Team is primed for run at Finals?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Sanddunes, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Sanddunes

Sanddunes First Round Draft Pick

2. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

I don't care about Rosenberg's writing credentials but I agree with the article so Amen Michael Rosenberg.

Go PISTONS!
  3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Let's hope so and Fino remains a factor come playoff time.
  4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thanks Sandunes, very good article.
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Good article Dunes...a few missed free throws from a win with Billups out ain't bad. I'm encouraged by how we played them and how we are playing in general.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I thought so too.

I really liked his balanced perspective on Ben Wallace leaving. How the change was good against teams like Dallas and Phoenix, but bad against San Antonio. Also how it may help us win the ship IF we make it out of the East without him.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Bills...good to see you.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good article. It appears that we are still under the radar compared to the western teams, but much more prominent than we were in 2004 when we came out of no where to shock the world.

Coming that close w/o Billups may have some rethinking about how good the Pistons really are, but I know despite what Avery says, Cuban loved beating the Pistons and Mr D in their own building as he knows they may be making a return trip there come June.
  9. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Dre.......This would be a great Finals matchup and what a joy it would be to defeat loud mouth Mark Cuban. His "Western Conference defense" chant mocking Deeeeeeetroit Baskkketball, may come back to haunt him.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

With Cuban around, I'm not sure if that would help or hurt with the refs.

It would be a quotable series however.
  11. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

that Delfino remark was uncalled for. Its not Delfino but the development allotted to him. To overlook that is to overlook the impact maxiell could have. We need these guys in order to win. They might only have an impact on 1 game in the whole playoffs but in a 7 game grind, you're gonna need it.
  12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We are going to the big dance, period. I am going out on the limb and saying what everyone is hoping and feeling.

The real competition (was) is Miami --but with a healthy Wade. I doubt that Wade can be 100% otherwise I would have feared that we could not contain both he and Shaq.

Cleveland did not step up this year and we were already folding against them last year in the playoffs creating an illusion that they were good.

In the finals, I wouldn't guarantee a win but I definitely would not bet against us either. This team is at a championship level. Sheed better start at least placing an order for the belts.
  13. Sanddunes

Potential champs and also-rans

The Detroit Pistons have the will, but not the power. Without Rip Hamilton's perpetual baseline scamperings, curls, back-cuts, and pops to stretch defenses into disadvantageous alignments, the Pistons rely too much on isos. Moreover, history shows that once the going gets rough, Chris Webber produces more flubs than game-winning heroics. Even worse, Detroit still has too much trouble defending high screen/roles. If the Pistons break down before the finish line, then the next prominent vehicle on the scene should be a truck backing up to the players' exit at the Palace.

FOX Sports - NBA - Potential champs and also-rans
  14. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Personally I would like to see us face the Spurs.

Payback is always the sweetest.

:hoops:
  15. Sanddunes

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm not sure we're good enough down low to get past the Heat.... I sense domination in the paint... the higher % shooting team usually wins... unless the other team can force a lot of T.O.'s
  17. NYCpistonfan

NYCpistonfan Second Round Draft Pick

Re: Team is primed for run at Finals? Not so sure

I love my "Home" team...but having forked over $200 for league pass to watch them (I live in NYC) I am so so disappointed in this team. While the regular season is not that important, character is! What is it going to take for them to bother playing in the first quarter, when there in a playoff elimination game in the first round, because that what could happen. I been thinking of suggesting to our boy flip that he play the dying for time bench in the first quarter as I am sure some hungry player would at least keep us close instead of needing a 20 point deficit to WAKE UP. I can count at least 7-10 games this season that were basically unwatchable. In each of them the end was a given: Pistons get way behind then fall short in the come back. I just don’t have a feeling that this team is good enough to play flip the switch ball they think they can.
  18. NYCpistonfan

NYCpistonfan Second Round Draft Pick

PS

They could loose to Cleveland / Miami or get upset by Washington If they pull it together and get to the finals they definitely could beat the Suns. Dallas would be tough / Spurs close. But all the teams in the west will have a home court
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We have played Phoenix, Dallas, and Houston now without Chauncey at 100%... and we have done OK. CB should be our best player come Playoff time.
  20. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

The Huston game was a deja vue of the way we nearly lost to Cleveland and did lose to Miami. They clogged up the middle early so that we could not get to the hoop. It then becomes a game of whether or not our jump shots are falling, which overall seems to be less than half the time. There must be a way to counter this...Flip has had nearly a year to come up with something. Rip and Chauncey flipin em up is not the answer. They seem to fold when this situation comes up. Come on Flip.