amare might get suspended for Game 5 as well. He was pretty much on the court from off the bench during that brouhaha, before Iavaroni managed to push him back.

16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I've watched the Spurs alot this year, and i've seen them choke/almost choke alot of games away (including those 2 against us). I assumed they were over it when they started playing better. I don't if this can be classified as a choke, or the Suns deciding to small and that being the difference. Great game nonetheless.

I hope Amare isn't suspended. It will completely f'up the series. I like our chances if we get to the finals against the Suns better.

17. Dlev59

I keep hearing, oh Amare shouldn`t be suspended, it wouldn`t be fair, it would give SA the series. You know what, a rule is a rule!

Kenny Smith made a good point on TNT last night. He siad if you don`t enforce the rule in this situation, how can you enforce it on someone else?

Sorta like, how can you let Lebron take 5 steps going to the hoop but call traveling on someone who takes 4 steps.

Oops, bad example.......Lol

18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

The league created last night because they didn't make a statement sooner, why start now?
    Heres the way I look at it:

1) If they don't suspend Robert Horry...the Spurs got away with yet another cheap shot. One more cheap shot will probably result in "the brawl" pt deux.

2) If they suspend Amare, then the Spurs pretty much got away with a cheap shot and game 5. You can bet that another cheap shot during the probable blowout will result in "the brawl" part deux.

IMO, the league needs to put things into the context of the series as a whole, and realize that the only just thing to do is to suspend "cheap shot" Bob.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What is the rule exactly?

Players get off the bench all the time and even step onto the court when there is a great play.

Is it that they can't get up when there is a fight? What is the definition of a fight?

What happens if they get off the bench for a great play (like Flip Murray's dunk on Hinrich) and then it evolves into a fight?

Edit:
    So, here is the rule-
    "c. During an altercation, all players not participating in the game must remain in the immediate vicinity of their bench. Violators will be suspended, without pay, for a minimum of one game and fined up to $35,000. The suspensions will commence prior to the start of their next game. A team must have a minimum of eight players dressed and ready to play in every game. If five or more players leave the bench, the players will serve their suspensions alphabetically, according to the first letters of their last name. If seven bench players are suspended (assuming no participants are included), four of them would be suspended for the first game following the altercation. The remaining three would be suspended for the second game following the altercation."

So I guess the question is, how do they define "altercation."

20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I like a JMax vs. Bowen matchup.