Tayshaun Prince injured during USA vs. Brazil

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by hlbimage, Aug 26, 2007.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, there was one play in particular that points this out. There was an alley oop pass thrown in the first game and LeBron and Kobe both dunked it. Even on the replay, it was hard to tell who to give the bucket to.

When Kidd is on the break, he can throw it to Mello, Lebron, Kobe, or Dwight Howard!? Basically anything that doesn't hit the roof will be caught and dunked.

The most impressive thing to me, besides Kobe's defense, is Kidd's ability to strip the ball from his man. Even though I'm rooting for the US, it is just annoying the way he does that. It looks like he's fouling the guy, but every replay shows a clean strip. I'm a big Billups fan, but Kidd is doing a better job than Chaunce would be doing in the starting lineup.

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That could mean that CB may have more confidence in the guys he 's running in this tounament finishing it or these guys along with Coach K's guidence know how to get open when needed. Hopefully Flip Sr is there taking notes and will have tapes to show CB's Piston mates how a successful fast break is run during training camp...:stirthepot:

3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It couldn't hurt.
    :nerd2:

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One thing I really like is that Team USA is triggering their advantage with defense first, similar to the '04 Pistons. It takes an enormous amount of effort to do that.

I hope that Chauncey and Tay realize that they will need to bring the leadership to the Pistons this year that Kobe (cough) brought to the US Team. He is "leading by example". Effort is contageous.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think competition brings out the best in Chauncey. He has pride.

Being on a team like this, he's neither the leader, nor even a key component. He's surrounded by guys who are at the least equal to, if not much greater in stature.

Chauncey plays best when he is pushed, and doesn't get complacent. I don't think the Pistons have done as good a job motivating him the last two seasons. And that's not all on Flip.

@TaShawn - Kidd is the truth. The guy is a guaranteed HOFer. Even at his age, a lot of wear on those tires and injuries, he still sees the game as well as anyone, and finds a way to compel his body to be a willing participant.

6. Tyskillz

Tyskillz First Round Draft Pick

Wade taking the spot of Tay or a great shooter like Mike Miller would be an unfortunate mistake... Indeed D. Wade has a very good player but I'm not exactly sure if his game works in the international game... International ball isn't all about being a high flyer and getting refs to bail you out when out of control or in trouble. It's about playing smart team basketball with an imphasis on sharp outside shooting. Thus the reason guys like Tay & C-note made the squad in the first place. Bottom line I think Kobe & Lebron have handled the slasher duties very well in wade's absence, not to mention this squad is already sort of smallish with lebron & mello playing lots of minutes as pf's. Therefore Tay's length, size, and versatility is even more valueable to the team.
    Actually I kind of figure if they got rid of someone it would perhaps be one of the guards like Chauncey or Deron Williams. Clearly both Chauncey & Deron are better true pg's than wade, however I feel the stern & co would cave to the will of their one of their chosen stars as they usually do... Politics always seem to find their way into our beloved sports folks... I'm sure all my true blue fans still remember how zeke was snubbed from the dream team courtesy of mj & sidekick pippen...
    Oh yeah, I'm VERY glad Tay's injury doesn't sound to be too serious so far, GO DETROIT PISTONS!!!

7. Tyskillz

I must say that although he isn't scoring as much as others it is so clearly obvious that Kobe Bryant is the best player on the team and pretty much the league. Mind you all that I'm no big kobe fan but being able to see his game & skills side by side with lebron's and it's really no comparison for me... Kobe handles, outside shooting, defense, bevy of moves, are all just superior lebron in my book. Granted lebron is likely the higher leaper and better athlete, that's about all I can see as an advantage he has over bryant. Seriously even kobe's passing seems to be equal to if not better than james right now... But with a squad like this it's gotta be sort of easy to look like steve nash passing the rock.

Bottom line I certainly like Team USA's chances a WHOLE lot better with Kobe on the team! The difference he and j. kidd are making so far in play and leadership is VERY noticeable.

8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stern and Co aren't picking the teams (why do you think we're winning?) :MusicBigGrin:

9. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Prince OK ... for now - Detroit Pistons Insider - MLive.com

10. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

with the guys you named running the fast break with you, most of the forum members would run them in a sweeeeeet way :MusicBigGrin:

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

So, through 5 games, here are some interesting stats for Tay.
    1. He has the 2nd fewest minutes played on the team behind only Tyson Chandler. 67 minutes compared to Michael Redd's 104.
    2. He has the fewest fouls on the team with 2.
    3. He is tied with Dwight Howard for 2nd on the team in total rebounding with 23 boards. That's almost 14 reb/40 min!
    4. He is tied for 1st on the team with 21 defensive rebounds.
    5. eFG% of .421. Not great, but not terrible.
    6. Assist to tunover ratio of 4:1, which is excellent.
    Overall, he is really over achieving on the rebounds. That is the kind of effort that will get you injured.

And just for the heck of it, I want to make a comparison between Chauncey and Kidd. We all know they have different styles, and having watched the games, I think Kidd's is more effective.

But, if you add the points they score combined with the points they assist on, their scoring production is similar.

Chauncey- 32 points + 26 points off of assists = 58 total points
    Jason Kidd- 7 points + 50 points off of assists = 57 total points

How do you like that?

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Most of your stats on Prince are misleading since Tay only played in 3 of the 5 games (he got injured a few minutes into Game 4).

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

On the contrary. Because he has such limited minutes, his stats are all the more impressive.

He isn't 2nd on the team in "rebounds per game", he is second on the team in TOTAL REBOUNDS.

My point is that he has been rebounding out of his mind for his size and his position. So has Carmello Anthony by the way.

14. BillLaimbeer

Okay, I see your point.

Have you noticed that some of the superstars (Kobe, LeBron) ignore Tay and CB when they are wide open sometimes?

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Well, Kobe ignores everybody sometimes. And he looks pretty stupid when he misses a gratuitous 3-pointer or the triple pump reverse layup attempt when he's surrounded by so much talent. With that roster, the US team should only have wide open shots or dunks. And for the most part, that is what they are getting.

But yeah, Billups and Tay get ignored a bit.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's a good ego check for the Pistons.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is exactly what I thought when I watched the first game. The other players are obviously better and CB and Tay seem to realize it.

It is clear that the Pistons' system is their strength.

18. Tyskillz

Don't be so naive my friend... I can't prove it but I have a hunch if stern & co want wade on the squad bad enough they could make it happen...
    With that said I too am happy that stern & his slappies aren't choosing their pets for this squad, just seems like it would be a true conflict of interests.

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I didn't see any of the game last night against Puerto Rico, but Tay had 7 points and 6 boards in 19 minutes, so I guess the ankle is pretty much OK.

20. BillLaimbeer

Tay looked fine. He was flying all over the place. He even got called for goaltending when he snared a Puerto Rico layup high off of the backboard.