Tay - All grown up

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by kpaav, May 18, 2007.

1. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Just a few observations about our favorite small forward. Did anybody else notice his poise and aggresiveness at the end of that game. Not only did he demand the rock, but produced almost eveyrtime. This is the aggresive Tay I have been waiting for. I know he shows glimpses, but this looked like he finally realized he needs to stop playing sidekick and take this team by the horns -- especially since everyone else is so lacksadasical.

Also, the best thing I saw was his reaction to Sheed and his antics. Tay was in his face trying to get him to chill and play ball. I think this was the first time I have seen a player so directly cool Sheed down. The question is, is the Pistons now going to be Tays team as a few people have wanted and predicted?

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I truly hope so. Last night, I picked Tay as my player in the forum pool, and then during the radio pregame I heard Matt Dery calling for him to step up and produce.

I had a really good feeling (and some statistics about Tay's play on the road in the playoffs).

But it was a real thrill to hear him on the postgame podium the last two matches answering for a loss and a win with a lot of poise.

He didn't just get on Sheed. He got on Dice too.

I have absolutely no problem with Tay making the Pistons "his team". He's delivered as often and importantly as Billups has in the last 5 years. Chauncey makes the shots, but Tayshaun stopped T-Mac, almost single handedly beat the Sixers, blocked Reggie Miller, shut down Kobe and carried us against Miami last year. He's really becoming a big time player.

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I agree, these are some welcome news. This team is in dire need of a leader who will push the rest of the guys to perform. Maybe this is a difference between a championship contender and just another good team. Maybe this is something that pushes them over the top. Chauncey, who is considered to be a team leader, has never been vocal on the court. Hopefully Tay can provide this leadership. The guy has been maturing ever since that playoff run when he was inserted into the lineup.

4. roscoe36

The refreshing thing last night is that he is talking the talk, and walking the walk.

I think that's something Hamilton and Billups do not do consistently.

5. mikhail1973

Roscoe, this has only happened for Tay in the last few games. I am just hoping, for this team's sake, that it is here to stay. Otherwise it is just going to be one nice moment of the playoffs.

6. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Can you be my sunshine on a cloudy day instead of my in-laws visiting in the month of May?

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

He can't be the leader unless the others are willing to follow. This team seem to be "lead by committee" to me...................

8. mikhail1973

Man, what's wrong with in-laws visit? I go for lunch to my in-laws at least a couple of times a week.
    This actually may be a topic of discussion.

9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Sometimes in-laws can be more like "Outlaws"

10. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

It's like a wide open PJ Brown jumper for me, it spells trouble.

End of topic.

(They only visit on these holy long weekends Memorial Day, 4th of July, etc and then I'm stuck in :yellowprison:)

11. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

PISTONS playoff MVP after 2 series.

Can we change this thread to who's Pistons MVP in the playoffs so far?

12. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Big praise for Tay on truehoop today:

13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The going cliche is that the Bulls lack only a low post scorer. Truth is, they also lack a Tayshaun Prince. Deng will never be as versatile as Tay was last night--bringing the ball up, breaking the press, running the offense, rebounding and defending. He truly owned that game from mid-third to mid-fourth, holding it in the palm of his hand.

14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Good find Lurker. We sure have learned a lot about Tay overnight.

15. roscoe36

Well, he is from the University of Kentucky although I am sure his parents deserve some credit. :)

16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Did somebody say...Kentucky? :whoo:

Of course we have to remember that some other, um, not-so-cerebral players have also emerged from UK, including...

[​IMG]
    :doh: :laugh:

17. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

You know what's really funny is the fact that a lot of us in here, i'm not going to name names were in favor of replacing Tay with Delf in the starting lineup. Those of you out there know who you are and should be ashamed of yourself. Tay has clearly been the guy night in and night out who has played hard and achieved at his talent level. Tay, at times I have been your lone supporter and I'm really glad that you have proven me right. Delfino in the starting line-up, comical.

:pound:

18. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

For two series now the guys on NBA TV have been talking Tay up as a definite All Star for 2008.

19. roscoe36

Perhaps it is premature to say this on my part, given that the playoffs are only half done, but I think we (as a species) have developed a convention of expectations that can be unrealistic and inflexible.

When something new comes along, whether it is a 7' jump shooting European or a scrawny freckle faced small forward, if we can't classify or identify with it instantly, latent rejection occurs.

Now of course you have your fringe loonies (I'm trying to be cute not insulting) who latch onto the bizarre, novel and unknown but the majority generally does not.

I think there is a lesson to be learned from watching this Pistons team, and that is one of patience. Even if we don't win this year, there has been a lot of growth and maturation. And it doesn't stop, nor has it plateaued. Rip can be better, Billups can be better, Amir has probably only given us a taste, and Tayshaun might not hit his prime until he is 30, which is a good three years away.

Patience and open mindedness. Two character traits that have to be developed in ourselves in order to see the growth in others.

20. roscoe36

He keeps his nose clean, he's well presented and very intelligent.

He'll probably never get voted in by the fans, but the coaches must reward a model player if there is any justice.

I would be happy if he was the only Piston to make it.