1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Take Matters Into Our Own Hands

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MainManJoeD, Jul 5, 2006.

1. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

It pretty clear that the way to win it all these days is to get the next big-time young talent out of the draft (ie Wade, LeBron, etc.). By all accounts, next year's draft is rich in talent (I have no idea who the players are). We need to maximize our chances of getting super-high picks next year. One way to do this, of course would be for the Pistons to tank the season (ala San Antonio, who pretended that DRobinson was hurt for a whole year in order to get Duncan (and 3 championships)), but I would rather watch a good team next year.

The other option is for us to organize a covert Fanatical Pistons Groupie Coalition and bring Orlando down next year. I don't think that we need any violence to accomplish this. We could just do small acts of annoyance that would set the team ablaze (ie reduce the SPF of Darko's sunscreen, tear a couple of pages out of Howard’s bible (relax, well give them back), pay the bartender to put a couple of extra shots in Redick’s LIIT, steal Nelson’s orthodics, etc.).

Of course, if the Pistons tank it, and we sabotage Orlando, we could pick up 2 players to form a foundation for a decade to come. I think we’ve got a real shot to make a difference here! Who’s in??

ps. Of course, Joe may go and draft Unko Dabunkalogo from the former Soviet Republic of Tajikistan, so my plan is not fool-proof.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Early candidate for post of the day. Great work. :thumb:

3. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

I'm with ya! The core of talent has to come from within. FA should be added to supplement, not build, unless you get a player who is young and one the verge of breaking out. The Wings were built this way and so were the Yankees. SA is winning on home grown talent too.

Winning stops when you rely too much on the check book rather than intelligent drafting and some luck. If we had a Wade, Bosh or Howard waiting in the wings, the loss of Ben wouldn't have been significant. Joe can't f'up the 2007 draft. Draft and develop the youngsters for long term success.

4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

When the trade was announced I thought the 2007 Orlando pick was restricted to slots 8th thru 13th. Anything higher than the 8th pick it reverts back to Orlando and we get the 2008 pick regardless what it is.

Anybody else hear this???????????

5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

perhaps the Braves would have been a better example. :)

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If its a 5th pick or higher the Pistons have to wait till the next season. If Orlando still gets a 5th pick or higher the season after the Pistons still have to wait. I forgot in how many years it wouldn't matter if Orlando got a 5th pick or higher they would be forced to give it to the Pistons.

7. anakin

The Yanks of the winning era had a bunch of core players: Jeter, Soriano, Posada, Williams, Rivera, Pettitte etc. My main point was that you can't buy players. The core has to be built up. Noitce how the Yanks have lost their winning ways as the core aged/moved away and the draft picks were either traded or poor choices. Same story with the Wings.

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Interesting. Its just that normally the Yankees are known for buying talent to stay competitive every year. The Braves have traditionally been synonomous with farm team development. But, your point is definitely well taken.

9. anakin

Your right the Yankees and Steinbrenner are known for throwing money at their problems and it ain't working. Their last WS in 2000. So much for having the highest roster in MLB.

I am hoping that the Pistons develop and keep their talent. We need JMax, Johnson, Balylock etc. to step and help out. I can stand the losing if I can see the light at the end of the tunnel i.e. excellent drafting and player development. The Darko pick continues to haunt Joe in so many ways, it isn't even funny.

Joe better start prepping for the '07 draft right now :laugh: Can't afford any mistakes.

10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If Arroyo keeps getting driven on like a highway Darko and Dwight will always be in foul trouble:nod:. I don't know how Orlando will do next year at all:ohwell:.

11. MainManJoeD

OK, so if we can't get Orlando's picks above 5, let's just encourage the Pistons to drop a few games (maybe 60-70 or so). But let's do the Orlando thing anyways, because it would be a lot of fun!

12. MainManJoeD

On a more serious note, who are the players coming out next year that everyone is so excited about? If this has been discussed before, please give me a link.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Amir Johnson, J Max, Will Blalock, Alex Acker, and Dos Los. I think all these guys will have a shot and I think a lot of them will help a lot. I think Tayshaun is going to be very good next season.

14. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I thought it was something like that. Not much value for Darko after all. They could make the playoffs next year and the pick be in the teens. That would blow!!!

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It simply amazes me how many people simply under-estimate Unko Dabunkalogo. Have you actually seen Unko in action???? The Pistons would be damn lucky to have Unko sporting the Piston teal. Sure, the kid is young, but from everything I've heard (my brother has this barber whose ex-girlfriend used to work for Dime Magazine and my cousin plays poker with a guy that washes the car of Tony Ronzone, the Pistons famous international scout), he can play some ball.

Back in the day, word has it that Unko could be found shooting hoops in his war-ravaged country seconds upon seconds at a time. In fact, it was not uncommon to find Unko working on his half-court set shot with bombs going off in the background. One time, when Unko was just 13 years old, Unko took over 27,000 shots in a single day. He didn't make many of those shots, but once he got warmed up and the blood in his body was flowing properly, he could sink most shots (especially in warmups) with ease.

Last year, in the Junior World Championships, Unko averaged 30 points, 20 rebounds and 10 blocks per game#. The hatred for these European players must stop. So, before you start ripping on Dumars for making what you call a questionable decision, give Unko his due respect.

#Averages based on 40-minute stats. Unko actually averaged 1.5 ppg, 1.0 rpg, and 0.5 bpg in 2.0 minutes of action.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@MMJD,

2007 Players

http://www.nbadraft.net/

@ Bus Driver ~ another great post. Uncle Bunkalogo is gunna blow up in the NBA.

17. linwood

linwood All-Star

Someone like that could sure take the sting out of losing Ben Wallace. Imagine how effective this team could be with a good midcourt shooter. Talk about spreading the D.

18. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

if we had just kept darko the winning would continue. joe didn't mess up the 2007 draft. he messed up by hiring 2 coaches that fell in love with the starting 6.

it's funny how the forum atmosphere has changed about youth. this should be called the bball jay, lee357 and 16andfarmington plus a few others were right thread. we've been calling for youth development all through the championship years. we thought the young guys would have to step in because of old age or injury. it ended up we need our young guys to step in because of betrayal.

19. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I was thinking more along the lines of the "Joe should have traded Ben earlier in the season before it came to this" thread...:frusty:

But your suggestion is fine as well :laugh:

20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nearly everyone wanted to see the youngsters/bench get more playing time. You and your posse went way overboard on this topic, though. You guys proclaimed people that barely played before (e.g., Darko, etc.) would become future Hall of Famers. Once they are enshrined in Springfield, we'll create a thread proclaiming how you "were right".