Suns/Spurs Series

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, May 6, 2007.

1. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

The thing that gets me about this whole series is it looks like the Spurs are getting this label as "cheaters/dirty", why? Because they have ONE PLAYER that is truly dirty? We all know that Bowen is a low-life scum. But the way that PXH and their coach and players are whining and crying about it is twice as sickening. D'Antoni has NEVER COACHED DEFENSE. "7 Seconds or less", does that sound like a great way to play offense in a manner that will allow your defense to setup and prepare for each possession? PHX and their staff are trying to use this "dirty" angle take focus away from the fact that they can't compete DEFENSIVELY with the Spurs. They are looking for an angle and crying for any advantage they can get to take away from their teams' shortcomings.

Amare is crying over his suspension by saying it's the Spurs fault. Hey dumbarse, why not STAY ON THE BENCH???? Amare is coming off as an IMMATURE WHINER. Did he deserve to be suspended? He11 yes he did. He left the vicinity of the bench during an altercation, the words are in BLACK AND WHITE. It's ABSOLUTE. HE BROKE THE RULES ALONG WITH DIAW. Why all the crying over it?

What Horry did was a hard foul, a foul out of frustration and worth a 1 game suspension (not sure about 2 games, but the league wanted to somewhat appease the overall whininess of the PHX area).

I think PHX has gotten "top-billing" from the LEAGUE and their offices in trying to "lure" fans into thinking that the PHX style is "how to play the right way". They are always calling PHX "exciting, high-flying action, entertaining", they want to tell us what to think about PHX instead of letting the fans decide for themselves. I know there are quite a few fans of PHX and their style (I'm not one of them). I believe there are many more "casual fans" of this style than HARD-CORE FANS. I think this style is all part of Stern's "new NBA" where no one can touch anyone and the license to play Defense has been revoked. Do I want that? Do Pistons' fans want that? I hope not.

Anyways, watching PHX go down in flames and watching their FRAUDULENT STYLE GO DOWN IN FLAMES will be among one of the most satisfying moments in these playoffs for me if SA can hold on and take down the FRAUDS FROM PHOENIX.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tough game to watch last night. I caught most of the second half.

Now that I am looking for it, the Spurs are heinously dirty and the announcers completely overlook it.

I'm only apalled because I don't think my team could get away with that, but honestly, it's probably still very tame compared to what the Bad Boys did.

Of course back then you could get revenge.
  3. roscoe36

Phoenix ALMOST Did It

Too bad Leandro had such a lousy game. He really needs to develop his bball IQ, because all of the physical tools are there.
  4. Jackattaq

That's how I feel about PHX, just how many flops is too much. The SUNS flop so much that other announcers and fans actually believe it's a legit form of defense. Their fans have been convinced as well.

BTW: We've never seen PHX do anything like the Spurs have we? Never seen Raja Bell make a "dirty" play.???? Not even once ????

To me "flopping" is just as bad or worse than hard fouls because it's killing the integrity of the game. You aren't good enough to compete so you FLOP. What a lame tactic. Spurs have Manu flop, but nobody beat PHX or CLEVELAND at it.
  5. roscoe36

Dude, I saw Steve Nash drive baseline at the end of the game, and Bruce Bowen threw a punch at his ribs, but crossed up his arm and the ref totally missed it. Of course, Bruce threw it with Nash's body shielding the ref's vision.

There is a certain amount of ticky-tackness in the playoffs, compounded by the no fighting rules (no one would screw with Nash if Pat Burke could retaliate), but throwing elbows, and constant tripping, sneaky punches, and constantly grabbing just ruins the fan experience.

The Suns have nothing on the Spurs for being dirty, floppers or whiners.
  6. Jackattaq

I bet you also believe and call that a "kick" over the now infamous "amare dunk" too don't you?

PHX fans are trying so hard to find something to blame for their losses and shortcoming that they will try anything or any reason. Grasping at straws.

PHX is not as good as SA. PERIOD.

PHX doesn't attempt to play defense. PERIOD.

PHX doesn't have the DISCIPLINE to play efficiently in the halfcourt. PERIOD.

PHX can't beat SA if they allow all the players to play BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL. PERIOD.

PHX is losing because of all of the reasons above. PERIOD.
  7. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Why do you end every sentence with 2 or 3 periods?
  8. roscoe36

Bill Simmons thinks so. He's a Celtics fan.

If they didn't get screwed on the suspensions, they would probably be up 3-2 in this series.

That's your opinion. When healthy, I think PHX is much more talented.

The stats do not bear this out. They were 14th in pace defense (middle of the road) during the season.

Did you watch Nash last night? The guy is a wizard running the P&R.

I don't get this.

PHX is losing because San Antonio takes advantage of the rules, and they lost both of their rotation PF/C's to suspension in the last game.

Didn't you hate Ginobili's flopping and Bowen's dirty tactics?

Change of religion?
  9. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think the whole cheap shot Bob incident, COMMA was handled poorly. If this was hockey nobody would think a thing of it, COMMA in fact it was much less serious than some of the other things going on in the NBA; SEMICOLON taking someone's legs out when they are going to the basket is a career thretening move. That deserves a suspension. You get Amare suspended for taking a couple of steps on the court...that's absurd.
  10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Stinkin Insiders...it's not worth my money to subscribe whereas this is the only time there's every been anything there that I felt NEEDED to be seen/heard.
  11. Jackattaq

Of course I hate that kind of crap. Bruce Bowen is one of my top 5 most hated in the NBA. I don't like the dirty antics, but for as much as I hate that, I also hate FLOPPING. Manu flops as well, but can't do justice to the PHX team. They teach flopping and try to pawn it off as defense. When you watch PHX, how many times do you see Nash trying to slide in to take charges or "flop" to draw offensive fouls?

Do you know how many times Nash slides in UNDER a player on a pick and roll and gets those calls despite NOT BEING SET? Sliding under a player before he can CATCH AND TURN to make a move is just as dangerous as getting a forearm shiver (which you see coming). A player catching the ball on the pick and roll and then NOT GETTING SPACE TO TURN AND LAND is dangerous as hell. Do you see Nash getting a dirty lablel? I've seen him do it alot.

Nash isn't good enough defensively so he has to "cheat" by using flopping and his status (MVP winner) to get calls that most others wouldn't get. If Nash does have the courage to step in front of an offensive player, then it seems like he gets the benefit of the doubt from nearly every official. RARELY, do I ever see NASH in foul trouble or FOULED OUT. Is that because he doesn't reach in? He doesn't fight through screens? He doesn't do anything that would get his hand caught in the cookie jar?

Don't get me started on Raja Bell. He's right up there with Bowen in dirty antics. Amare and Marion REPEATEDLY go over the back on rebounds. They go THROUGH guys to get to the ball. It rarely gets called. There is a double standard. PHX is used to getting away with alot of the EXTRAS during the season, not that it's the playoffs and they aren't getting those calls, I've never heard such whining.
  12. Pwn Toney

The one time I will EVER agree with Jack. The Suns players brought this on themselves. If Jalen Rose had ran his arse on the court and gotten suspended, no one would have cared. But, now Amare does it, and we need to have leniency? How so?

The league has been consistent on this from day one of the rule being instated. My biggest gripe with Bilbo Stern and his officials is that they don't call the game consistently. In this instance they have been consistent and I would be hypocritical to suggest they should not follow the rule this time. The "Duncan issue" is not valid because it was not an "altercation" AND Duncan did not leave the "immediate vicinity of the bench."

The rule doesn't say you can't step onto the court. It says you can't leave the immediate vicinity of the bench and that is exactly what Amare and Boris did. Duncan did not run a 1/4 of the distance Amare did (with the intent to jump in, mind you). Those two were not running over there to be peacemakers, they were running in to take up for Nash which exactly fits the intention of the rule.

I hate Bowen, I dislike (but respect) the Spurs. However, if Amare had remembered to keep his dumb ass on the bench, Horry would have still gotten bounced for two games and the Spurs would have had to play with out one of their vets and a very dangerous shooter. This is why I can't stand teams like PHX. They want the rules to apply until it bites them, then they want to come up with exceptions.

This rule has been in place for A DECADE. It has been followed consistently since its inception. For this team (owner included) to act like this was just sprung on them or cry like babies once their player breaks it is disingenuous and unfair to the rest of the teams who have paid the price for breaking this rule.
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

It was all a big mistake. Low. Amare was just going over to check into the game. He didn't want to get in on the fight.
  14. roscoe36

Since all circumstances are not equal, letter of the law interpretation is the refuge of cowards.

It takes wisdom to make a determination, an accounting for time, circumstance, results and the effect of consequences.

If a Piston ran on the court to see Billups after a hard foul by Nocioni, he would be a good teammate. Maybe he would breaking the rules, but I grew up believing that you have your boy's back. That's called team.

Amare and Boris did lose their heads, but not to go after Horry. To get to Nash who was laying on the sideline.

I'm sorry, but the NBA hid behind the rules that in many other instances, they are more than willing to interpret with a free hand (see Carmelo's 15 game suspension for what was a slap).
  15. Pwn Toney

:pound:
  16. Pwn Toney

I'm sorry..I got into a huge argument with a co-worker yesterday. On this particular rule, there has been NO deviation from day 1. Including the laughable time they showed on TNT when Barkley meandered on to the court. Even if you include the brawl in DET when I believe some pistons got a game for leaving the bench. If anything, I'm annoyed with any player who left the bench and didn't get involved, that way, he just earned himself a 1 game suspension knowingly for no reason at all.

If this was such huge issue with interpretation, then I think the players union and/or the league owners would have brought this up on more than one occasion when they do the rules review in the offseason. They made a big stink about the "no tolerance" tech rule, but in 10 years, nothing about this rule. They can't %%%%% about it when it suits them. They've had a full decade to see this rule in practice and no one has complained until everyone's "fun to watch" team gets bitten by it.
  17. roscoe36

My fun to watch team was the G-State Warriors.

I just cannot stand the Spurs at all these days. I'd love to see the knocked out. If PHX can't do it, I'm hoping for Utah. There is less night life in SLC than anywhere else, so the Pistons should be able to stay in at night if they make the Finals. ;)
  18. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think there is a decent chance this rule will get reviewed. On the one hand, I agree that it should be applied uniformly, but I hate to see it affect the outcome of a playoff series, especially since Horry started it. For all we know, the guy started isht on purpose. Trying to look at both sides of the argument and I think the rule should be reviewed. They'll probably come up with something totall cryptic like, "Player must move at least five feet from where he is sitting on the bench and have hands above the waist."
  19. Pwn Toney

Well, personally, we've looked like crap against Utah this season...I'd be a tad bit concerned. But, I don't see any way Utah makes it past SA.
  20. Jackattaq

Well if PHX had guys that obeyed the rule, then it would NOT be affecting this series.

A rule is a rule, PHX needs to deal with it. Instead of dealing they have tried to find a sympathetic ear with which to cry to. Their coach, their players and most of all their fans are all WHINING over an ABSOLUTE rule. It's cut and dry, hard and fast, and applies to everyone.