1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Tay vs. Amir

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

So we got some idle time to conjecture about the Pistons future. The general vibe I'm getting is that Tay is a star in the making. He is already the all around team player and arguably the most valuable piece of the puzzle because if his flexibility. Some people are expecting the next level of stardom/ team leadership.

We also have AJ. For the sake of arguement, lets say he's starting to bust out. Maybe next year....or possibly the year after. He's making Joe look like a genius.

Would it be possible to find floor time for both? Can Tay play another position half the time.... can Amir?

How would it all work out?

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yes Amir is being groomed as a SF... however his natural position is PF.
    He has two things to overcome... lack of handles and perimiter shooting, before the backup SF minutes are his.

What I find interesting is that nobody from management or media talks about our 1st round pick (Jmax)... they talk about Amir as a rising star... wasn't Amir drafted close to 30 spots later?

I guess the plan is to phase Amir in until Dice's contract runs out... then he can play both positions.

I would not be surprised to see Jmax as part of a trade package (unless we trade one of the bigs)

3. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

If Amir starts looking like he's going to bust out, he's as good as gone from Detroit. We don't have him locked up. And you can bet someone will offer him more money and more PT than the Pistons. Just the way it is when your top six spots are carved in stone.

If Joe really thinks Amir can contribute to a championship, then he needs to sign him to a multiyear deal this summer. Otherwise, his departure is a foregone conclusion.

Then, even if he does get a multiyear deal, he's got to beat somebody out of a spot in the rotation. He's got to do something that "our other young big man" was never able to do.

4. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Wait, really? I thought JMax was supposed to be our draft pick in the model of Big Ben. A Pistons DNA type of guy. What happened? Just no playing time, or a disappointment? How can we just write these guys off when they never get to play and are so young?:confused:

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

JMax has to figure out how to rebound the ball before he is going to get more than spot minutes. Rebounders can always play.

How about Tay at the point? Opens up minutes at SF.

6. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I'm not going to bite on this until Delfino proves he isn't good enough to at least get some time at the 3, and Amir proves he's got the skills to hang with smaller, quicker 3's.

Honestly, I think it'd be great if he was behind Dyess in the big rotation, at atually played.

But that still leaves Maxiell as the odd man out:doh: .

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Merc, at 6'10" Amir needs to take it to the hole. Ala SMarion.
    JMax at center? Tall guys will just shoot over him. Size matters when you get to the 3 round.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Amir signed a two year deal.... with the new CBA we can match any offer as long as we don't use the MLE next year.

9. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Could an extention be in our plans for this summer.

10. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

If Amir looks like he's going to break out, you dump Tayshaun while his value is high, and hopefully get a good piece in return.

Tayshaun is not going to take "the next step".

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I can understand the Wllaces and Chauncey because they're getting into their 30's but don't dump Tay. No way. He was our best player this postseason even though 4 of the others were all stars. He's not even in his prime yet.

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Agreed that Tay will not be a star. It's not his personality, and frankly he hasn't diversified his offensive game enough. (Has he added a pullup jumper? Nope. A right hand? Nope.) But winning teams need guys who can do what he does, and his price isn't that bad.

I'm not sure what "versus" means here. The Dumars model emphasizes length and versatility, so there's no reason why a ballhandling 3/2 and a rebounding 3/4 couldn't thrive together or in different rotations. Add Sheed for defense against post bruisers, and you could do a lot of things inside and out with that frontcourt.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I do not agree with this. The kid is signed long term to an affordable deal as the cap and the average salaries escalate. The entire issue with this team is developing (and keeping) young talent.

You were consistently wrong throughout the playoffs. I hope you continue to bat 1.000. If his work ethic or effort were in question, then I would buy it, but when you count out a guy who tries hard, you're setting yourself up to look foolish.

He has added a two dribble pull up jumper. It's not pretty but he can hit it with some consistency. His price is damn fine.

The classic "Pick One". I'm with you in that there is room for a team full of talent. At least the coach has options and the players know that their minutes or starting position are not a given.

14. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

20%? 25%? 30? 35? Can he get it off with that "consistency" against people taller than 6-3?
    Sounds like the Dallas Mavericks. The Dallas Mavericks have a $100 million payroll.

15. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

You know, when I was watching the Pistons in the playoffs this year, the first thing I was thinking is that it's definitely time to dump Tay. If he won't take that "next step" then what is he doing wasting a space on the roster?

Maybe this guy is still available. (No, not MJ, he's washed up.)

[​IMG]

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Their salary next year is $74 million with $17 million due to the Michael Finley amnesty buyout. The only major free agent will be Jason Terry. Dampier, Dirk, Howard, Harris, Daniels, and Diop are all locked up for the next two seasons.

17. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Chokehouse is a better player than Prince, but no, he's not available. Sorry.

Prince is a role player who scores on the block when other players create mismatches for him, can finish in transition, has an unreliable jumpshot, is a terrible rebounder, and is an unexceptional passer and defender. But he scores 16 PPG on less than 46% shooting in the playoffs and he's the second coming of Kareem? I'm not buying it. He's overrated now and he has limited potential for improvement. Have your fun, but if you read the post you'll note that "dumping Tayshaun" was conditional on Amir Johnson "breaking out", i.e. displaying star level ability on a regular basis, something that has obviously not happened in these playoffs.
    Which is still, even without Terry re-signed and major rotation player KVH being cut loose, $20 million more than Davidson would be willing to spend. The Finley point is a fair one, but is offset at least partially by Howard being on a rookie contract.

18. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

People always start to predict break outs to soon- AJ is still going to need some time (especially playing time) which he won't get in Detroit's senior club. I hope he won't be no 2nd Okur to show some flashes and leave.
    Still makes me sad that this team fails to add pieces to their core while the Mavs, Heat and Spurs can.

19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

WTF. Now everyone wants Tay out? Get a grip. This guy played great for us regular season and playoffs. Whats the next step? Being a ballhog. He stays on the court 45 minutes every game and gaurds the opponents best offensive perimeter threat. he can't do everything on offense and why should he? This team is better when the ball is moved and isos are not called for Tay, Rip, and CB.

20. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

The dude guarding MJ is Michael Curry, Tay's predecessor at the 3.