Team USA/Olympics

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by max, Jul 25, 2008.

1. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Quicks from game against Aussies :
    "He's old." KB24 said it right.
    How many times Melo lost his man ? Everytime. He and Kid should've stay at home.
    So sad to watch CP13 got intimidate.
    DH played like a deer in the head-lights.
    LBJ, Wade was playing liked no to morrow.
    Coach K was in the dilemma of win the game or split the minutes for everyone to taste.
    Don't know what they're having in their sleeves but I worry.
  2. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not a bad result for us. We kept it respectable and our defense has been pretty good. Although not many people have heard of any of our players, we have quite a few experienced guys and we are getting better as a team. We missed out on having Bogut during a lot of our lead up games because he was waiting to sign a new contract with the Bucks. So we're still fitting everything together.

Chris Anstey has played a few seasons in the NBA. (Bulls and Mavs)
    David Andersen plays for the Euro champs CSKA Moscow.
    Patty Mills just completed his freshman year in College with decent numbers.
    Newley was drafted by the Rockets last season but played in Europe.

And of course Bogut, who was rested for the Olympics. He will be good to go.

That said, this is probably the toughest and most even Olympics ever.

USA, Spain, Argentina and Greece will be the powerhouse nations, with Russia, Germany, Lithuania and hopefully Australia trying to spoil the party.
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Beer, putting words in my mouth is a little desperate.
  4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

If the USA does win the gold, it will prove to me that Coach K is a MUCH better coach than Larry Brown.
  5. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I would say he was the right coach for the job.
  6. max

max All-Star

Browns problem was that he was trying to teach lessons rather than win games.
  7. ggazoo69

Yup. You got that right, Max.
  8. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

When is the first game and is it going to be televised?
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i think 9 AM EST on sunday, nationally televisted on NBC
  10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

So the US got off to a good start with a 101-70 beatdown over China. It was actually close for most of the first half, with China hitting a bunch of 3s (Yao managed to hit a 3 on their first possession) and the US bricking all its jumpers, but a big run by the US near the end of the half led into a lopsided 3rd quarter where China went ice cold. The 4th quarter was all garbage time.

In part, it was the old familiar routine of recent international competitions: lots of steals and unstoppable fastbreak finishes for the US vs. the 3-point gunning of the other team. One good sign for the US was that they really stuck to taking good shots on 3s, far more catch-and-shoot on open looks than taking a few dribbles and pulling up off-balance for a bad shot. The bad sign was they missed practically ALL of those shots for most of the game--at one point in the first half, Mike Breen said they were something like 1-12 on 3s but 21-25 on 2s!

The big challenge will probably come when the better teams--Spain, Argentina, etc.--can keep hitting shots all game long (unlike China, which couldn't hit anything after half time) and keep up the pressure on the US to convert on the other end, especially with fewer opportunities in transition. So a big question will be: if they stay disciplined and only hoist up 3s on good looks, will they eventually start falling (i.e. they missed today just because they were nervous in the first real game of the competition), or do these guys just suck so badly at catch-and-shoot that they won't be able to overcome it?

Breen and Doug Collins mentioned an interesting point that I hadn't thought of. The NBA is so enormously popular in China that the US team could very well enjoy a real homecourt advantage against other teams (though obviously they didn't have that today against China), as opposed to some other recent international competitions where everyone wanted to see the big dogs get knocked off.
  11. max

max All-Star

Excellent recap. Missed the game but I almost feel as though I just watched it.
  12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

The highlights from the game should be fun to watch. LeBron had a couple of really sick blocks, and there were some vintage throwdowns too. Yi actually had one of them for China in the second half, a monster putback over Carmelo.
  13. ggazoo69

Don't know what Carmelo's stats were but he looked like crap out there to me. Glad the Pistons didn't work a deal for this guy. Tay should get Melo's minutes.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is definitely not NBA style bball. It was just a steal/ fastbreak bonanza for the US team and a 3-point shooting prayer fest for the Chinese.

Other teams should really limit the US fast breaks at all costs. I know it's easier said than done, but it was like and1 out there.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Their prayers were not answered. Reminded me of some Piston games.
    Just jack up shots baby............:)
  16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Heard a very interesting comment from an interview with Kobe. The interview was done before he left for the Olympics. He was asked, what is the biggest challenge facing the Olympic BB-Ball team?

He responded, international play is very physical. They allow (the refs) much more contact than we see in the NBA, there are no biased calls!

Needless to say, I almost veered off the road as I was listening to him say that on my car radio.

So, how will Wade, LeBron and Melo react when they don`t hear that whistle when they are slapped acroos the wrist or barely touched at all.

If I was the opposing coach I would make it a point to be physical with them.
  17. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yes, Carmelo was bad against China, and his stats reflected it. Kind of surprising, since he was the USA's leading scorer at the qualifying tournament last year and in the world championships in '06 (I think). Wade more than made up for it off the bench, hitting all of his shots from the floor and from the line--he was the leading scorer for the game. I would expect Melo's numbers to be better in the next few games.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was surprised to hear the announces compare Lebron's height and weight to Carl Malone's. They were so similar that it made me realize how agile Lebron is for his size.
  19. ggazoo69

Kobe was actually called for traveling during the game. That's a rare sight indeed.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

They actually call traveling a lot in international hoops.
    Most def an adjustment for the average NBAer who gets 5 steps to get his feet set right for a highlight dunk.