1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Superstition and Winning

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jun 2, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Everyone has some superstitions or rituals when it comes to the diehard fans.

Natalie at Need4Sheed has taken her superstition about reversing her pre-game rituals to a new level. See, the Pistons were losing, so Natalie mixed it up and started doing things differently, or the opposite of the way she normally does.

This afternoon Natalie emailed me and now she's taken N4S to bizarro superstition world.

http://need4sheed.blogspot.com/

(refresh once it is loaded if you don't immediately see what has changed)

Here is her strategy for fan influence upon the Pistons playoff doldrums.

The Opposite can be Exhausting.

I meanwhile stopped rocking Blazen Hazen as my avatar after the Cleveland series, and have eaten the same pregame meal since the Pistons won Game 2. I've also found that if I stop watching and go to the radio in the second half, the Pistons rally but fold, so no George Blaha for me.

Got a superstition?

2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

my thing was to not watch the games or come into chat. But last game I was at chat with my TV on and the game going and we did great. But i still feel like if I doubt them, they will show...its a meter of overconfidence. I was like damn damn damn every elimination game except the SA game 7...I was like: pooor Spurs...they...doh!!

3. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

i'm gonna keep my RED font in the chat tonight. that seemed to go well last game.

4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

When Brother HQ enters: I'm going to say "its over now. HQ is here" how that help anything is anybody's guess.

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

:pound:awesome thread! Let's see...where to begin? well, there's the obvious: i have to knock wood whenever the announcers say something positive about the pistons, especially when the positive thing supposedly has some sort of predictive value (i.e. Chauncey Billups is not the guy you want to foul in this situation, he's shooting 90 % from the line). For the first six games of the playoffs, i was wearing my sheed jersey for the games, then at half timem of game 3 against the bulls, i switched to a regular pistons t shirt. That seemed to help. But my girlfriend also made popcorn at halftime so it might've been that. Then there's her pistons t shirt which she needs to be wearing, except that she was also wearing it in games4 and 5. Then, she's new to pistons fandom, and for a while i figured that her mere presence was making us win as the bulls seemed to go on a run whenever she'd be pulled away from the game or something. by the end of game 5, though, i was pretty much insane since i ran up against that wall where everything i was doing had caused both good and bad results for the team. so for game 6 i just cleaned the slate and started over, limiting by superstitious behavior to knocking wood.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We seriously need to get aurora to post her routine. It's fantastic.

8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'm not much for superstition. But against the Bulls, the Pistons started rallying from huge deficits in both Games 3 and 4 almost immediately after I bailed early from chat, so detteam was constantly trying to get me to leave during Game 5. Eventually I did, but unfortunately it didn't help at all. But after Game 6, I can stick around with a clear conscience. Though detteam will probably still try to get me to jump off the bandwagon if things start going south again. :laugh:

9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Wife cheers like crazy during the games. If I keep my focus off of her, the Pistons do better. Being in the chat worked for game 6 for me.......

10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Well I was traveling during game 6 and I missed almost all of the game.

Every game my ritual is to turn down the sound on the television while I chat with you guys on line.

If the Pistons game is close, or they are losing, if I am not chatting with you guys, I use my last channel button on the t.v. to look at a movie or some good show, turning back every 2-3 minutes until the pistons catch up or it is evident that the pistons will win the game.

I always take a shower during halftime then fix a cup of camomile and valerian root tea in order to relax.

I always wear a pistons t-shirt to bed, my favorite is my blue 2004 ECF T-shirt.