1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Tayshaun Prince: Stealing Money?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by linwood, Jan 29, 2007.

?

Is Tayshaun Prince stealing money from Bill Davidson?

1. Yes. Prince has been living off "The Block" while cashing Bill's checks.

26.3%
  2. No. Prince contributes at both ends of the court; earning his money at 40+ per.

73.7%
  1. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

It's not that black and white man.

Tay has contributed and at times he has not.

Just another matter of either playing on a well-rounded team that doesn't really know who gets to be "THE" guy who gets plays called for him every night or simply his willingness to just defer to the other guys.

From what I've seen, Tay may defer too much at times and when he's on he can take over a game.

With regards to just him stealing money and being worth less than what we paid him for, I think not. He contributes. In more ways than what shows up in the stat sheet.

:sssh:

2. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

I don't know which way to vote on this discussion, but, in the end, I just wanna say, there is nobody as immune to criticism as Rip Hamilton. He gives the most consistent effort on the team, adds something to his game every summer and treats his body like gold. He's gonna be playing until he's 40. Hopefully all that time it'll be with us.

3. linwood

linwood All-Star

What is Tayshaun earning this year? I looked around, but couldn't find his salary for this season.

For Tayshaun's salary, name the small forwards you would rather have starting for the Pistons. Rookies and first contract guys don't count.

The only person that comes to mind that's in the same ballpark is maybe Nocionni. Someone help me out here.

4. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Prince is paid $7.9 million this season.

No-rookie-contracts is a difficult constraint to work around (and it takes care of Nocioni as well), but here's a short list:

Mike Miller (7.5); Caron Butler (7.4); Ron Artest (7.1); Quentin Richardson (7.0); James Posey (6.4); Shane Battier (5.4).

5. linwood

linwood All-Star

7.9 million is certainly real money. You can't include rookie contracts, because those don't reflect the true market value of a player.

Of the above list, I would take Prince over Miller and Posey, because I believe he is a better player. Statistically, this season he is much better than Posey, and just below Miller. However, I have never seen Miller come up big in a playoff game, and I have seen Tayshaun do it many times.
    I would take him over Ron Artest, because Artest isn't very dependable (he is very talented though).

Statistically this year Tayshaun is a little bit better than Battier in every catagory except steals, but Shane does make less $$. Richardson gives you two more rebounds than Tay, but falls short in every other category.

I just don't see that any of these guys are noticably better than Tayshaun. If Tay really is as over rated as you believe, there HAS to be a significantly better player out there making close to the same money.

6. linwood

linwood All-Star

Forgot about Caron Butler. This year Caron looks much better than Tayshaun. So I ammend my above post.

If Prince is so over rated, there must be more than one noticably better player making the same salary! :)

7. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Overrated doesn't necessarily mean overpaid. The market in a given year can produce some strange deals - I'm sure you think Prince is a considerably better player than Mike Dunleavy, for example, and yet Dunleavy has an almost identical contract.

I'm not really concerned about the statistics so much as the qualities each player could bring to the team. Of the six players I listed, Posey and Battier are better defenders and rebounders who can also dependably hit jumpshots; Richardson is about as good a defender, a better rebounder, and has a better post-up game; and Miller can shoot, slash, and make plays. Ron Artest probably doesn't have as much value as Prince in the eyes of most GMs, but he's one of my favorite players, and that counts for something on my list.

8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Ron Artest is also one of my favorite players as well!

9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i wouldn't take any of these players over tayshaun

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Josh Howard. He's going to make more than Tay next season because his agent isn't blind. Josh Howard does everything that Tay does except he does it better, So when Dallas made an offer that was less than Tay's new contract Stevie Wonder could see that wasn't going to work. Honestly I think that what people want to see from Tay is what we are seeing from Josh Howard this season. They're practically basketball twins but it is clear that Howard is having a much better season than Tay. In all fairness J-Terry is sacrificing some numbers so that Josh can get his, and it's clear that Josh is the #2 guy after Dirk, and the Mavs centers are just there to clog the lane and pound the glass. In order for Tay to shine Chauncey is going to need to sacrifice some numbers and Rip needs to get a bit more efficient with the fga's. But while Josh has ascended to a #2 option I don't think that Tay is ready to take that role from one of our starting guards.

Funny when LB was here and Tay had his best season that got him paid, the focus for Tay was to hit the o-glass and run hard in transition, and then throw him a backdoor cut or two in a game with a post up up here and there. The rebounding, backdoor cuts for oops, and filling the transition lanes made Tay active in the game, now sometimes we wonder if he's even on the court.

If we ran a share the ball, make the extra pass offense, a swing the ball weakside offense, Tay's #'s would be different, but Flip's offense is a one pass (maybe 2) and done type of offense that drives me up the wall. I recall that we had at least 4 plays in our play-sets that could get us DUNKS
    1-Rip and Ben's P&R where Ben gets an oop.
    2-Sheed used to run a P&R that yielded an oop
    3-Tay used to catch baseline oops against zones
    4-Remember Dyess, Sheed, and Ben used to post up and then spin on their man to catch an oop from Chauncey.
    In all fairness to Flip I'm not sure if Dyess and Sheed still have the legs to run some of those, but damn I'd still like to see a hint of a designed play that yields a dunk, not a jumper.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If Ron-Ron had a normal brain he would be making $12mil.+.

12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Gasol and Miller. I believe someone mentioned that awhile back.

If you don't think you need a real 3pt. shooter, then go look at the west. The dirty secret of the west is just that.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

"Prince was the only starter that showed up, along with five reserve players, for Tuesday's optional shoot-around."

Why would he be putting in bonus time when he's thieving?

Maybe he read this thread and thinks he is going to play with the bench unit from now on and wanted to get in some practice with them?

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

TaShawn,

If you don't show up for optional shootaround, you don't get your Mango and Beetroot Gingko Biloba ankle wraps.

It's pretty much a no-brainer that a health conscious guy like Tay would want to get all of his daily vitamins and minerals in the prescribed amounts from Arnie Kander.

Duh.

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Prince did score 14 points in the 1st half last night. Coincidence?

16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

LOL. It's the pumpkin seeds and cucumber where the magic is at.:)

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Never underestimate the powers of Mango.

Thanks for the heads up. This poultice mixing stuff is really better left to the masters. Average guys like me who play chemist end up with singed eyebrows and a pile of rubble.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe we could include Kander in a trade if he has so much value.

Nazr + Flip Murray + Dale Davis + Kander for AK47. I think it works. Utah would obviously be getting the best of the deal with a guaranteed 5-10 years of injury free seasons. We could even throw in some mangos.

I'm sure Sloan would love the chance to work with Flip and Naz. Plus, they'd get the expiring contract in Dale.

What would this do for the Pistons? We would then have a great opportunity to move Tay to the bench and use Amir Johnson as our backup Center. win-win-win.