Tayshaun Prince, One of The Most Underated Players In The NBA

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, May 27, 2009.

1. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

2. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

OK, one thing I don't agree with and I'm only finished with the first paragraph is the following statement:

"Rarely scores above 24 points, never drops below his regular 15."

In order to average 15 points for every game of 25 you have a game of 5. If he never went below 15, his average wouldn't be 15. Just sayin'.

I guess the reason I didn't notice him was his next to nothing playoff average this year. I'm gonna start callin' Tay "Copperfield" cuz he's got one hell of a vanishing act.

For the record, I've never been a fan of Tay's. Too laid back & doesn't have that killer instinct.
  3. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I like how Tay didn't care about getting the leftovers, and he was having a phenomenal beginning to the season (All-Star like), but then being forced to PF happened and afterwards having to play Point Forward.

But there's stuff that there's not to like about him. Like what he does in the playoffs against stronger SFs and burning out in the season/playoffs doesn't suit with me.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It is interesting to see how Orlando goes at LeBron and the toll that making him work on D can take on him. He is probably yearning for Turk to palm the ball in the corner for 15 seconds a possession.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Tayshaun Prince has small luggage.
  6. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yeah, his 34% shooting in the last 3 Eastern Conference Finals is really underrated.

I'll try to be fair and read that entire article, but I doubt I'll be able to keep my lunch down while do so.
  7. buffaloBRAVE

buffaloBRAVE First Round Draft Pick

well he has underachieved in the playoffs, but daam give the guy a break! He has probably played more minutes than any other piston the last 3 years! That has to take a toll.

This year Curry hardly ever took the guy out of the lineup! He can play but if Pistons want to keep him, they need a guy who can spell him for at least 20 minutes a game, including playoffs.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He is really the only starter without a backup.

I'd still say that Tay is either our best player or our second best player. Between him and Rip, it is a toss up IMO.
  9. buffaloBRAVE

its funny cause there are other guys on the team with more talent, but he is the guy the Pistons could never afford to take out of the game!
  10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Prince has never been this team's best player... ever. I don't know about this past year, but it's kinda pointless to debate who the best player was on a 39 win team since no one in particular played outstanding.

Prince was playing pretty well early on in the season. But he faded down the stretch and into the playoffs, as per usual with him.
  11. Tha Locstah

Best or second best player on the 8th seeded team in the East.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think you just have to appreciate Tay for who he is. He is not an All-Star. He is not a go-to guy. He is often called a "glue" guy. He is an above average defender. He has great basketball IQ. He needs a coach to give him more direction on offense (like "Tay, don't stand there with the ball for 15 seconds"). He certainly could be an important "piece" to a championship team.
  13. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sure enuff, he's walking definition of "underrate" .
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's right.

No matter how bad you think we are, we're worrying a lot about one of our strongest links right now. It is the weakest links that we should be concerned with.

Rip and Tay are the 2 last players that we should look to upgrade.

1) we need a center (Gortat, Kaman, Przybilla, Darko, George Mureson, anybody).
    2) we need a replacement for Sheed (Bosh, Boozer...)
    3) we need a strong 6th man (Ben Gordon/ JR Smith caliber... preferably at the SF spot. Not sure who would fit that description)

Maybe after all those things are accomplished, I would consider upgrading Tay.
  15. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I take it that I was the only one that felt good about Kwames performance in that Cleveland series? Definitely not a Top Tier center in the league, but I saw great glimpes of passion and will, that I didnt see from anyone else out there. Lets coach this guy up, and get him some bigger hands and I think we have a good starting center.
    Sign Pachulia to back him up, sign Boozer to play the four, and resign McDyess to back-up Boozer.
  16. buffaloBRAVE

I thought kwame played well, he played decent D and thats really what you need from your center, considering its nearly impossible to find a center that can defend and score.

Funny thing though, after all these years who is the best center in the league? I think its still shaq! lol

I like Boozer also but most pistons fans are scared of the guy
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree...and you need some guys like this to rebuild around.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Kwame played well this season. But... probably not a long term starter. I would love to have him as our primary backup C.
  19. Tha Locstah

I agree with you that we have more pressing needs but I feel Tay can be an important tool to help us get some of those much needed pieces. Wouldn't you trade Tay if it meant we could make a major upgrade to one of our more pressing needs (assuming we can get someone to fill in for the void left by him)? What about picking up another SF and Tay filling that 6th man roll. Maybe he would be more useful to us in that roll and not get tired out by all the minutes he logs....
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We can't even get a suitable backup for Tay. How are we going to replace him with someone better if we use him as a chip to get a Center or other position?

He's underpriced already. That is the perfect situation. We have a versatile, under-the-radar, underpriced, defense first glue guy with more deep playoff experience than anyone in the league at his age. If you watch him closely, you realize that he is like a coach on the floor. He's constantly pointing things out to players and analyzing the situation. Similar to Chauncey... if we lose Tay, we lose more than his production alone.

I don't think any of the nit picks against Tay's game are wrong, it's just that they seem minor to me in the grand scheme of things. Most players have flaws. Tay makes up for deficiencies in certain areas by being extremely well rounded. When you watch him play, you have to realize that he is doing many things that other SF's don't bother doing and factor those into your opinion of him.

The only real argument that persuades me against sticking with him is that we are in the age of Lebron and the Championship path through the East could go through him for the next 10+ years. If Tay is a particularly poor matchup against Lebron, then maybe it is wise to upgrade the SF above all other positions.