SUPERMAN LIVES!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Ozarkruffrider, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Come on admit it, that was the most entertaining slam dunk contest yet!

Dwight Howard just destroyed the competition. I loved Green's Birthday Cake dunk, though.

But there is nothing better than getting the glimpse and expectations go through the roof and having them fulfilled when the dunk happens.

:hoops::hoops::hoops:

2. max

max All-Star

Yes that was very entertaining. The players are becoming very creative. Dwight Howard and Gerald Green are setting the bar pretty high. I remember when the contest used to mainly be the type of dunks that you would see during a game.

3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Green's dunk without shoes was pretty darn good too.

Dunking in your bare feet is not easy. Dr. J. commented that he thought that most people have no idea how hard it is jumping off of a hardwood floor in your bare (stocks) feet. I don't think that the TNT guys did either or some of the other judges.

:hoops:

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Green could have won the contest in most years. Howard simply stole the show with his first dunk and never looked back.

5. buddahfan

I don't know about the Superman dunk, but I have no doubt that AJ could do that first dunk that Howard did, without a problem.

6. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Does is it still count as a dunk if his hand was more than one foot away from the rim? I mean yes he flew lilke superman but he did not dunk the ball. please correct my idea of dunking if i am wrong

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

As long as the ball was never traveling upward after it left his hand (and went through the hoop), then it was a dunk. He could have released it from 50 feet away as long as he threw it down.

8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Noone beats Vince. Ever.

He was not only the contest champion, but has the best dunks in a crowd during an actual game that I have ever seen. 360's in traffic ( traffic meaning a PACKED lane) were unheard of until Carter came along.

9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

10. max

max All-Star

Good point. On an athletic scale Green was just as good if not better considering his size. Howard was the more creative one and after his 1st dunk he kind of won the contest right there. It also hurt Green when he put that piece of tape way behind the free throw line because he actually ended up taking off from the same location as Howard did in his superman dunk.

In the end Howards creativity and showmanship took the prize. I thought it was the most entertaining sets of dunks that I have ever seen in that because you did not know what to expect.

11. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

They obviously have saved a dead game, this contest might be the best one in so many years.

12. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

13. Nemo

Now if you want to pick a winning dunk, Here it is..........
    In slow motion, you can see that he actually blew out the candle while dunking the ball. This is the true winner. My hero............

YouTube - Gerald Green Cup Cake Dunk

14. Nemo

Quote by Howard..........

"At first I thought he was going to take the cupcake, eat it and then dunk it," Howard said. "I thought he would have won with that."

Green shoulda won anyways..............

15. buddahfan

Actually in degree of difficulty I thought Howard's put back dunk where he rose up in the air threw it off the glass with one hand and then slamed it through with the other was the most difficult, even more than the cupcake dunk or the behind the glass dunk, which really did not impress me that much. I think doing a reverse jam off of a rebound in traffic like AJ and others have done is more difficult than that behind the glass dunk.

To do that put back dunk using alternating hands like he did not only requires great hops, the ability to stay in the air but also great hand eye coordination and timing. I thought it was the best dunk of the night, skill wise.

16. buddahfan

I would have liked to have seen Howard on that two basket dunk actually have put a second ball on that small basket to the right side of the glass. Then he could have gone to the rack dunked the one ball and then grab the other ball off of the small basket and dunk it behind the first ball. Now that would have been something to see.

17. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Howard you all have to admit, though, is the first big to pull off some outstanding and entertaining dunks. I remember Jerome Kersey years ago in the contest and because he was so big it was boring.

18. Nemo

You may be right, but I remember Laimbeer shaking and baking, then....:hoops:

19. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree Oz, Howard has a much harder job because of his height. He makes the amazing look average because he's so tall. His leaping ability and agility for a big man is what sets him apart.

That cupcake dunk by Green was sick, but he also did several dunks that have been done countless times before.

Howard's creativity with his dunks has been unequaled.

I has hoping for a bit more with that mini net though. I thought he was either going to dunk a ball in each net or put the mini net at 12'.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The nice thing is, Howard is a star, and he was in the competition.

For the second straight year.

And....

Thanks Cloud! I forgot how good VC has been. Got sour on him when he tanked in Toronto to force a trade.