Tay vs. Amir

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Jun 13, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Great post Jack. Since he was the only Piston who did good in the playoffs he should have more plays called for him. When he gets really involved on offense we flourish. I think we were undefeated this season when Tay scored more than 20.
  2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

do you guys think he's gonna gain some weight this off- season? I heard he wanted to already last year but then married and had some other things to do. Maybe Ben can take him to the weight room a lil' bit, just imagine how effective his post play could be if he'd add about 10 or more pounds more (as long as it doesn't affect his speed) :eyebrows:
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Rip got a 3 point shot last year. If Tay bulked up he could take a lot of people inside.
  4. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I may be in the minority but I really don't want Tay to gain weight. So far, Tay hasn't had issues with durability. He hasn't had as much problems guarding big people recently as he did in the past (remember his defense on Artest in 2004 when everyone thought Artest would snap Tay in half?). Tay uses his length and quickness to be an effective postup player. An extra 10 lbs isn't gonna allow him to "shove back" and hold his position any better than playing at his current weight. Tay never really establishes low post position. He often gets the ball from the 3 pt line and uses the dribble and spin moves to get into the paint. He isn't the classic back to the basket player. He uses that length and quickness and an uncanny ability to spin off defenders to get great looks inside. Tay doesn't overpower players, he uses the those long arms and good footwork to either shoot over them or go around them.

I don't think there is anything wrong with Tay's game other than Flip's inability to make him a more "featured piece" to the puzzle. IMO Tay could lead the Pistons in scoring everynight if they made it a point to get him involved correctly. Hanging out at the 3pt line 80% of the season, wasn't the best way to use Tay. Flip must get better.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Like I posted before we barley lose when Tay is involved on both sides. Flip has to be forced to use Tay more because he was the only one who showed up forthese playoffs.

As for Tay getting more muscle I think he should. maybe a guy like Rip shouldn't, but a musclier Tay would give us much needed help on the boards.
  6. Jackattaq

Tay is asked by the coach to be a PERIMETER PLAYER, just from watching games this season, we saw Tay just stand at the 3 pt line while Billups and Sheed ran the 2 man game. Tay actually rebounds the ball very well when he is in the paint. I don't think it's a matter of him needing more bulk. I think it's more about Tay being in the paint when shots go up (either his own shots or a teammates shots), that is on the coaching.

Tay is good enough to be an ALL-STAR, he just isn't a featured player on this team. He really showed that HE CAN BE THE MAN when the team needs him to be. Look at the way that he was the ONLY PISTON really keeping the Pistons in the CLEVELAND series.

Tay is fine, he is just under-utilized.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I would agree that he is underutilized, but thats more a product of an inflexible offense. During the season, his jumper had to be working to have a decent scoring game. In the playoffs, once the Pistons took advantage of his mismatches, he was able to show some diversity in his attack.

The problem is that the Pistons went to that out of desperation. Getting Tayshaun going inside early is not a priority in this offense, maybe even less so than getting Rasheed going inside in this offense, or Ben going inside in this offense (see where I am going with this...???)
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

When Tay is doing good the team is doing good. Why? Because when Tay is scoring it usually means the team is moving the ball. We need to get back to that, and we need guys cutting into the paint. When this team moves the ball and gets to the rim they are very hard to beat. This team needs to get back to what they're good at.
  9. Jackattaq

I know that very few of us have seen much of Amir, but I can tell you from what I've seen, if that kid has any kind of hands he will get a ton of easy layup/dunks. He moves well and is quick without the ball. He seemed to like to dive to the rim alot and if he is ready and able to catch passes, he will get to the line or rim alot. I really felt that Delfino did a good job of cutting as well. I think Rip is still the best at it (and one of the best FT shooters on the team) and we need to get "that guy" who can be our low-post threat who can draw the double team down low to get the necessary lanes for cutters.
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you have that just right. He is a good rebounder when given the opportunity to get in there and mix it up. I see one of the main things the team needs is more rebounding from the 1-3 slots. I particularly like Tay taking the defensive board and pushing the ball upcourt himself.

Wait.... yes....

GOAL FOR GHANA!! GO GHANA!!
  11. Jackattaq

I love seeing our SF's being able to do this as well, it adds to the versatility of our team. That is one of the reasons I am such a big advocate for Carlos Delfino gettting more minutes. He can rebound with the big boys and come out of traffic with the dribble and push the ball and find guys on the wings. Something that Mo Evans (who lacks the ability to dribble consistently) cannot do.

I think we need more of that. I like seeing Tayshaun start a fastbreak and sometime FINISH IT because the defender won't commit to the ball and Tay will dunk on them. We need more of that. Whenever Billups runs the fastbreak, he either pulls it back outside or drives and kicks. We need more guys that will attack the rack.
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

@Jackattaq
    some players abuse him- just like Pierce did during the regular season. I don't want Tayshaun to look like Corey Maggette, but I do think he's too skinny- he could do even more with some extra pounds.
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The two guys that give tay problems are Pierce and RJ because both are extremely strong and like to go inside. Some of the other strong shooting gaurds like to shoot more than post up. I think if Tay got stronger that would be very good because we could throw in an athletic lineup with Amir and Maxiell and Tay could play the PF.