1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Super Bowl XLII: Patriots vs. Giants

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by bezeach, Jan 20, 2008.

1. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

The Patriots defeated the Chargers 21-12. The Giants defeated the Packers 23-20. Now it's the Patriots and Giants in Glendale for the Super Bowl.

2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I can't believe GB didn't try and ice the kicker on the winning kick!

Tynes had just missed to very makeable kicks that could have won the game in regulation and got chewed out on the sideline for it.

If ever there was a time to let a kicker over think things, it was then. What did they have to lose?

3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Peyton last season in the big game and now Eli.

Is the Giants' D up to the task? The teams met earlier with the Giants, arguably, giving New England their best game before succumbing 38-35.

I would love to see NYG win this one. I hate New England.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought a timeout was definitely coming, too. Not sure if it would have helped, but like you said, it's worth a try.

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, I don't know how much that stuff works, but with your season riding on the foot of a guy who's confidence probably isn't the highest it's ever been, why not take the chance? It's not like you get to carry over the timeout if you don't use it.

If it doesn't work, the game is over and you don't need the timeout.

If it does work, you get the ball back with great field position and plenty of time left.

At least they decided to take the ball in OT. Something us Lions fans can't take for granted....

6. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Icing the kicker might have helped. Talking about icing, do you guys remember a few years ago when the then NE kicker made two FGs, one at the end to tie and one in OT to win. Both were in terrible weather kicking from snow and ice, in high winds.

Interesting thing was that the kicker was from North Dakota. Probably though all kicks were supposed to be that way.

I do, however, wish that the pros played their OTs like the colleges do. Takes the element of luck down a few notches.

I really like NE but I will have to at least "out loud" root for NY, because of my recent proclivities for rooting for losing teams, time after time. OSU comes to mind as do the Tigers and Lions.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Looks like the NFL isn't rigged.

Were there any calls there were suspicious in the least? Seems like they got it right and it didn't help the team that was going to be their moneymaker$$.

8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I'm still not sold on the Patriots.

Have a nice day
    :hoops:

(:stirthepot:)

9. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like the Giants and have been following them a bit this season. I like their running game, it has evolved nicely the past half dozen weeks with Bradshaw coming on strongly. He is a great change of pace for Jacobs.

Manning had a great game, I think I only saw him panic and throw once early in the game. I reckon the Giants deserved to win the game, Favre had a poor second half.

Before Tynes kicked the game winner I thought he was going to make it. It was from a lot further out and maybe the pressure was off slightly because nobody really expected him to make it. Well done to the guy for redeeming himself.

New England deserves to win it for the season they've had, but I'll be rooting for the Giants. 3 road wins in a row in the Playoffs is quite a feat.

10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I hear Archie is thinking of coming out of retirement. The Lions are interested? LOL

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Pats...just so Miami will go away.
    Some one needs to slap the Gmen out of it, who do they think they are?
    A wicked Defense is what they are.

12. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

They'll need every bit of that wicked D, my friend, because I'm not sure Eli is ready for prime time. He did toss 4 TDs against Pats last time so Pats' D can be exposed.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Nothing fazzes those guys.
    I guess after the NY media is done with you, you're hardened.

14. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

It's an injustice that the Packers aren't going to the Super Bowl. Ole Brett just HAD to toss an interception in the OT. They won the coin toss, they shoulda won the game. (Unless Morningweg is your coach) Eli Manning is a weinie for not just playing for San Diego when they draftd him. I'd like to see the NY media toast him for a few more years before he wins the big one. I really wanted to root for the Packers, but I'll take the Patriots now in a close game. Look for a score of 35-31.
    Patriots...........

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

The Gmen beat the Favres 3 times in one game. I can't understand how the Pack could blow it like that. Except they got their butts beat. Where was that explosive running game with Grant ?

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Re: Super Bowl XLII: Patriots vs. Giants, why it should be close

...I think the propensity for a close game is 80/20%, than a blowout or the Pats winning by 8 or more. The line is about -12 for Pats right now.
    ...I think early momemtum will tell a lot about the Gmens chances. If Plax and Eli can hookup for about 50 yds in the 1st Q it will dictate how aggressive the Pats Dee can be. Even if Toomer is a no-show, the Gmen running game will kept Eli safe. I see the 2 Dees as equal. The special teams equal, including the kicker Tynes. But Brady is so much more tough tested. Coaching equal. (cause Coughlin don't cheat):sssh::cold:
    -
    ELI'S COMING...:yellowprison: SO YOU BETTER HIDE YOUR HEART...

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Re: Super Bowl XLII: Patriots vs. Giants, why it should be close

Caughlin will need to cheat if the G-Men want to win. When Vegas gives a 12 point line, they don't expect to lose money. That's a high line considering all the money that the NY business crowd will plunk down on their favorites.

18. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm putting my money on the Giants, because I'm still not convinced that the Pats are for real.

19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Anyone going to be sitting there watching the game with Buffalo Chicken Wings in their hands while Braccae tuae aperiuntur?

:cheerlie-GOAL::p_welldone:

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator